O.K. So the term 'switching' is to be taken very loosely. Basically I've tried learning guitar and have failed, probably because I can't give it the time I need because of school and rugby. So I was at first thinking of postponing my learning until I'm finished school but then I heard a bass. I really liked it and also think it would be easier to play.

Note to all bassists here I am in no way saying that bass is easy, I'm sure it's not but it'll be easier for me to learn based on my logic of less strings = less learning time. Probably not the case but I was thinking of trying it, anyway my friend said he'll buy my guitar that he sold me back from me for 1/10 of the price (not inclined to go along with it) and he can get me a good bass for €30.

So what do you think, should I continue on with guitar which to be honest I don't particularly enjoy because I view it as a chore and move on to a bass which I think I might enjoy because I like the way it sounds.
MUNSTER

Heineken Cup Champions 2005/2006 2007/2008

Gotta do what makes you happy. I played guitar for around 3 years and recently switched over to bass. I am very happy with my decision.
a bass is not easier to play because of only having 4 strings nor is it for failed guitarists.
Quote by DieGarbageMan
When having sex i realise my penis is of small nature.

Quote by Demon Wolf
I got a similar thing from playing too much Pokemon.

Magikarpal tunnel.
I don't mean to be so negative, but if you can't do one, I doubt you could do the other. Bass is not by any means easier, and you still have to put in just as much work.
Quote by slipmaggot93
a bass is not easier to play because of only having 4 strings nor is it for failed guitarists.

I think you'll find it is

i side line bass, just as something different, but only when my bassist is around, i just do guitar riffs on it just to amuse myself during jam breaks.
Quote by slipmaggot93

I know that but I think I might be better at it because I'll be finished school and have more time on my hands and also think I might like it more, generally if you like something you're more inclined to practice and with practice comes improvement.

Also to Macabre_Turtle I know it'll take a lot of work, my friend said I could learn how to play if I actually put some effort in but the problem is for me Rugby comes before guitar/bass which means it'll always come second.
MUNSTER

Last edited by Richie_H at Sep 10, 2008,
by the bass for 30 bucks and keep the guitar fow a while.THEN decide.but its not less learning time for less strings.its other things youve got to develop with the bass , abit different from the guitar.so in case you dont like it, keep the guitar
The way I look at it is... no instrument can be easier than another instrument, because if it is an "easy" instrument, then the people who play it will be better, and then there are higher standards on what it takes before you're considered good. For instance, guitar is in fact, easier to play than the bass (opinionated, I know) because it's less physically demanding. You have to take in the same knowledge for either instrument, and have the same coordination, but guitar IS less physically demanding. Because it is an easier instrument, there are much more complex guitar players than bassists. Because of this, there are higher standards for guitar players, so even though it's easier to play, you have to be better to actually be "good."

Did this make sense?
I suck at guitar flat out. I just do. my issue is my brain is more math oriented, timing's my thing. plus I love thumping beats. It's just like dun dun dun rather than owweeoowwwwwallllllllllalala

etc. I don't know how to describe it, but I like to count, and I like playing with my fingers. I don't have very good control with a pick. I have to use my fingers.

I didn't choose bass because I failed at guitar though, I chose it because it made sense. like I understand my bass. I don't get guitar though. my mind can't cope with it

**** yeah learning disabilities
I love how all the bass players scramble to defend their instrument. haha

I'm a guitar player, but I play bass when I record.
As far as I can tell, here's the difference (for the most part).
You don't have to play chords or worry about fingering multiple strings at once.
The strings are harder on your finger tips.
You'll need to learn to use fingers instead of pick. (But a pick isn't exactly easy to use when your a beginner anyway, you have more coordination in a finger motion from baseline).

I find it easier to play guitar riffs on bass, as long as they're not involving triplets and such, but that's because I haven't built up fingers. I mean, I couldn't do triplets with a pick when I first started guitar. But if I use a pick to play bass, it's no real problem.
If you think bass is easy, you're playing a 4-thick-stringed guitar, not a bass. Think of them as separate instruments and learn to construct cool sounding bass lines and not try to be flashy or the centre of attention, it's not a prerequisite for a good bassist to be either.
If you haven't got the time or motivation to learn guitar then you won't find bass any different. It still takes time and effort.
Quote by -Collapse-

You don't have to play chords or worry about fingering multiple strings at once.

You don't always have to if you play guitar either. I play chords on the bass all the time, and finger multiple strings.

On the whole, bass isn't easier (I play bass and guitar, btw), but it's also all relative. If all you're going to learn on bass is how to play root notes in straight 8ths, then of course it's going to seem easier than learning guitar if you're learning how to sweep pick on that.
Quote by Richie_H
Note to all bassists here I am in no way saying that bass is easy, I'm sure it's not but it'll be easier for me to learn based on my logic of less strings = less learning time.

Please don't take it badly, but you couldn't be more wrong.

First off, bass uses the same scales, keys, and notes as guitar, but with less ways to get to them. So you aren't eliminating any learning there. In fact if anything you're adding to what you'll need to learn because unless you want to be a, frankly sh*tty, bassist who only bangs the same 3 root notes, you'll need to learn how to transpose notes from guitar and apply em to a key/scale.

Also, the strings take more hand strength to fret properly, so you'll have a slightly higher learning curve as your muscles develop.

If you prefer the sound of bass to guitar, then by all means go for it. But if you're looking at it as a "dummed down" guitar that you can learn with less effort, you're setting yourself up to fail. Learning bass is just as consuming as guitar, only different.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
You quitter...

To all you bass players: chill. we arent insulting your instrument. But truth be told i found that it was very easy to play bass after learning guitar. I am no bootsy collins however
In Thirteen Seconds
It's been thirteen seconds
since you all last said
i've become the apparition
You predicted for my death

Myspace
Thanks for the replies and yes I get the picture, I couldn't have been more wrong. Bass is just as, if not harder than guitar. I'm still going to try it but wait until summer when I'm officially finished school and have more time on my hands.
MUNSTER