Page 1 of 2
my friend (the drummer) started going on about gibson les pauls, saying they were amazing and blew all other guitars out of the water. i said that you could get a copy(epiphone). and he said that all copys were shit.

obviously there is a difference but. with gibson do you pay for the guitar or the name on the headstock

my dad talked to me about it and he said fender make better guitars and my teacher who has been playing for 35 years said so too. my dad also said at the end of the day what makes a good guitar are the strings and pickups.
remember kids, you can't spell bass without ass

RIP Jimmy 'The Rev' Sullivan

Quote by _bacon_

Also, I would tap Helena Bonham Carter like a Van Halen solo.
Last edited by WARLOCK123 at Sep 10, 2008,
Il'd imagine that it comes down to personal preference/ what sound you want in the end but with Gibson you do pay more for the name really and production quality has dropped somewhat these years. None the less though they are still nice guitars I just think you can get a better or equal quality guitar for less.
They ARE overpriced, and you do kinda pay for the name, but they are nice guitars.
You shall listen to Kamelot.
comparing todays gibsons to the ones in the 60's and 50's, the older ones were definately better. that being said i think that today you are actually paying for the name. my guitar teacher admitted to me that the quality is progressively foing down with most guitars and he uses gibson. you friend is an idiot saying the epiphones are crap. some of the high end epi are better than the low end gibsons
Well, lets put it this way, Gibsons cost more than the some of their parts and are overpriced but I couldn't imagine playing anything but a Les Paul, there's just something about them that you can't put your finger.
The les pauls are a touch over-priced, I'll admit, but then it seems to be their flagship guitar. The SG's are nice pieces of kit -I'm still very happy with my faded special, and the V's and Explorers have a real nice sound to them.
They're not buck-for-buck 'The best guitars in the world', but they're not exactly shite either. You can get some bad ones, but that's true of everything these days, you could get a bad PRS if you were particularly unlucky.
[ Not to sound Spinal Tapp, but I'm not sure about taking guitar advice from a drummer My old band's drummer was a good player, and a good technical understanding, but his choices weren't exactly great - Mind you, he's into grunge, so maybe that was the point].
I'm not so sure about the high-end Epiphones (Elitists and the likes), But then that's mainly because I've never been able to get hold of one. If you fancied some customising, you could buy an Epiphone and then replace the pickups with Gibson brand ones and get pretty close to the same sound for half the price.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
IMO Fender > Gibson
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
My impression is that they sound great, better than any other guitars I've played, but they're terribly uncomfortable to play.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by Sonicxlover
My impression is that they sound great, better than any other guitars I've played, but they're terribly uncomfortable to play.

First to admit when your reaching around the heel it can be hard at first, tho i sorta got used to it. Great guitars, overpriced yes, play one and decide
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
I have a Gibson LP Classic and I like the feel way better on my Alexi and Schecter, and both of them added together weren't as much as the LP. But I definitely like the feel of how they play better, and how they sound.
Quote by Snapple
First to admit when your reaching around the heel it can be hard at first, tho i sorta got used to it. Great guitars, overpriced yes, play one and decide

Well the neck is also quite uncomfortable.
Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
They are great guitars but not necessarily the best guitar out there. There is no "best" guitar. Different genres have different guitars that take the cake. Fenders and other nice guitars are definitively up there with Gibson.
Well, the only benefits of having a gibson over an epiphone, in my opinion, are that regardless of quality, gibsons consistently feel very solid, like a serious instrument, somehow, you have to play one to understand what i mean - you have faith in it not falling apart in your hands. all but the top end epiphones seem to feel a bit fragile in comparison, though by no means am i saying that epiphones feel like they are going to fall apart - i'm just saying really, that a gibson feels like its definitely not going to (despite the reputation for having weak headstocks). Also, gibsons just sound a lot better "off the shelf", and usually play a lot better too. I find it completely effortless playing on a Gibson.

It's not something i can quite put my finger on without writing a book on it... and i'm certain its not just the logo playing tricks on me. But if its something i'm not entirely aware of, i'll just stick with epiphone.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
They are incredibly expensive guitars but they are absolutly amazing!
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!
all copies are not crap. there are some copies which were so good that gibson and fender sued them to stop them selling them in the USA (e.g. tokai etc.).

strings and pickups are not the only thing which makes a guitar good, that's retarded.

there are companies making nicer guitars than fender and gibson, if you ask me. huber, tyler, suhr, tom anderson, vigier, etc. etc. etc. as jackolas said, it's opinions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
and did gibson/fender manage to get these copys of the shelf

Quote by _bacon_

in the USA. you can get them in europe, and certainly japan, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
These days you do pay a bit more than they're worth due to the name, but they're still the best.
everyone who doesnt play guitar thinks they blow all other guitars out of the water.

chances are if i got a guitar built just for me with everything i wanted it would be better than an LP

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by WARLOCK123
everyone who doesnt play guitar thinks they blow all other guitars out of the water.

chances are if i got a guitar built just for me with everything i wanted it would be better than an LP

Obviously a custom made guitar will suit a player better than any other off the shelf model. I think they are as good as any other guitar ive played, tho the amount of serious fanboyism and also serious haters gets boring, that gibson cant make a bad guitar or that gibson are overpriced and any guitar at a quarter of the price will be just as good (not talking value for money).
i dont hate them. its just everyone seems to worship them

Quote by _bacon_

I know it's a difficult concept for most to understand, but most things end up coming down to preference. Profound, I know.
Quote by WARLOCK123

exactly. who cares what they think? i doubt nuclear physicists are too worried about what non-physicists think, for example.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
exactly. who cares what they think? i doubt nuclear physicists are too worried about what non-physicists think, for example.

its just when you get people who will be like "oh your guitar is crap cos it isnt a gibson" or "anything other than gibson is crap cos gibson is the best"

the thing is my drummer friend didnt know what a gibson les paul was. and then i told him it was the looked like the guitar hero controller. then he starts harping on about how immense gibson is

Quote by _bacon_

Quote by WARLOCK123
my friend (the drummer) started going on about gibson les pauls, saying they were amazing and blew all other guitars out of the water. i said that you could get a copy(epiphone). and he said that all copys were shit.

obviously there is a difference but. with gibson do you pay for the guitar or the name on the headstock

my dad talked to me about it and he said fender make better guitars and my teacher who has been playing for 35 years said so too. my dad also said at the end of the day what makes a good guitar are the strings and pickups.

I took the time to highlight some fail
Quote by WARLOCK123
its just when you get people who will be like "oh your guitar is crap cos it isnt a gibson" or "anything other than gibson is crap cos gibson is the best"

the thing is my drummer friend didnt know what a gibson les paul was. and then i told him it was the looked like the guitar hero controller. then he starts harping on about how immense gibson is

I totally agree, and its hurtful as there are a good few brands out there. But its just annoying how polar views are on the subject, some people sound so disappointed, it makes me wonder if they thought the guitar was going to be some sort of great epiphany, that you can pick up a gibson and play well. On the other hand, yeah, the whole Gibson + Fender being the only thing out there is annoying, id love a PRS or jackson RR if i had the money.
I like the Gibson tone...but the feel really really sucks IMO, LP's feel like squares to me, and feel VERY sharp along the edges, and always dig on my rib cage. Ironically and to the ignorance of a lot of people IMO, the only B.C Rich guitar that does that is the Beast, the Warlock model, the V model etc. none that I've ever tried have ever dug into my rib cage. I dont think that Gibsons should be as expensive as they are today, I especially feel about the Standard series that they should be around 999 or so, at the max, Faded series at 300 and Custom series at around 1300 or so.
Last edited by Eric 666 at Sep 10, 2008,
Guitars are personal preference, I dont think there is a "best guitar" it just depends what you like, I generally prefer ibanez over gibson or fender but thats just my taste
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by WARLOCK123

who cares? they're idiots. if you cared and worried about everything idiots say you wouldn't have time to do anything else. letting them annoy you is letting them win. casting pearls before swine and all that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i can ignore most shit people say. but sometimes they will say something that really gets to me

Quote by _bacon_

well i prfer gibson over fender but yes gibson are overpriced
GEAR
Schecter Omen-6 FloydRose (Gloss Black)
Boss: Metal Zone
Boss: Pw- 10 v-wah
Boss: Ac-2
Crate: BX-40 Bass Amp
Classic Guitar
Schecter: Omen-4 Diamond Series Bass (Walnut Satin)
Peavey huge amp (I dont have it yet just saw it 1 time)
Quote by WARLOCK123
i can ignore most shit people say. but sometimes they will say something that really gets to me

yeah, i know.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
a les paul is very heavy and over a long period of time will hurt your back if you use a strap.
ive heard that the sg gibsons are really top heavy and if you let go of the necj it drops down quite fast

Quote by _bacon_

I'd rather have a PRS McCarty 2 than a Gibson lp, but I'd really like to have both. And personally I like the heaviness of the gibson.
Quote by Dave_Mc
all copies are not crap. there are some copies which were so good that gibson and fender sued them to stop them selling them in the USA (e.g. tokai etc.).

strings and pickups are not the only thing which makes a guitar good, that's retarded.

there are companies making nicer guitars than fender and gibson, if you ask me. huber, tyler, suhr, tom anderson, vigier, etc. etc. etc. as jackolas said, it's opinions.

Yes I own a Mann LP and it KICKS ASS!

Basically, I believe they were an offshoot of Ibanez and Gibby sued and won. Got them all removed.
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
Page 1 of 2