Is this a good amp for metal? (Arch Enemy, not AC/DC) i might go buy it this saturday.
Give it a try and see if you like it. I've never played one, but it seems to me just an attempt by peavey to compete with the valvetronix, cube, and spider. I think a solid state amp that big is a huge waste of money though.

What's your budget? Are you willing to go used? Where do you live? Do you only play metal? Are cleans important?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My budget is 500$, i can stretch A LITTLE if it's worth it, I live in Houston, TX

i can see myself playing metal 90% of the time, and stuff like Nirvana / Guns n Roses the other 10% of the time

cleans are not THAT important, but having decent cleans is always nice

i personally am willing to go used, but my parent's won't let me cause they dont trust it too much
I would say getting the 100 that amp is a waste, if you want a vypr get the 60 tube or the 75.

I would say get a tube amp, but metal + tube amp doesn't come cheap.
Peavey Limited Exp Hss
BC Rich BW-4000BB
Schecter C-1 Classic
I'd try a randall rg50tc, pretty good metal amp, 550$ if I remember right. B-52 AT112 is worth a try.

If you can convince your parents to go used you might be able to find a 5150 combo near you budget which would work great for metal. A XXX combo would work well too if you could find one used.

I forgot to ask, is this for gigging or bedroom practice?
Quote by tomguitarworshi
I would say getting the 100 that amp is a waste, if you want a vypr get the 60 tube or the 75.

I would say get a tube amp, but metal + tube amp doesn't come cheap.

so the Tube 60 would be better than the 100? even though the 100 has 2 speakers, which is why i wanted to go for it, since having 2 speakers help everything sound a lot better
Quote by Kevin Saale
I'd try a randall rg50tc, pretty good metal amp, 550$ if I remember right. B-52 AT112 is worth a try.

If you can convince your parents to go used you might be able to find a 5150 combo near you budget which would work great for metal. A XXX combo would work well too if you could find one used.

I forgot to ask, is this for gigging or bedroom practice?

I have looked at the 5150 combos, for some reason i really don't like them =/ they're good, but i guess they're not for me.

and this amp will be mostly for bedroom, but i will be gigging with it every now and then
2 speakers won't make that big of a difference on an amp like that.

I agree with the 5150, I'm not a fan either, but they are a popular metal amp so it's worth a mention.
if your mostly playing bedroom you should look at the valveking 50 watt combo
its a bit smaller but you will still have enough power for most small-mid gigs
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
if your mostly playing bedroom you should look at the valveking 50 watt combo

Hmmm... if it matters, I will be practicing with a drummer 2 or 3 times a week... and I heard the valveking doesn't have a really good distortion

right now im looking at the vypyr 60
The randall or the b-52 blows the valveking away in my opinion.

BTW a 50 watt tube amp is going be about as loud as a 100 or so watt solid state amp. That's what volume controls are for though.
the vyper 60 should be good enough, it's a hybrid, not shur which part but if the power amp is tube it should sound pretty good
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Vypyr 60 is not shipping yet but would be better imo
Valveking has pretty quick distortion and sounds better with a Bad Monkey and new speaker but not a bad amp for $400. Some will argue that. It will struggle with more modern metal.

I'm not suggesting a half stack or these amps necessarily but might give you an idea as they were posted in the last few days - I didn't keep going but there is tons of stuff in the Houston area.

Randall camo stack (ss or tube?) $450
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/831509551.html

Laney GH50 stack
http://houston.craigslist.org/msg/833123615.html
Quote by justinb904
the vyper 60 should be good enough, it's a hybrid, not shur which part but if the power amp is tube it should sound pretty good

Hybrid here is subjective....I feel that it is a hybrid.

It has 4 - 6L6GC power tubes and 1 - 12AX7 preamp tube. The rest of the preamp section (effects) is Transtube chips/software.

http://www.peavey.com/products/Vypyr/index.cfm
it uses both ss and tube for the modeling preamp and tube for the power amp, which is better than what most hybrid amps will give you, i haven't herd it but but it should sound good
which pickups do you have if you have active pickups do not i repeat DO NOT buy a hybrid. im going for a peavey 6505+ 112 combo because my VT50 cant handle the EMG's
If you have the cash for the 100, the 60 is $50 more (or $50 cheaper, depending on where you buy from) and leaps better. I really like the Vypyr Tubes, they sound great and as someone who has owned 2 Line 6 Vettas (Line 6's top of the line modeler), I much prefer the sound of the Vypyr Tube.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Hybrid here is subjective....I feel that it is a hybrid.

It has 4 - 6L6GC power tubes and 1 - 12AX7 preamp tube. The rest of the preamp section (effects) is Transtube chips/software.

http://www.peavey.com/products/Vypyr/index.cfm

If there's only 1 12AX7, that means it's used as the phase inverter, which is part of the power amp section. So the entire preamp is digital.

Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
which pickups do you have if you have active pickups do not i repeat DO NOT buy a hybrid. im going for a peavey 6505+ 112 combo because my VT50 cant handle the EMG's

That's a load of shit.

I had a Vox AD30VT, a hybrid, and it handled the EMGs I replaced in my SG just fine. In fact, it sounded better than the pickups that were in there before. Just because active pickups are made to drive a tube amp harder, doesn't mean they will make a solid state/hybrid amp sound worse and "not be able to handle it." Try running an OD in front of a SS/Hybrid amp, it won't necessarily do the same thing as it would in front of a tube amp, but it can still significantly improve the tone.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Last edited by MatrixClaw at Aug 15, 2010,
ok guy listen, a hybrid is solid state nor valve. its a combination. Since actives have so much output the distortion isnt being distorted by tubes just solid state, but it isnt being powered by solid state. powered by tubes. If it were FULLy one or the other. Itd sound way better, and iown a vox VT50 and a hellraiser with EMG's. ive done lots of researh on this hence why im buying a new amp.
Not really a fan of the more expensive Vypyrs. You can find better deals for better amps on CL IMO.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Holey necro-bump batman!

this thread is nearly 2 years old