Hey I'm just beginning to learn Artificial Harmonics, and it seems as if my amp (or pickups) can't handle the harmonics, as I can hear it slightly but it doesn't roar like Dimebag's or any other artist. I hate this, and I want to know if I'm just doing it wrong if it's my gear. My gear is in my sig, and everything on my gear is stock parts, excpet for the trem on the Ibanez whioch has been blocked off. Thanks!
Gear
Dean Dimebag Dixie Rebel Guitar
Ibanez RG 220 B Guitar
Laney HCM60 Amp
Scott Ian Black 8 Sig Pedal
Digitech RP80 Pedal
Behringer AC108 Vintager Amp
you cant just start and make em sound like dime takes alot of practice man just keep praticing them
Lets make a toast...To women's underwear its not the best thing in the world but its next to it...
I realize this, but it almost sounds like my equipment at this moment is too bad to handle it. I'm getting a Krankenstien head at some point, and the Dean Dimebag Dixie Rebel really soon, but I just wan to know at this moment if it's my gear or me.
Gear
Dean Dimebag Dixie Rebel Guitar
Ibanez RG 220 B Guitar
Laney HCM60 Amp
Scott Ian Black 8 Sig Pedal
Digitech RP80 Pedal
Behringer AC108 Vintager Amp
First, he isn't just doing artificial/pinch harmonic. What he is doing is pulling off on a string, dumping the bar, and then doing a natural harmonic in the locations where you can play them. After he hits the natural harmonic on the dumped string, he bends the bar back up and gets his trademark horsey squeel.

Okay, first, watch this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TpYcA9bSaU

He shows you how to do it. Also note that a wah effect helps and don't forget to set your delay to the same time that Dime had his set to. You can hear in that video when he stops playing, you can hear the delay continue a bit. It is a fairly aggressive delay.

That should help you out.
Regards,
PowrSlave
yes also the real key to harmonics is treble/gain, high gain means louder harmonics, vibrato helps to bring them out too.
Another thing is the recordings you may be listening to are *probably double tracked (can't think of the right term for it now, basically you record something twice and play them over each other), which generally leads to a bigger, better sound. ZW does this, and I believe he said that's why he gets the insanely crazy great sounding AH he does.
yay for Satch's whammy techniques. Dimebag used to play a heap of his songs early on.

But if it's anything its probably your pickups, get actives if you really want to capitalise on the whole artificial harmonic scene.

BTW i'd just like to officially thank Freepower, after reading your thread on technique and watchin a few of your vids on youTube, my playing and attitude have really improved, so, thanks
Last edited by Zyzzvya at Oct 7, 2008,
Its probably mostly you. Gear can make a differeance but i bet dimebag were he alive could definatly make your guitar scream. But that said i have a Zakk Wylde EMG equiped double humbukcer solid body that i can get much more aggressive and lively harmonics out of than say my strat or rg so yea it does make a difference but not as much as your hoping.
I highly highly doubt it's your gear. I can get harmonics to sound clearly on my shitty Ibanez RG120 running through a 15 watt Line6 amp.