hey guys,

I've been researching ALOT on the Teuffel guitar line of models and have been mesmerized by Ulrich's ingenious architectural designs both in aesthetics (which I could care less about but DAAAAMN that shit is pretty hot!) and the sound itself. It's why I've decided to dedicate my earnings towards one of his models, specifically the Tesla line. Now here's where it gets a little cloudy for me (and my ears), there are three variations of the overall design. Classic, Studio and MIDI. That last one, MIDI is the guitar I'm most curious about, not because the other two are inferior, but because I'm somewhat confused as to what the fuss is all about with the MIDI version.

Which is why I'm here making this thread. I'm hoping one of you guys can help me with what the MIDI Tesla is all about. The site itself depicts the MIDI Tesla as having two separate jacks for each signal (analog/MIDI) one roland 12 jack and the old traditional 1/4" jack. That's just it, I don't get WHY they're separated. Separate signals are cool, it adds diversity and more possibilities in one's own creativity, but I just have a hard time understanding the separate jack (roland 12), what's it all about?

Now, it's not really a big problem and I'm sure that it's something that isn't too difficult to understand, but perhaps it's better for me to hear the damn thing as apposed to reading about it. Which is a problem since I don't live in Berlin and seeing as Ulrich is his own boss and he is his own employee, it's kinda hard to access such a guitar (after all, it is a custom shop in the fullest sense!) but maybe some of you have owned or own a Teuffel (hopefully a Tesla MIDI! : P) and maybe you could help me with your experience in said guitars. If you have any of your own sound clips or video clips that would be even better, but either way thanks for reading, I'd appreciate any support in helping a brother out!
Last edited by MegaSoft at Sep 10, 2008,
Maybe i'm missing what you're saying.... but they're separated because they're completely different connections. You can't have USB and Firewire in the same connection either....

The purpose of the MIDI connection is for recording. Say, you play a note. It could record that note into software and you can add effects to it. or you play many notes at a time, a chord. The software would know every single note played, separately and you can do different things to each note independent of the other. Like if you were to play a MIDI piano, it records the notes you are actually playing so that you can see the notes you played.

Of course, i might be retarded.

You should go research, yourself.
If you can afford one of those guitars, I wouldn't be listening to us. Research on MIDI is widely available. There's a place called Fine Guitar Consultants (www.fineguitarconsultants.com) that sells them exclusively in the US (if thats where you are). I'd contact them with any questions. Personally, I like the Tesla Classic with the noise buttons.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by banman
Maybe i'm missing what you're saying.... but they're separated because they're completely different connections. You can't have USB and Firewire in the same connection either....

The purpose of the MIDI connection is for recording. Say, you play a note. It could record that note into software and you can add effects to it. or you play many notes at a time, a chord. The software would know every single note played, separately and you can do different things to each note independent of the other. Like if you were to play a MIDI piano, it records the notes you are actually playing so that you can see the notes you played.

Of course, i might be retarded.

You should go research, yourself.

Ah shit, of course! I was thinking of it in a different context. Such as a live situation. Thanks for the reply it has helped quite a bit
Quote by MegaSoft
hey guys,

I've been researching ALOT on the Teuffel guitar line of models and have been mesmerized by Ulrich's ingenious architectural designs both in aesthetics (which I could care less about but DAAAAMN that shit is pretty hot!) and the sound itself. It's why I've decided to dedicate my earnings towards one of his models, specifically the Tesla line. Now here's where it gets a little cloudy for me (and my ears), there are three variations of the overall design. Classic, Studio and MIDI. That last one, MIDI is the guitar I'm most curious about, not because the other two are inferior, but because I'm somewhat confused as to what the fuss is all about with the MIDI version.

Which is why I'm here making this thread. I'm hoping one of you guys can help me with what the MIDI Tesla is all about. The site itself depicts the MIDI Tesla as having two separate jacks for each signal (analog/MIDI) one roland 12 jack and the old traditional 1/4" jack. That's just it, I don't get WHY they're separated. Separate signals are cool, it adds diversity and more possibilities in one's own creativity, but I just have a hard time understanding the separate jack (roland 12), what's it all about?

Now, it's not really a big problem and I'm sure that it's something that isn't too difficult to understand, but perhaps it's better for me to hear the damn thing as apposed to reading about it. Which is a problem since I don't live in Berlin and seeing as Ulrich is his own boss and he is his own employee, it's kinda hard to access such a guitar (after all, it is a custom shop in the fullest sense!) but maybe some of you have owned or own a Teuffel (hopefully a Tesla MIDI! : P) and maybe you could help me with your experience in said guitars. If you have any of your own sound clips or video clips that would be even better, but either way thanks for reading, I'd appreciate any support in helping a brother out!

you sir would make a great editor
Quote by MegaSoft
Ah shit, of course! I was thinking of it in a different context. Such as a live situation. Thanks for the reply it has helped quite a bit

Live, you could plug the midi output into a guitar synth (at least Roland makes them), or, well, a lot of different synths. Thus you can make your guitar sound like a violin or piano. It's still the notes you play, it just sounds like a piano.
Quote by Lunchbox362
This thread if fail in almost every way imaniganable.