I am looking for a new amp and am contemplating between the Peavey Valveking 212 and the Vox ad100vt.
I play mainy classic rock and rock blues style music so soloing is important.
I also have a zoom g2 and would like to know which amp would work best with this.

Any help would be appreciated thanks
he vox has more options, the Peavy is more raw in my opinion

you should play em and see what you like

im guessing you might get more support for the Vox though....Iv never played the Vox but have on the Peavy and I did like it.

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
I would say the Valveking would go best with your Zoom.

The effects on the Vox will probably clash with the effects on the Zoom. (I have a Cube 60 and that happens unless I'm on the clean channel.) And if you only use the clean channel, you're wasting most of what you spent on the Vox, and a Valveking+Zoom should be just as versatile as the Vox.

But yea, definitely play both first.
I am assuming you are comparing based on price and similar watts/#of speakers? I'm asking because I don't think they are that similar. The VK is an all tube amp and the Vox is a hybrid/modeller.

blues and classic rock only?
what is you total budget?
where do you live?
do you gig?
do you need 100 watts?
can you look at used amps too?

Personally I didn't care for the Valvetronix stuff but there are plenty of people that love them. I agree the Zoom will probably work better in VK unless there is a true clean channel on Vox. I really would not recommend a 212 unless you REALLY think you need it.

Valvekings are 10x better with a Bad Monkey OD, EQ pedal, new speaker(s), new tube(s).

imo

PS for Blues and Classic Rock only a used Peavey Classic 30 can be had for under $500 and may suite you better.

Edit: from Voxamps dot com

feature our patented VOX Valve Reactor found on all Valvetronix products. The Valve Reactor circuit uses a 12AX7 triode vacuum tube together with an actual low-wattage tube power amp circuit....

So one preamp and one poweramp tube.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 10, 2008,
I own a Valveking and my little brother owns one of those Valvetronix amps. Both are great but they are very different from each other. Try them both out in a store but bear in mind the Valveking might sound bad at first in a store but will sound great when you tweak it in and get the volume up a little bit.

The Valvetronix is really versatile but since you already have a Zoom g2 you can do the same effects in the Valveking. I have tried the zoom in my Valveking and it's aright but I prefer the raw sound of the amp. Sometimes i hook up a Ibanez DE7 in the effects loop but that pedal doesn't change the sound the same way a g2 does.

The Valveking is more old fashion with no digital effects. The reverb is a real spring reverb and sounds way more vintage than the Vox. You can plug in almost any guitar in the Vox and it will sound aright but the Valveking is a lot more picky about what you plug in. On the other hand, a good guitar will only sound average in the Vox but in the Valveking you can really hear a lot of difference between guitars.

Both great amps and I suggest you try both.

Edit: Yea I forgot... Do you really need 100W? Usually a 30W amp will play more than loud enough and sound better. Especially if you go for a tube amp. I have a three watt tube amp hooked up to a 2*12 cabinet and it can easy play over a drummer and I know gigs would not be a problem even if I haven't tried. My Vavleking 112 I have used under gigs and it stayed totaly clean even when I was way to loud in the mix.
Last edited by Brisse at Sep 10, 2008,
^^ Eh the Valvetronix only uses one 12AX7. All else is solid state.

Of these two, easily the Valveking IMO. But you think you need a 100w 2x12 amp. You don't. A mate of mine owns a Valveking 212 and you can hear it down the street when he has it on 1, it's just too much volume. If you're getting one, get the 112. 50w of all tube power (equal in volume to about 140 SS watts) will be enough, if not too much still.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
thanks... so its clear that a 112 is the most i would need.
and yes i do play mainly blues and classic rock, but a good distortion would also be neccassary.
My budget is £250 (around $450). is ther any alternative tube amps at this price range and how do they compare?
Give both amps a try and decide what you like. Try out some other amps in your price range also.
'N' is for neither.

Yeah you don't need 100W unless you're planning a national tour sometime.

Out of the two I would take the Valvetronix, but probably because I despise the ValveKing.

If you can stretch to perhaps a Blues Junior + OD pedal, or a Peavey Classic 30, those would be good options too.

Orrrrrr, if you're really really lucky, you can sometimes find a Tiny Terror in your price bracket, but of course you'd need a decent cabinet to go with it which would add another £100 or so. Worth it IMO, even if you're not considering it, keep an eye out for a cheap/used one.
The Crate V series tube amps are on (insane) sale!

V33 212 is $249
V50 112 is $199

i have not played these but hard to beat for price and would be good at blues and classic rock.

Fender Blues Jr for $469 new is good too for what you want. Lacked overdrive for me but could be boosted with a pedal.

check your local craigslist too.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Crate V series tube amps are on (insane) sale!

V33 212 is $249
V50 112 is $199

i have not played these but hard to beat for price and would be good at blues and classic rock.

Fender Blues Jr for $469 new is good too for what you want. Lacked overdrive for me but could be boosted with a pedal.

check your local craigslist too.

I always forget about those, I get confused with the Palaminos, which AFAIK are not in the UK.

+1 to this guy, he has (half) a brain.
I've been hearing good things about the new Peavey modellers lately. Supposedly their amp models are fairly accurate.

I personally don't think that the Valveking sounds THAT much better than the Valvetronix, and regardless, you'll almost certainly want to upgrade either way in the long run if you become serious about guitar playing.
Should go pretty well with the V50 and for the price it's tough to beat. Would a used Laney VC30 be an option at that price?

311 (half) a brain, pretty sure he's on all 8 cylinders,
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by gregs1020
Should go pretty well with the V50 and for the price it's tough to beat. Would a used Laney VC30 be an option at that price?

311 (half) a brain, pretty sure he's on all 8 cylinders,

haha

and yes the Crate (or Laney or similar) will take your Zoom pedal better than the Vypyr.
how about an epi vj? thats a good way to save some money or go with the crate vs
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube
Quote by Don_Humpador
'N' is for neither.

Yeah you don't need 100W unless you're planning a national tour sometime.

Out of the two I would take the Valvetronix, but probably because I despise the ValveKing.

If you can stretch to perhaps a Blues Junior + OD pedal, or a Peavey Classic 30, those would be good options too.

Orrrrrr, if you're really really lucky, you can sometimes find a Tiny Terror in your price bracket, but of course you'd need a decent cabinet to go with it which would add another £100 or so. Worth it IMO, even if you're not considering it, keep an eye out for a cheap/used one.

This.
Quote by gstacey1
how about an epi vj? thats a good way to save some money or go with the crate vs

The Epi VJ is totally outclassed by the VK. I mean, sure, it's great for its price but the Valveking has many more features, amongst them an equalizer, distortion, reverb tank and effects loop (not to mention the variable class a/ab knob, presence, high gain/low gain input...)
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
The Epi VJ is totally outclassed by the VK. I mean, sure, it's great for its price but the Valveking has many more features, amongst them an equalizer, distortion, reverb tank and effects loop (not to mention the variable class a/ab knob, presence, high gain/low gain input...)

And the Blue Custom 30 totally outclasses the Valveking.

The Valveking is very comparable to the Crate V50, though the latter is half the price right now, and I prefer the tone of the Crate, personally.
Get the Valveking, ditch the G2. It's one of the 7 deadly sins to use a multi FX pedal with tubes.

I have the VK and it sounds great, but when I plug my Zoom G2X into it, it sounds terrible.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
Get the Valveking, ditch the G2. It's one of the 7 deadly sins to use a multi FX pedal with tubes.

I have the VK and it sounds great, but when I plug my Zoom G2X into it, it sounds terrible.

Do you run it in the effects return and use it as your preamp, or do you run it in front?

Using a multi-fx as a preamp and then using a tube power amp is not a bad thing.
I think the v-50 is probably the one for me... ill try them all out anyway

Thanks guys

and yes i use it as a preamp
Last edited by tom_martin_123 at Sep 10, 2008,