So, I had a MIM strat. I hated everything about it, except that it was purple. The scale length, the tremolo, the tone...awful.
Mug shot of the offending party:

So, I called up my good friends at Warmoth. They sent me a smokin' new neck:
Quartersawn maple
24 3/4" scale (the only proper scale
Boatneck contour (HUGE!)
6100 frets (HUGE!)
Graphtec nut
No fret markers
I added a Wilkinson by Gotoh VS100 trem, Sperzel locking tuners, straplocks, some extra-smooth CGE pots, a .015 Vitamin Q cap, and a pearloid pickguard and called it Good.
Ladies and gentlemen, may I present to you my custom strat,
Willy Wonka.

I'm having a friend do some painting of the headstock and maybe body with some Wonka-esque art.
i was never a fan of white pickguards with black pickups but i like the way it looks with that neck and body, sweet guitar.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
I liked it better with the black pick guard, but oh well. Looks pretty good, though I would have put in a Floyd Rose if I was modding it. How does it sound? I guess that's the important thing. Much improvement?
Looks sweet... Sound clips?
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
nice rebuild. you should rout a cavity for a floyd, then this guitar would be freaking awesome. i really want to redo my washburn, but i cant find necks that have the some bolt holes.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
what humbucker is that in the bridge now ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
It's now a funk machine. The neck made the biggest difference, it's got a lot more bass and "fat" than the original. I'm not a floyd kind of guy, so the Wilky is perfect for me. I'm thinking of changing the middle and neck single coils to something a little more vintage. Noiseless are cool, but the neck position is missing a little of that vintage character.
The bridge pickup is a JB. Neck and middle are lace golds.
Nice.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
wow they make 24 3/4 strat necks. well good job, although i think if you want a strat, 25.5 is the ONLY proper scale because you buy a strat because it's twangy and bright. you dont get that if it's shorter. whyd you buy that guitar i'm curious. like a first guitar or something? and how the heck did you find such a unique color, when i went to gc, they had only black and white and red(which i think makes people look like beginners)
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
wow they make 24 3/4 strat necks. well good job, although i think if you want a strat, 25.5 is the ONLY proper scale because you buy a strat because it's twangy and bright. you dont get that if it's shorter.
Yes you do
whyd you buy that guitar i'm curious. like a first guitar or something?
I've played a Gibson for a long time, and I play by feel- I don't look at the fretboard. A 25.5" scale really messes me up. So I got a new neck with the "right" scale.
and how the heck did you find such a unique color, when i went to gc, they had only black and white and red(which i think makes people look like beginners)
Fender makes a MIM line with a satin finish. You can still get them in blue, red, and dark red ("midnight wine") but the purple was a limited run color a few years ago. I don't see any satin finish ones in guitar shops, you have to either get them used or online.
That's sweet.

I hate strats but I like this one.
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
^That's why I made it! I don't like the feel of strats, but I wanted the tone and trem.
Quote by Roc8995
I'm tempted to call that "epic"

Beautiful guitar
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
So is the neck a conversion neck that corrects the 12th fret location referenced to the bridge?

If it was just a 24 3/4" scale neck on a 25 1/2" scale body, then the intonation should he screwed up bad.

If I were buying a custom made maple neck, I'd have to them use some figured wood. If the price was right on a premade one, though.. I'd go for that.

It's a damn good looking guitar, and there ain't nothing wrong with changing the scale to suit your needs. It's just one more modification that personalizes it to you.

I like the sound of a Les Paul and the feel of a Strat... so I built my first scratch guitar to do just that and it worked out nicely. Purists are annoying. Anything thats considered a "rule" is just not rock and roll.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
Well, it obviously has to correct all of the frets, not just the 12th. They just made the board hang over the pickguard more than usual, it works very well. so really it's just a 24 3/4 neck with the heel pushed back. The intonation is perfect.
And you can't see it in the picture, but it is quartersawn. I didn't want anything figured, but the quartersawn gives it a really nice clean pinstripe look.
Quote by Roc8995
Well, it obviously has to correct all of the frets, not just the 12th. They just made the board hang over the pickguard more than usual, it works very well. so really it's just a 24 3/4 neck with the heel pushed back. The intonation is perfect.
And you can't see it in the picture, but it is quartersawn. I didn't want anything figured, but the quartersawn gives it a really nice clean pinstripe look.

Well thanks for assuming I have zero common sense.

My question was if the neck was a conversion that corrected the location of the frets, I chose the 12th because you use that to measure from the nut to the fret, and then from the fret to the bridge to make sure the neck is set correctly in the body.

Your picture is a vague artsy shot that doesn't show the mechanics of it well, I couldn't see how the overhang or neck pocket looked.

It's nice that you can get a bolt on conversion like that. Very convenient for those afraid to start cutting the neck pocket or moving the bridge. I might build myself a neck like that for the hell of it.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
^He didn't assume you had zero common sense, he answered the question you asked.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Do want! except for the neck contour.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Redefining Sexy. I like the color too, but great upgrades.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
damn nice job.

and gotta love 24.75" scale!
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
damn nice job.

and gotta love 24.75" scale!

Yeah, the only thing it's bad for is downtuning, 25.5> 24.75 in that aspect but that's about it.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, the only thing it's bad for is downtuning, 25.5> 24.75 in that aspect but that's about it.

Definitely- alternate tunings sometimes lose too much tension in the strings. I might put some heavier strings on to get rid of that.