Poll: so?
Poll Options
View poll results: so?
people can be born evil.
28 11%
everyone is born evil, influences cause some to show it.
45 17%
noone is born evil.
143 55%
other.
44 17%
Voters: 260.
Page 1 of 6
Do you think a person can be 'evil', or are we just a product of our influences?

To pick an example, I'm going to say terrorist bombers. I believe that these people aren't bad or cruel, but they have been manipulated by their peers, their upbringing, propaganda, the society they live in, and I think that anyone who is put in that situation would do the same thing.
This is why I find the death penalty abhorrent- if the executioner had lived the life of the murderer, then they may have also been driven to murder. You cannot weed out evil, because it is caused by underlying problems in our society and environment, not by certain people.

Another example- Hitler, and the Nazis. Did they act the way they acted because they were evil people, or did they act that way because they were misguided?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
How many people have seen little kids take toys away from others? Noone teaches them to do it.
Evil is real in my mind. Evil is acting and not having any remorse or guilt for what you've done, no matter how big or small.
Quote by MeRcI-BuCkEtS
Evolve?

Evolve Festival 2007: Aug. 2nd, 3rd & 4th!!!
Evolve Festival 2008: July 25th, 26th & 27th!!!
Evolve Festival 2009: July 17th, 18th & 19th!!!
Sunflower Valley
Antigonish, Nova Scotia
www.evolvefestival.com
Quote by saphrax
I agree with smb's post from the apparently vanishing thread...

Sorry about that, I bollocksed up the poll and didn't want to look like a tit.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
My religion wants us to believe that people are all born evil and we have the weight of original sin on us; however, my personal beliefs go against that; I believe exactly what you do: people are not born evil, but are influenced.
Hmm... this is kind of a toughie.
Everyone is born a sinner, that is certain, but I wouldn't necessarily stretch that to evil.

But, if someone enjoys making people miserable, then yeah, I think that person would be considered "evil" in a sense.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
maybe you should reword it evil is kind of a strong word. I don't really know if there is a difference between evil and just do bad things.
Some people are born with certain things that make them more susceptible to being bad. Most of it is just environmental factors.

I read a lot of books on this subject and it's one of things i find most interesting.
empiricism states that you start off as a blank slate and develop knowledge of what is good and bad and stuff like that through experiences
Evil exists in society, but only because it is a component of our being. If we were left to our own devices so to speak, varied traits would come out of it, some positive and some negative.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Are animals evil?

No because they do not know better and must do what they do to survive.

Humans are animals, except we have greater consciousness therefore we should know not to do wrong things, but we do them anyways. We cannot be evil when we are born because a child does not know better, it steals other kids' toys, but it doesn't know it's wrong. We choose our degree of evil/good we are as we grow up and begin to understand the impact of our actions.

If that makes sense.
Quote by BodaciousDude
Nt every1 is born evil but every1 has da capacity fo evil.

Word.
Well, just doing bad things on occasion would be considered sin, and everyone sins.
A person who loves to hurt people, and thrives on it, would be considered evil in my book.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
I don't personally believe in evil or good. It's just there. People act from the programming of their mind. And because of that, they forget how to live with happiness and love. Of course outside influences affect their thought pattern, but eh.

I agree with you though, TS, no one is born like that.

/OPINION. Don't tell me my beliefs are wrong.
My gear:
Schecter C-1+ w/ Seymour duncan Jazz (neck) and Full Shred (bridge), with Sperzels
B-52 LG-100A 4x12 half stack
Rogue LX405 Bass
Yamaha classical
Some sort of acoustic Squier
Boss Flanger
Lyon Chorus
When i was like 1-2 or something i bit a kids ear at a daycare. Noone had taught me to be mean but i did it anyway. If one person kind then most likely we all are, because we all do things that we know we probably should not.
They didn't consider themselves as evil because they thought, and still think, that what they are doing is for the greater good. One man's terrorist is anothers freedom fighter.
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
YOU WILL LOVE EACH OTHER
//////////////////////////////////////HEALTH
I think certain people are just bad eggs and certain people aren't and society helps bring out those basic charecteristics, but as Batman proved (well maybe not "proved") good people can go bad ... if you take away half of their face.
I remember that sexy film called this. The guy ****s Angelina Jolie.
DANK MEMES
If we weren't born evil, there would have never been evil and we would have no need for rules.

Children must be taught to be sociable, otherwise they naturally grow into a state of dog eat dog...

We're born with the capability for good, we just have to be taught to let that influence us more than self-preservation which is seen as 'evil' when it is done in a major form such as killing another man and stealing his food.
show me someone, lets make it easy, 5 years or younger that has never done something wrong and I would say maybe they were born good.
some people are born screwed up in the head.

Most become screwed up due to their environmental conditioning.
your not born evil, theres no way. you only become bad through what you experience. if a kid grew up in a room with nobody around and had no encounters with people or anything he wouldn't be bad just uneducated and scared. and wouldn't no how to act when meeting people, i'm sure his first instinct wouldn't be to hurt or kill, probably would run away
People can be misguided, that's not an excuse for doing "evil" things though. A person who does something horrible and knows that it is horrible is an evil person imo.
It's one of the fundamental arguments in Psychology, the idea of Tabula Rasa, which means something like "blank slate"
Carl Jung was a believer in the Tabula Rasa idea, and quite alot of his work is pretty interesting, about different parts of spirituality and somesuch
Drive me home Jeeves
Quote by GarlicBread
It's one of the fundamental arguments in Psychology, the idea of Tabula Rasa, which means something like "blank slate"
Carl Jung was a believer in the Tabula Rasa idea, and quite alot of his work is pretty interesting, about different parts of spirituality and somesuch

thank you, called empiricism

good job!
Quote by ViperScale
show me someone, lets make it easy, 5 years or younger that has never done something wrong and I would say maybe they were born good.

Show me a 5 year old who has never done anything good and I'll say we are born evil.
Quote by NeverMeant
Show me a 5 year old who has never done anything good and I'll say we are born evil.

That proves nothing because I never said we were born with no good. I just said we were born with bad in us.
I would argue that there is no such thing as evil at all. Some people are bad, but I feel that 'evil' is a useless concept that makes little sense.

As for it being with you from birth, I think that nobody can be born fully bad. Surely some people are more susceptible to influence, and some people are maybe naturally a little bit more violent, say, but environment probably plays a larger part in how they turn out.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
You can see when you study different "evil" people. There was an 11 year old girl who killed two toddlers. As a child her mother used to prostitute her and while the men abused her by cutting her legs and penetrating her, her mother used to hold her and calm her.

When she killed the toddlers she cut their legs and strangled them by holding them and calming them.

My point being is that it's easy to pass judgement on people, but if we had the same upbringing as them we may well be just as ****ed up.

Even so most "evil" people are sick and deserve to be locked up.
Last edited by Greenie_777 at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by monkey_dancer
I would argue that there is no such thing as evil at all. Some people are bad, but I feel that 'evil' is a useless concept that makes little sense.

As for it being with you from birth, I think that nobody can be born fully bad. Surely some people are more susceptible to influence, and some people are maybe naturally a little bit more violent, say, but environment probably plays a larger part in how they turn out.

So do you believe there is a certain gene in us like the genes that determine how tall we will be?

so let kill this simple.
x= short or bad
y= tall or good

xxxx - short bad
xxxy - short-mid bader
xxyy - mid avg
xyyy - tall-mid gooder
yyyy - good tall

(yes i know those are not words)
Quote by ViperScale
How many people have seen little kids take toys away from others? Noone teaches them to do it.

i belive that we are born selfish and we take what we want in order to survive (granted taking a toy isnt a matter of survival but taking food of younger or weaker people would have been the key to survial) and thats were we learn that behaviour from as we get older we are influenced by others and the people arounds us.
Quote by texico11
You also need to remember that alot of people that we consider bad, don't consider themselves bad, and i don't think it's because the're misguided, because there's no frame of reference, so we could infact be the ones miss-guided.

I hate to bring religion into this, but alot of terrorists act because they believe what the're doing is right, where as we believe those actions are wrong. Without apsolute proof that "god" does not exists, we can't really be in a position to call them "evil" (because for all we know, a god could have created the universe and it's laws and left it to it's own devices, which we would have no way of proving or denying because it would be outside our universe and therefore impossible to observe).

Morals do not come from a God. Logic and reason define our morals, or at least should.
Quote by bass is bestest
i belive that we are born selfish and we take what we want in order to survive (granted taking a toy isnt a matter of survival but taking food of younger or weaker people would have been the key to survial) and thats were we learn that behaviour from as we get older we are influenced by others and the people arounds us.

Then it comes down to your view. If you consider selfishness to be bad or good. I personally think being selfish is a bad thing so if everyone is born selfish then they are born bad.
I believe that people are bastard coated bastards with a bastard filling.

I-I

I----------------I

TheOneAndOnlyIsaac

Quote by ViperScale
Then it comes down to your view. If you consider selfishness to be bad or good. I personally think being selfish is a bad thing so if everyone is born selfish then they are born bad.

A child doesn't know he is being selfish though. He is just acting on impulse. Can you say that is evil?

If a normal, healthy grown adult steals a woman's purse, that is evil because he knows he shouldn't do it.