Page 1 of 2
Limbo, maybe? I'm sure we'll do it eventually. I hope they wait to do it until I get my Pod XT so I can finally have good tone in a recording :p
What do you want in the backing track? Just bass and drums? With Rhythm accompaniment? Would a riff be better or a chordal arrangement? Should it have parts? What's a good length. Most of the tracks I have are 15 plus minutes (which obviously won't do) and often very skeletal to allow more freedom when developing ideas. 1:30 to 2:00mins be alright? Longer shorter?

If I get some time I'll see if I can put something together but I haven't done this before and don't know what you're looking for in a UG Jam BT. Ideas welcome but whether I use it or not is another story. If someone beats me round to making a BT - no big deal.
Si
Ideally the length has been best between 1:00m and 1:30m in my opinion.... this way it doesn't get too long.

Have you heard any of the past jams? If not, then you can hear the BT's on my profile, you will just have to ignore the crappy lead! Failing that EDG probably has most of them on his page.

Feel free to make a track and then the top dogs here will probably morph it into something good for the job.
Quote by branny1982

you will just have to ignore the crappy lead!

Stop being sarky, you play some good stuff dude.
I'm all for it, though I'll be using a keyboard.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
^do you want to make some sort of a BT? I think keyboard BT's sound better personally.

Let's make it a more modes-friendly progression? Or will that be too boring with the vamp and whatnot?

to be fair, the original jams were kinda mode based, notabley the phrygian jam 3.
Quote by branny1982
^do you want to make some sort of a BT? I think keyboard BT's sound better personally.

to be fair, the original jams were kinda mode based, notabley the phrygian jam 3.

I can try to throw something together. I suggest collectively deciding the type of jam we want to do, because giving me creative control is going to result in some very weird shit (I actually want to try out some major based pitch axis progressions. The one I've been toying with consists of: Cmaj7b5 - Cmaj - C7b5 - C7sus4 - C6)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Last edited by Archeo Avis at Sep 10, 2008,
Im thinking of buying a pod as I have no current means of recording. How is this jam put together? What format is the BT in when i get it? Im definatly interested but if im not set up by the time it comes around ill definatly be ready for the one after.
i keep wanting to do a metal jam for you guys but i know thats pretty niche. i'd be interested to hear some of you guys chops though.
I don't know if I could jam on this because i dont really have a recording setup, but id love to try.
anyways, if anyones interested in a modal vamp i made a backing track based off this vamp Govan starts at like 1:10. great smooth Dorian sound
One of the original loops I did hasn't been used yet -- I think it's the dorian
one.

I'd suggest keeping whatever the BT is pretty non-esoteric to be widely inclusive
over taste and skill levels.

Basicly, the BT is an MP3. You download it and record something on top of it.
There's many ways of doing that, but it seems many use Audacity (which is free)
with a Mic. Not generally the highest quality option, but it's one way.
Alright so if I do a BT, edg has one, Ead has one, Archeo does one on keyboards, Z4twenny does a metal track we'll have five. We can do one at a time and have a different UGJam once a fortnight for the next ten weeks.

I don't have a problem with something "esoteric" much like one vision I'm up for anything. It's a lot of fun to meld your style with someone else's isn't it?
Si
Quote by branny1982
Have you heard any of the past jams?

http://www.myspace.com/ultimateguitarjams <--- ug jam 5

i think backing track should be around 1 minute long
^I was guilty of that. I was getting too technical with the first BT I started. I had a beat with odd accents and was trying to squeeze 3 different chord progressions (some of which were made up of six different chords) into a minute. My bass line started doing all sorts of crazy things and I had just started adding in a horn section. Then read your post and thought to myself - yip that's me I'm going over the top, this is supposed to be a jam not "compose a complicated one minute song without a melody".

I put my work aside and started on a new BT. If someone already has one ready post and let's do this thing.
Si
Quote by 20Tigers
Alright so if I do a BT, edg has one, Ead has one, Archeo does one on keyboards, Z4twenny does a metal track we'll have five. We can do one at a time and have a different UGJam once a fortnight for the next ten weeks.

If people don't mind making them, then this sounds a good idea.
I am all for using EDG's Dorian jam first and then using the others as they are created?

1 per fortnight is too regular, it would be a struggle to do 1 per month i think. Depending on who mixes it.

here are EDG's BT samples-
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/edg/music/play98940

I think the Dorian one begins at 42secs.
Last edited by branny1982 at Sep 11, 2008,
1 jam each 2 months would seem like a nice regular interval IMHO.

Oh yeah... I'm back :P
So I'll be joining in on jam 6 if I can, so I'll be here awaiting a backing track.

Cheers,

Pandora
Quote by edg
The progression doesn't have to be needlessly clever just to be clever. More
complicated and more drop out. IMO, the more the merrier. I don't really care
what it ends up, but the original idea was to make it something fun for most
abilities.

Yea im not a very advanced player yet in means of theory. Im constantly working on it but I dont play with modes yet. I just try to determine the key and play with fitting scales in that key or relative minor/major what have you. Basically just have ideas in my mind and try to zone out. The best improvs I do are when i have an idea of target notes and scales and then just space out and play. Some progressions are tuff for me to feel. But I will definatly try. Im getting a pod this weekend so I should be in on this one as long as i can figure out audacity and get a decent tone/recording with the damn pod.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Some progressions are tuff for me to feel. But I will definatly try.

for what its worth i recommend starting with a real simple melody at first, anything that is easy and compliments the chords/riff behind it. then after a bar or 2 of that build off of the melody and keep adding motifs to it.
Quote by branny1982
If people don't mind making them, then this sounds a good idea.
I am all for using EDG's Dorian jam first and then using the others as they are created?

1 per fortnight is too regular, it would be a struggle to do 1 per month i think. Depending on who mixes it.

here are EDG's BT samples-
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/edg/music/play98940

I think the Dorian one begins at 42secs.

I'm up for that.
I've already got something in mind. It's largely natural minor based, so people shouldn't have too much trouble with it.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Im getting a pod this weekend so I should be in on this one as long as i can figure out audacity and get a decent tone/recording with the damn pod.

I've got a few recording options. I've always really liked the Korg Pandora 4D for
practicing. I noticed they came out with a new 5D, and a great product got greater.
This thing does just about everything. The 5D adds a USB connection and comes
with Ableton Live Lite which I'm finding is an awesome product in its own right.
Great recording combo for guitar. I can't recommend the 5D enough.
Really what is the cost? Im up to my eyeballs in bills as i recently purchased my first home. I did side work for the last few months so i have little extra but the most i can really spedn is about 300$ as im scared to spend more due to the shitloads of money oil heat will cost this winter. Im in New England so it adds up fast.
I did some research the korg does seem like a better deal because you can loop it and you cant do that on the pod. And also that software that comes with it seems really good and is worth some money. I think ill go with that instead of the pod. Thanks for the tip. Are your recordings in your profile from the pandora? THey sound clear and I like your tone.
Quote by /-\liceNChains
Are your recordings in your profile from the pandora? THey sound clear and I like your tone.

No. Those are mostly with a Guitarport/Riffworks. That works ok, but Riffworks,
while simple to use, is an extremely limited recording toy compared to Live. The
Guitarport is tied to a computer whereas the Pandora is a small box you can fit in
your pocket and runs on 2 AA batteries (or USB power or AC adapter) and you can
plug in anywhere with just headphones. Plus I'd say sound/effects quality is a bit
better on the Pandora.

Totally ignoring the recording on the computer part, the Pandora is just amazing
in itself. It's got multieffects, amp & cab modeling, a drum & bass machine,
metronome, tuner and it's own onboard phrase looper. The looper lets you
record progressions (up to 80 secs) along with bass & drums and than jam
over it. You can even chain the bass & drum samples into entire songs. It has
an aux in for CD that lets you record a bit of a solo, then you can slow it down
without pitch change to figure it out. Best practice tool ever!
Quote by branny1982
Who is with me on just using EDG's Dorian track and starting a jam going fairly soon?

EDG, whenever you get the chance, and if you would be so kind, could you make a BT available?

Yeah. I could have it by sat or sun. If I have time I'd like to make a better version.
If not, I'll just dup the sample.
I wanna try this
I finally have recording equip plus a new amp:]

Edit: and I 2nd the metal jam idea, if it's a metal jam I might not sound like total shit.
Last edited by stratkat at Sep 12, 2008,
Page 1 of 2