I'm looking for some sort of headphone amp. Right now I sit my little 10 watt Marshall M10 practice amp next to me on the couch, and plug in a pair of headphones.
There are 3 problems that I'm hoping to overcome by replacing this setup:

1. The power cord is too short, so I need to either run an extension cord or sit the amp midway between me and the wall socket.

2. It's a pain. Between the amp, my cord and the headphone cord, I wind up with a tangled jumbled up mess that's just a pain. Keeping this stuff next to the couch also infuriates the wife, so I need something that can be made to disappear.

3. It sounds terrible. The cleans are fine, but any amout of overdrive or distortion is just a fizzy mess.

I also have a 15 watt Spider III that could serve the same purpose. It sounds far better through headphones than the marshall, but it's even bigger, which my wife of course hates.

So, I'm looking at some headphone amps. I've done some searching, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of good info out there, so I thought maybe this thread could serve as a dumping ground for any/all headphone amp input.

Here is the list of products that I've found so far:
Vox Amplugs - AC30, classic or metal
Dean Stack in a Box
Line 6 Pocket Pod
Pocket Rockit V1 & V2
Rockman Guitar Ace
Danelectro Estudio

The Line 6 certainly seems to be the most versitile and offers the most tones, but it seems to offer too many bells & whistles for what I want. Plus battery life is said to be terrible, so I'd still be confined to using a wall wart, and would have just as many cords all over the place that I have now. Other than it's smaller size, I see no benefit to it over my Spider III.

I love the sound clips of the Vox AC30 and classic amplugs that I've heard. The drawback here is that they seem like they could be a 1 trick pony in terms of sound, and having that thing hanging off the end of my ibanez seems like a recipe for destruction.

None of the other items on that list seem to get much chatter on the forums, which is why I figured I'd make this thread. If anybody has feedback or opinions, please feel free to fill me in.
I say POD for versatility and it should sound much better then the rest.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Pocket Pod.

As you say the Amplugs sound ok but they truly are one trick ponies, which works for some people, I guess.

I think the fact that the Pocket Pod can be taken around and used with other amps, when, say, you don't have yours with you, makes it an excellent choice. Reasonably priced for what you get, too.
My concern with the pocket pod is that I really don't minimize any of the mess I'm dealing with. The only benefit I get is increased sound quality, but since this is just me noodling on the guitar while watching TV (and usually just during commercials because the wife bitches when I even play unplugged during shows), so it seems like a lot of bother considering the situation. Maybe a 1 trick pony is all I need. My major complaint with the Marshall I'm using now isn't it's lack of versatility as much as the lousy sound and the mess of wires.
I have the Metal AmPlug and I love it. You only get volume, gain and treble and bass control but it sounds pretty decent for a $40 headphone amp. I only use it in conjuction with my PC practicing songs on Guitar Pro. It's perfect for that.
Quote by Jim85IROC
My concern with the pocket pod is that I really don't minimize any of the mess I'm dealing with. The only benefit I get is increased sound quality, but since this is just me noodling on the guitar while watching TV (and usually just during commercials because the wife bitches when I even play unplugged during shows), so it seems like a lot of bother considering the situation. Maybe a 1 trick pony is all I need. My major complaint with the Marshall I'm using now isn't it's lack of versatility as much as the lousy sound and the mess of wires.

Sounds like a new wife would fix all your problems

And a side note if your looking for something simple I hear alot of people praise the VOX plugins...
Pocket Pod +1
or a micro cube...but thats a little bulky...
Theres also the AmPlugs which are nice little units from what I hear...(ive not tried one myself though)

Anyways ive tried many of those "micro" amps and they sound crappy because of the plastic case and tiny speakers....takes out the mids and bass a lot...

A good FX unit and headphones will sound great, the PP runs on batteries so you are not tied to a cable.
The reviews that I've read seem to be consistant in saying that they get 4 hours or less out of batteries. That's 4 AA batteries every other night. Even with rechargables, that's a pain in the ass.
Get two sets of AAA batteries, get the highest mA/Hr rating, thats what makes them last longer....

use one set as you charge the other.

I use this Energizer 15 minute charge set, the batteries do work well
http://www.energizer.com/products/hightech-batteries/rechargeables/Pages/rechargeable-battery-charger.aspx
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 10, 2008,
I just bought an AC30 amPlug and it's awesome. I tried both the AC30 and the Classic. It was a difficult decision. The AC30 is generally more bright and the Classic has a fatter sound. The AC30 cleans up a lot more, but with single coils it's difficult to get a rounded fatter sound. It's really worth buying both and I probably will.

Nothing better than hanging your guitar on the hook with the amp and headphones with it. You can just pick up your guitar, slip on the phone, and walk anywhere strumming away. Much more convenient than trying to lug a pod or phone amp with an extra cable.

The amPlugs are not that much of a one trick pony when you consider the tone can be changed quite a bit with the controls on the amp and the guitar. If they only had a 3 way switch so that all 3 models were in one it would be the deal of the century. Maybe a little reverb too!

edit: forgot to add that I put backing tracks on a small MP3 player and plug it into the amPlug.
I'd go for the amPlug. I wasn't very impressed with the build quality of my Pocket Pod- ended up selling it. Perhaps you should look on ebay for a Pod 2.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.