Sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I'm looking for software that can produce a very realistic strings section. I'm starting a new project that needs authentic dramatic strings in the background. Preferably software that works with Pro Tools.

Much appreciated.
i use east west symphonys, check out my piece "when the orchestra dances" in my profile, they dynamics are really good and the samples are pretty incredible imo.

also try riffs and recordings if east west is too costly for you or you want some better suggestions
East West Symphony is awesome, but too expensive. It's also 15GB, which is too big to even download the cracked version.
^ hehehehehehe no its not imo, whats gonna be quicker, letting your pc download for 2 weeks or earning up a spare $1500 to buy it?
Quote by z4twenny
^ hehehehehehe no its not imo, whats gonna be quicker, letting your pc download for 2 weeks or earning up a spare $1500 to buy it?

I own East West as well. Quite nice actually, but very expensive for a hobbiest.

Garritan Personal Orchestra is alot less expensive, and also sounds nice. (not nearly as nice as East West though).
shred is gaudy music
My internet provider is very strict on bandwidth, so 15GB torrent is unrealistic.

I'm willing to settle on something that will just "get the job done" if it's a bit more reasonable.
Quote by BrickIsRed
My internet provider is very strict on bandwidth, so 15GB torrent is unrealistic.

I'm willing to settle on something that will just "get the job done" if it's a bit more reasonable.

why don't you just buy something like GPO, rather then steal it off the net? People work hard to make those products, its nice when people support that.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
why don't you just buy something like GPO, rather then steal it off the net? People work hard to make those products, its nice when people support that.

I'd like to see if I can actually use the software before I spend a lot on it. I wouldn't want to buy something that turns out to be near impossible to use without a degree in composition.
Quote by BrickIsRed
I'd like to see if I can actually use the software before I spend a lot on it. I wouldn't want to buy something that turns out to be near impossible to use without a degree in composition.

If you want something even remotely realistic, its going to cost money. All programs are learnable. If you have the ability to write a string section, surely you have the ability to figure out a software program.

Believe me, I do understand that its part of the internet culture to just take/steal whatever we want. Just keep that in mind if and when you get to the point of trying to making a living by selling your music.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky

Believe me, I do understand that its part of the internet culture to just take/steal whatever we want. Just keep that in mind if and when you get to the point of trying to making a living by selling your music.

funny you should say this as when i finish my cd i'm going to be offering it up for sale and torrenting it. i want people to listen even if i don't make any $$ off of it.
Quote by z4twenny
funny you should say this as when i finish my cd i'm going to be offering it up for sale and torrenting it. i want people to listen even if i don't make any $$ off of it.

offering it for free is a bit different. If its just a hobby for you and your goal is simply to be heard, I can see giving it away. I can also see doing that as a marketing strategy for unknown artists to get some exposure. Ultimately though, if you plan on making a living from music alone, you will want to get paid for your work.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
offering it for free is a bit different. If its just a hobby for you and your goal is simply to be heard, I can see giving it away. I can also see doing that as a marketing strategy for unknown artists to get some exposure. Ultimately though, if you plan on making a living from music alone, you will want to get paid for your work.

i dunno, trent reznor is pretty famous and he's not above doing it, same for radiohead.
Quote by GuitarMunky

+1, if you like a band that much then I can't see why you wouldn't pay the £10 or whatever for an album. I see people who "love" a band but still steal their music.

Quote by z4twenny
i dunno, trent reznor is pretty famous and he's not above doing it, same for radiohead.

Radiohead was different, they already have plenty of cash from their first six albums, so it was a case of making enough money to make a living. Also, the type of fan base and some cool artwork guaranteed them a lot of sales (maybe not as many as downloaded it, but a lot) when they released the CD version.
Quote by 12345abcd3

Radiohead was different, they already have plenty of cash from their first six albums, so it was a case of making enough money to make a living. Also, the type of fan base and some cool artwork guaranteed them a lot of sales (maybe not as many as downloaded it, but a lot) when they released the CD version.

i dunno if they were THAT different in that yes they did have a wide fan base but at the same time its still a very good approach of "if you think its worth paying for then please do so, if not but you still want to listen then download it anyways" which is pretty much the standpoint i have. if i write an album and someone only thinks one or 2 songs are worth listening to and its not worth buying then just download what you like, as long as you're enjoying some of what i write then thats what matters to me (obviously everyone wants their fans to enjoy everything they write, but thats just not realistic)

for me it would be a good way to develop a fan base as i can say "here you've never heard me so download it and listen to it and if you think it's worth buying then please do"
Quote by z4twenny

thats their choice to make. taking something thats been given away for free is not the same is stealing a product thats meant for sale.

BTW, trent reznor made plenty of money from the sale of his products. If he didn't he wouldn't be in the position he's in now. (same with radiohead)
shred is gaudy music
Quote by z4twenny
i dunno if they were THAT different in that yes they did have a wide fan base but at the same time its still a very good approach of "if you think its worth paying for then please do so, if not but you still want to listen then download it anyways" which is pretty much the standpoint i have. if i write an album and someone only thinks one or 2 songs are worth listening to and its not worth buying then just download what you like, as long as you're enjoying some of what i write then thats what matters to me (obviously everyone wants their fans to enjoy everything they write, but thats just not realistic)

for me it would be a good way to develop a fan base as i can say "here you've never heard me so download it and listen to it and if you think it's worth buying then please do"

do you have a job? do you expect to get paid for that job ?

I can tell you that I do, and I have enough respect for other musicians to pay them for the work unless they are specifically giving it away.
shred is gaudy music
^ yes i have a job, i expect to get paid for my job (i'm at work right now!)

i have enough respect to pay them for the work they do, but if they put out a crap cd and theres one decent song on the cd, i'm not spending $20 on a cd with one decent song (a perfect example would be "the bird and the worm" i think it was by the used, i didn't like any song on that cd except for that song and i'm not buying a $20 cd for one song)

subsequently as example, metallica recently released death magnetic, i haven't bought it yet although i do have the cd. however i think the 8 concerts i've gone to since i was 16, the fact that i've bought master of puppets 10 times, And justice... 8 times, kill'em all 4 times, ride the lightning 6 times, 4 copies of the black album, 2 of load, reload, 3 copies of S&m, 2 copies of garage inc. and even 2 copies of st anger they won't go broke waiting on me to legally purchase my copy of death magnetic.
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 10, 2008,
Do we need to plot this argument on a graph?

My willingness to buy a product is directly related to the price and quality of said product. If an album sucks and is expensive, I won't buy it.

I won't buy it, and I also won't steal it...because that is not how rational people operate in society based on mutual trade and consumer sovereignty.
don't they get loads more money from concerts anyway?
record companies steal artists lots of money, so i don't see how they would really get hurt by it.
and if they are so worried about money, that they need several tens of thousands per month, they've been seriously hit by the root of all evil
Quote by z4twenny
^ yes i have a job, i expect to get paid for my job (i'm at work right now!)

i have enough respect to pay them for the work they do, but if they put out a crap cd and theres one decent song on the cd, i'm not spending $20 on a cd with one decent song (a perfect example would be "the bird and the worm" i think it was by the used, i didn't like any song on that cd except for that song and i'm not buying a $20 cd for one song)

subsequently as example, metallica recently released death magnetic, i haven't bought it yet although i do have the cd. however i think the 8 concerts i've gone to since i was 16, the fact that i've bought master of puppets 10 times, And justice... 8 times, kill'em all 4 times, ride the lightning 6 times, 4 copies of the black album, 2 of load, reload, 3 copies of S&m, 2 copies of garage inc. and even 2 copies of st anger they won't go broke waiting on me to legally purchase my copy of death magnetic.

If its a crap CD, don't buy it, don't listen to it, don't steal it. If it has 1 decent song, buy that 1 decent song from Itunes or something.

while I agree that the guys from Metallica are very wealthy, it doesn't change the principle of the argument.

You expect to get paid for you work, its hypocritical for you to deprive other people from getting paid for theirs by stealing their product.

Quote by RCalisto
record companies steal artists lots of money, so i don't see how they would really get hurt by it.
and if they are so worried about money, that they need several tens of thousands per month, they've been seriously hit by the root of all evil

tell yourself whatever you need to in order to justify doing something that you know is un ethical.

Its likely that you won't ever be in a position where it matters to you. Should you actually get in a position to make money from your music, we'll see if you have the same attitude then.

In the meantime try telling your boss to keep the check at the end of the week, and see how you feel about that. (assuming you have a job and know what its like to pay bills) However, if you live at home with mommy and daddy, and all your needs are paid for by them, your ignorance is understandable.
shred is gaudy music
I use Reason, give that a go. its a 2gb download but worth it. rewired with fruityloops (50mb) and its great, it was made to make the drums on these tracks. I know they are not orcastra, it's just an example of the sample quality
www.purevolume.com/gaijin
Quote by GaijinFoot
I use Reason, give that a go. its a 2gb download but worth it. rewired with fruityloops (50mb) and its great, it was made to make the drums on these tracks. I know they are not orcastra, it's just an example of the sample quality
www.purevolume.com/gaijin

If you buy it, it actually comes with some orchestral sounds.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
If you buy it, it actually comes with some orchestral sounds.

Sorry I wasnt very clear, it does have orcastra on it but I didn't have a recording of that so I was showing your at teh very least the sample quality

so yes, it's as good for orcastra as it is for those drums.
Quote by GaijinFoot
Sorry I wasnt very clear, it does have orcastra on it but I didn't have a recording of that so I was showing your at teh very least the sample quality

so yes, it's as good for orcastra as it is for those drums.

Thanks for that, but I'll have to pass on Reason. It's workflow is way too backwards for me, and I can't explain too well, but any sound that comes out of Reason sounds too unnatural to my ears.

Has anyone tried Finale or Sibelius? Does it sound any good?
Quote by BrickIsRed
Thanks for that, but I'll have to pass on Reason. It's workflow is way too backwards for me, and I can't explain too well, but any sound that comes out of Reason sounds too unnatural to my ears.

Has anyone tried Finale or Sibelius? Does it sound any good?

not sure about sibelius, but Finale is more for notation. The sounds are ok, but I wouldn't use them on a serious recording.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
not sure about sibelius, but Finale is more for notation. The sounds are ok, but I wouldn't use them on a serious recording.

That's what I wanted to know. I didn't know if it was just for writing sheet music or if you could get a decent sound out of them.

This is looking grim... What about this?
Quote by BrickIsRed
That's what I wanted to know. I didn't know if it was just for writing sheet music or if you could get a decent sound out of them.

This is looking grim... What about this?

might be ok, I havent been all that impressed with MOTU's instruments, but its probably at least mediocre to decent. For that kind of money, I would suggest Garritan Personal Orchestra. Thats a nice product for the price.
shred is gaudy music
edirol orchestral is a good product, i don't like it as much as east west but it might serve you well. check it out, i don't think its a very big program either. my only complaint is that the sounds although quite good are still a little too "electronic" sounding to me.
Quote by z4twenny
edirol orchestral is a good product, i don't like it as much as east west but it might serve you well. check it out, i don't think its a very big program either. my only complaint is that the sounds although quite good are still a little too "electronic" sounding to me.

Thanks, I'm grabbing it now. Too bad this doesn't support RTAS (Pro Tools format), but I'm desperate so I'll use it with FL.

Also, I just checked out sound clips of MOTU Symphonic and it sounds fantastic. I'll probably buy then in a month or so.
Quote by RCalisto

The fact that they don't get much money from each CD is all the more reason for everyone who wants the CD to buy it. You can't do anything about the record companies getting a lot of the money, but you can help a band get some more money which will help them to make a living out of their music.

And i'm sure there are plenty of bands that don't make anything like tens of thousands of pounds a month and are just trying to get by, which it won't help if everyone just steals their music.

Also, stealing music can be detrimental to you. Think about it, a new band puts out an album on a small label. You, and a lot of other people like it but they don't buy it they just steal. You listen to it and realise you really, really like it but by this time the record label has dropped them due to lack of sales and, because they can't get another deal, they stop making music. This way you miss out on all the other great albums this band could have put out because you stole their music in the first place.

Also, to all the people who say they only like one or two songs on the album, just get them off iTunes for like 85p each, it's not hard!
^ true, i agree with buying the cd's of the artists you think are decent and would support. i don't agree with buying 1 song though, i look at it kinda like back in the day when you would turn on your stereo and when that 1 and only song you liked from a band came on you hit record and recorded it onto a tape. is it incredibly ethical? no probably not, is it really moral? no, probably not, but i've never claimed to be either of those things.

on that note my sister is picking me up a copy of "Death Magnetic" its on sale at hot topic today for $5 (i might as well be stealing it for that price!) so see, i do support the bands i enjoy even if i think they might owe me a freebie.
Quote by z4twenny
^ true, i agree with buying the cd's of the artists you think are decent and would support. i don't agree with buying 1 song though, i look at it kinda like back in the day when you would turn on your stereo and when that 1 and only song you liked from a band came on you hit record and recorded it onto a tape. is it incredibly ethical? no probably not, is it really moral? no, probably not, but i've never claimed to be either of those things.

on that note my sister is picking me up a copy of "Death Magnetic" its on sale at hot topic today for $5 (i might as well be stealing it for that price!) so see, i do support the bands i enjoy even if i think they might owe me a freebie.

what makes you think they owe you anything ?

Quote by 12345abcd3
The fact that they don't get much money from each CD is all the more reason for everyone who wants the CD to buy it. You can't do anything about the record companies getting a lot of the money, but you can help a band get some more money which will help them to make a living out of their music.

And i'm sure there are plenty of bands that don't make anything like tens of thousands of pounds a month and are just trying to get by, which it won't help if everyone just steals their music.

Also, stealing music can be detrimental to you. Think about it, a new band puts out an album on a small label. You, and a lot of other people like it but they don't buy it they just steal. You listen to it and realise you really, really like it but by this time the record label has dropped them due to lack of sales and, because they can't get another deal, they stop making music. This way you miss out on all the other great albums this band could have put out because you stole their music in the first place.

Also, to all the people who say they only like one or two songs on the album, just get them off iTunes for like 85p each, it's not hard!

+1 good points

an addition to that how smart is it for people to steal from the industry they hope to become part of ? (not very IMO)
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 12, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
what makes you think they owe you anything ?

seriously, after reading about the fact that i've purchased every album many times you ask that question? i'm not saying they owe me a free personal concert or anything but i think all the cd's that i've bought multiple times monetarily make up for the one that i "didn't buy" (or in this case bought after i downloaded it)
Quote by z4twenny
seriously, after reading about the fact that i've purchased every album many times you ask that question? i'm not saying they owe me a free personal concert or anything but i think all the cd's that i've bought multiple times monetarily make up for the one that i "didn't buy" (or in this case bought after i downloaded it)

Ok, so if you buy someone's CD, they now "owe you something"?

Your boss paid you for your job, so I guess you owe him/her now. Maybe you could do a few weeks worth of week for free to make up for all the times you got paid to do it. Just following your own logic.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Ok, so if you buy someone's CD, they now "owe you something"?

Your boss paid you for your job, so I guess you owe him/her now. Maybe you could do a few weeks worth of week for free to make up for all the times you got paid to do it. Just following your own logic.

not quite, if my boss paid me 5 times for the work i did once, then yes i would owe him some "free work" if i decided not to give back that extra money he gave me
Quote by z4twenny
not quite, if my boss paid me 5 times for the work i did once, then yes i would owe him some "free work" if i decided not to give back that extra money he gave me

if you thought it was 5 times too much, you shouldn't have bought it in the 1st place. Likewise your boss would be paying you the going rate. If he thought it was too much, he wouldn't be hiring.

anyway I don't really care all that much. its just interesting to see how people justify things like theft, especially when they are involved in the field themselves. The saying "biting the hand that feeds" is applicable here, assuming you plan on being a professional musician.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
if you thought it was 5 times too much, you shouldn't have bought it in the 1st place. Likewise your boss would be paying you the going rate. If he thought it was too much, he wouldn't be hiring.

anyway I don't really care all that much. its just interesting to see how people justify things like theft, especially when they are involved in the field themselves. The saying "biting the hand that feeds" is applicable here, assuming you plan on being a professional musician.

i think you're missing the point entirely. i buy master of puppets for $15, it then becomes scratched to the point of being unlistenable/stolen etc. i then buy another copy. i have now paid twice for 1 piece of "work" this happens repeatedly. i have now paid multiple times for 1 piece of work, imo one of those times should be adequate "credit" for another cd (such as death magnetic)

if i was going to actually be a professional musician in the broader sense of the word then it would have had to of happened long ago, i'm past the "21 y/o rockstar" prime that record co's look for and i really have no desire to be a session guitarist (not that i'm quite good enough to be one but in theory)
Quote by z4twenny
i think you're missing the point entirely. i buy master of puppets for $15, it then becomes scratched to the point of being unlistenable/stolen etc. i then buy another copy. i have now paid twice for 1 piece of "work" this happens repeatedly. i have now paid multiple times for 1 piece of work, imo one of those times should be adequate "credit" for another cd (such as death magnetic)

if i was going to actually be a professional musician in the broader sense of the word then it would have had to of happened long ago, i'm past the "21 y/o rockstar" prime that record co's look for and i really have no desire to be a session guitarist (not that i'm quite good enough to be one but in theory)

If your boss paid you to do the same thing twice, would you then owe him something? You've still had to work twice as much, and you doing it again might benifit your boss.

Is it the musician's fault that you lost/broke their CD x times so you had to buy it again? You're not paying for two CD's and getting 2 CD's, you're paying for 2 CD's and cheating the band out of a third one because you were always going to buy three (because you lost/broke one) but you only paid for two, so they lose out. To be honest, I think that's just a stupid justification for something that you know is wrong.

And what reasons did you have for having to buy each CD so many times? Are you that irresponsible that you managed to lose that many? Or do you live in a slum where you CD's keep getting stolen yet your computer remains? It's your fault that you had to buy so many new ones because you didn't look after them properly, so why are you punishing someone else? All you have to do it copy the CD or put the songs on to a computer and the disk won't actually matter.

And the last argument is just ridiculously immature: "It'll never happen to me so I don't care about it".

Do you also believe there should be no national health service on the grounds that you can pay for a better private one and could do without the tax? I hope not. If that last argument is really how you see the world (which I doubt, but if it is) then you should start thinking of other people, not just yourself.
Last edited by 12345abcd3 at Sep 14, 2008,