My EMG pups should be arrivng today and I was going to have them installed. The more research I do on the net, the more I think this may require more work than I thought. I am taking it to a local shop to have them installed, but I have read that I may need to replace the jack on my guitar so it has 3 prongs. I also read that there may be an issue with the pots.

Has anyone on here ever put EMGs in their LP and, if so, what was involved?

Thanks.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Fender Hot Rod Deville 212
Quote by Rio38
My EMG pups should be arrivng today and I was going to have them installed. The more research I do on the net, the more I think this may require more work than I thought. I am taking it to a local shop to have them installed, but I have read that I may need to replace the jack on my guitar so it has 3 prongs. I also read that there may be an issue with the pots.

Has anyone on here ever put EMGs in their LP and, if so, what was involved?

Thanks.

you'll have to swap out all the pots and the output jack, but EMG supplies all that for you with the pickups.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite
you'll have to swap out all the pots and the output jack, but EMG supplies all that for you with the pickups.

So I will lose the original LP Volume/Tone knobs? I need to find a picture of what the EMG knobs look like.

Just got confirmation they were delivered. Woot!

Edit: Never mind. I see I can still use the original knobs, it just gives you the shafts and pots, correct?
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Last edited by Rio38 at Sep 10, 2008,
not the knobs, you can use those again, you're just replacing the potentiometers, the things that actually control the volume and tone.
Founder of the C.F. Martin & Co. Guitar Owners club.
YOU........should join if you have a Martin.....!!!!
JOIN

My Band: Abaton

Abaton

Check out some of the acoustic stuff on my profile if you want
Yeah they replace the potentiometers and input jack and suches.
They'll put the original knobs back on afterwards.

Edit:

To answer the question, yeah I put EMG 81 and 85 in my Les Paul Custom
Being installed as I type.

Thanks guys.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Quote by X-Choko
Then post how does it sound . I'm just imaging it

The transplant went off without a hitch and it sounds incredible. I did not get a chance to crank it to max through my AD30VT yet, just normal bedroom level due to the kids.

I took it in at Noon and had it back by 5:00 pm the same day. My local shop is awesome. The tech pretty much went through the setup to make sure it would be exactly like I wanted it while I was standing there and then I left and she put the pickups in.

Besides looking different with the black pups instead of the silver Alnicos, it now feels and sounds better. I am usually in Drop D so she set up the lowest action for that tuning. She even filed a bit of the fret to eliminate some fret buzz.

If I was better at playing, I would post some sound clips.
Gear:
Fender Strat
Epi Joe Pass Signature
Epi LP Plus Top
Jackson Dinky
Last edited by Rio38 at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Rio38
The transplant went off without a hitch and it sounds incredible. I did not get a chance to crank it to max through my AD30VT yet, just normal bedroom level due to the kids.

I took it in at Noon and had it back by 5:00 pm the same day. My local shop is awesome. The tech pretty much went through the setup to make sure it would be exactly like I wanted it while I was standing there and then I left and she put the pickups in.

Besides looking different with the black pups instead of the silver Alnicos, it now feels and sounds better. I am usually in Drop D so she set up the lowest action for that tuning. She even filed a bit of the fret to eliminate some fret buzz.

If I was better at playing, I would post some sounds clips.

man your local shop is awesome. i took my guitar in for a setup once and didnt have it back for 3 days.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.