I got a Black Ice overdrive today, and I wanted to double check before I install it. I want to install it on a volume pot for two reasons, one being my guitar doesn't have a capacitor to replace on the tone pot since it has this weird VCC system. Secondly, the pickup combo and this on the volume knob should give me the desired Weezer Blue Album crunch

So should I mount it as if it was a resistor in the circuit?
Yes, pretty much. Looks like it'll work. If you mount it to the volume pot, however, it'll always be at full "O.D." since the pot will ALSO control the volume. That's why they say to replace the tone cap with it. You can have it at any level you want, but the volume will also get tweaked.

Idk if I explained that well enough...
Last edited by Invader Jim at Sep 10, 2008,
Thanks for your help, thats how I understood it but I just wanted to make sure. Its just going to affect the neck pickup (DiMarzio Super 2), so I should be able to go from a nice rhythm crunch to a cleaner lead sound with the flip of the three way.
^unless it's a 2 volume/2 tone set up, like in a les paul.

..thats what I would assume he has, anyway. So he's just putting it on the volume pot of the neck pup.

I think..

Otherwise yeah, TS, you'll be affecting both pickups if you've got a master volume.
Quote by james4
^unless it's a 2 volume/2 tone set up, like in a les paul.

..thats what I would assume he has, anyway. So he's just putting it on the volume pot of the neck pup.

I think..

Otherwise yeah, TS, you'll be affecting both pickups if you've got a master volume.

Yup. You got it right.
firstly did you actually buy the black ice thing from stewmac?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
haha what a waste, lol...

about 2000% overpriced though, heh. meh oh well learning experience!
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial