Page 1 of 3
would the headlights still work properly?

I did seach, nothing came up.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
as long as the flux capacitor is working
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
The car can't travel at the speed of light.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Quote by cheeseman3001

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
The real question here is could you still jam Slow Ride while you were doing it?
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by darkstar2466
The car can't travel at the speed of light.

Its a what if question.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Yeah, they'd work, but the light wouldn't be "shooting" out of the bulbs because you are moving at the exact same speed that it is, therefore you are always with it.
Would they work? As in function? Yes they would function. They would not illuminate things in front of you, though. This is only in the hypothetical situation where the car isn't completely destroyed by traveling at lightspeed.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
i have a question like this

if a lift is dropping to the ground at high speed, if you jump just before it hits the ground, will you leave unscathed or die?
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by nebiru
The real question here is could you still jam Slow Ride while you were doing it?

Without a doubt
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
no, because it wouldn't have the time to reach the ground .. since the car already moved beyond the point where the lights meet the ground, before its even there. but nobody knows what it would look like

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by stef123

if a lift is dropping to the ground at high speed, if you jump just before it hits the ground, will you leave unscathed or die?

Mythbusters said no. So no.
Depends if the headlights are functional in the first place. If they are, then yes. If they aren't, then no.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
If a car was travelling at the speed of light you wouldnt see it. And the headlights, which produce lux, would be intergrated within the general lightbeam anyway, so you wouldnt see it.
^^ Thats a good point. You might leave it behind?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
argh frames of reference!!!!! *shivers*
Lorentz transforms argh...*shivers*

edit: there is also now a PHYSICS thread....which is where this should be
Quote by MightyAl
What if it was going in reverse?

... You'd see the lights before they were turned on???

Quote by stef123

You'll die.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by dcdossett65
Without a doubt

But you would have broken the sound barrier long ago, therefore... would sound reach your ears from the radio?
Quote by cheeseman3001

agreed

though i think he meant "if a car COULD travel at the speed of light..."

which in either case i would think not.
My reflection
Dirty mirror
There's no connection
To myself
I'm your lover
I'm your zero
Im the face in your dreams of glass
Quote by stef123

if by lift you mean an elevator, MANswers proved that if you were to jump you would actually hit the ceiling and would die
i lolled at the question, but i would say yes.

if you are in a car going 60mph and you throw a ball in the air 90 degrees from level, you'll be able to catch the ball (in a vacuum). if you throw a ball in front of the car, you'll end up running over it rather than it hitting the windshield.

i believe that since light is projected from the front end of the car, you're able to see the light, though it'll do you little good traveling at the speed of light with light cast 100 feet in front of you.
Quote by stef123

you wouldn't have the time to actually leave the elevator during your jump. You'll be splattered against the doorpost or ceiling

--------------------
-------------------
------------------
-----------------
----------------
---------------

Quote by MightyAl
What if it was going in reverse?

then the light wouldnt be visible to the human eye because if your traveling at the speed of light, and your headlights are shining the opposite direction, then the light is traveling away at twice the speed of light.

but don't listen to me. i'm probably drunk.
Quote by nebiru
But you would have broken the sound barrier long ago, therefore... would sound reach your ears from the radio?

Well the sound is in your car?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
well first of all...the car would melt at that speed and if it wouldn't, yes, headlights would work but you couldn't see them.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
you are all wrong.

yes, headlights would work exactly the same. the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. light doesnt work the way you think it does, take some advanced physics classes if you want to get a grasp of it.

however, it is literally impossible for anything but light to go the speed of light.
Quote by dcdossett65
Well the sound is in your car?

When you jam Slow Ride you have to have your windows down.

Come on man...
Quote by stef123

You would most likely die. Jumping doesn't help at all and the elevator lift usually turns into mangled rubble after such crashes.
I always thought 'yes', as the light is projected at the same speed in itself no matter how fast you're going, a bit like the 'Shooting a bullet off the front of a train' thing.

Or I could be horribly wrong..

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by noxiosimitator
you wouldn't have the time to actually leave the elevator during your jump. You'll be splattered against the doorpost or ceiling

uhh no.

The elevator has it's own center of gravity, you wouldn't get smashed by the ceiling.

Hypothetically, lets say that said elevator is falling down the elevator shaft at 30 mph, right before you hit the bottom of the shaft, you jump up in the air at 5 mph, you're still traveling downwards at a rate of 25 mph. So yes you would die, but jumping up would slow you down a little bit, though not enough to save you.
^That's what I thought.

Anybody else have mine teasers like this?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
You would have to have 0 resting mass. That translates into badnews for both you and your car.

You wouldn't be able to see the lights from your headlights because that light is travelling at exactly the same speed as you. It wouldn't be able to go ahead of the car but just travel at the same exact speed as the source. It would just stay stationary to your perspective.

You also would not be able to listen to Slow Ride because the sound waves would be left way behind the instant they came out of the speakers.

Chances are you wouldn't really see anything because light wouldn't be able to travel fast enough to reach your eyes given the speed that you are travelling.

Quote by Schism1985
uhh no.

The elevator has it's own center of gravity, you wouldn't get smashed by the ceiling.

Hypothetically, lets say that said elevator is falling down the elevator shaft at 30 mph, right before you hit the bottom of the shaft, you jump up in the air at 5 mph, you're still traveling downwards at a rate of 25 mph. So yes you would die, but jumping up would slow you down a little bit, though not enough to save you.

I think she was trying to say that you would have to jump OUT of the elevator as well as up, or else as you slowed down, the ceiling of the elevator would slam into your head, turning you into person pancake.
Quote by Marrklarr

yes, headlights would work exactly the same. the speed of light is constant in all frames of reference. light doesnt work the way you think it does, take some advanced physics classes if you want to get a grasp of it.

i more or less stated this. but if your high beams only shine for 100 feet, the light will do no good at the speed of light. you'll be like a rhino, which only see about five meters in front of them, though they don't need to see far because a rhino at full tilt will obliterate anything.
Page 1 of 3