hey all
decided that i need a new amp
im in a band, and we do some small/med gigs (bars, college parties, some other stuff)
i really like the fender twin reverb, but im not sure if its too much power for what i need, so any real suggestions would be awesome
also, i have a limit of around $1700, but anything cheaper is also in play
oh, and i play a telecaster american standard
any questions, just ask
thanks!
1700??? wow, you can pretty much get what you want lol

what kind of music do you play? will you have access to mic through a PA?

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
The twin's a great amp. But yea, what do you play? Nice budget and tele, cheers.
Would you consider buying used?
i play mostly classic rock, alt rock and then just some metal...
i loved how the twin sounded with and without pedals, so thats why im considering it
and yes, i would strongly consider buying used
Iv played on a few Fenders, and they work very well alone or with pedals
with that kind of budget, look at new - I know I would

are you looking for a stack, half stack, or combo?

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Are you in the US? If so I would get two used amps. A used Fender twin or used Vox AC30 combo and a used Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo and an A/B/Y switch.

Edit: Cheaper - Used Vox AC30 and a badass metal stompbox for the occasional urge to chugga chugga.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 10, 2008,
combo
and 1700 is the max i could possibly spend, but id rather spend alot less if i can
if i want to spend 1700, then i have to wait until feb or march.
but if its significantly less, then i can get it much sooner
Quote by gregs1020
Are you in the US? If so I would get two used amps. A used Fender twin or used Vox AC30 combo and a used Mesa F-30 or F-50 combo and an A/B/Y switch.

Edit: Cheaper - Used Vox AC30 and a badass metal stompbox for the occasional urge to chugga chugga.

+1

gregslist!

oh wait - craigslist.
Quote by rederdust
how are the cleans on the vox?

Great. But since it's just a bit of metal, the twin and a good stomper may work for you as well. The twin and the vox have completely different voicings. Vox= beatles+zeplin=british tones. The fender = srv + beach boys + lynrd skynrd = american tones. Both can be pushed to "some metal, early metal" with the right stompbox but neither is really ideal for it. They are ideal for everything else you play, classic rock / alt rock, even blues if you want to go there. Nice dilemma to have...

Edit: 311 - gregslist.... LMAO
Quote by rederdust
how are the cleans on the vox?

Cleans on the vox are a different flavior then the Twin, they are much darker and when pushed to break up sound amazing. If you really like the Twins cleans then I recomnd you try a AC30 before you buy because they are WAY different. Both are a standard for a clean tone though, its just a matter of which flavior you like. If you real into fender cleans and classic tones, I would look into a Early 1970 twin, (without a master volume) Those are still had a reasonable price and will beat out any of the curent production models. If you get one it will need service for sure unless it has already been done by the prevouis owner. You Should be able to find one well under 1000 dollars, and will still have enough to buy nice botuique pedal to make the OD sound like heaven.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
I'm kinda leaning towards the twin based on the youtube videos I pulled up. They do get pretty heavy in some songs. You really should venture out and try them. They are completely different animals.
^ Huh... Twins Get heavey?? Not without pedals, you must mean an AC30
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
found a 1973 twin reverb for $500
should i try out the vox first?
oh, and what pedals should i look at?
Quote by Johnbryant
^ Huh... Twins Get heavey?? Not without pedals, you must mean an AC30

I meant from listening to the song the band's tone got heavy. Should have been more clear, yes a twin or an ac30 would need help to hit the heavier parts of say this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lL-I40d0uo
^^ How much do you want to spend?
If you want to keep the price down the Jekyl and Hyde is a good Choice that is to pedals in one, OD and DIST. and can cover any from SVR-Metal. Good Choice for 150 dollars.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
Quote by rederdust
found a 1973 twin reverb for $500
should i try out the vox first?
oh, and what pedals should i look at?

You should try them both before pulling the trigger and as many others as you can plug into. Know what's available to you so you are sure when you do buy. That is a good price for a 73 twin. I haven't played enough newer pedals to rec anything besides a Maxon OD808, it's the only thing I've tried lately. It's a good pedal but probably not as versatile as the Jekyl and Hyde Johnbryant listed. I have seen those get rec'd for an across the board pedal.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 10, 2008,
ok, no music stores near me have either of those amps used, so should i go try the twin reverb reissue? or is it too different from the one that im looking at (1973)
also, any other amps that i should look at?
Honestly try that '73 twin. That's a hell of a nice amp really. With the right stompbox it should be good for what you play. And later in life should you choose to, you can sell it for the same of more. Make sure everything is working on it, and give it a good run. Bring your guitar so you know exactly how it will respond to you. Reissues are rarely as good as originals, that's coming from a guy that owns a "reissue". Good luck.