im just curious if anybody has a turbocharger car or have a volkswagen i was looking at

a car with turbocharger and my friend told me they are very expensive to repair
i was looking at a awesome jetta volkswagen but it has a turbocharger

i was looking for reviews and and some people are very happy and some are very pist off

i was wondering if anybody has a volkswagen and if they are happy with it or if they have a car with turbocharger and how they feel about their car?

if you do are they worth having or are they a pain in the ass?

and if you can explain me how the hell turbochargers work lol
any help is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
wow a jetta with a turbo? do i smell ricer wannabe? who puts a turbo on a jetta? well a turbo works by forcing more air into the engine at a high rate of speed creating large amounts of back pressure (boost) which forces the engine to combust more quickly creating more horsepower (i'm not sure if this is exact but its something like this.) and i have a turbo subaru.
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
basically, a turbocharger is an air compressor, it works on the principles of increasing the mass of air entering the engine, which should in turn give you more power

EDID: ^ Beaten
any volkswagen is going to be expensive to repair because it is foreign, my friend has a turbocharged volkswagen, its real nice, we have had it up to 125mph, and its only a 4cyl.
My car has a turbo, fair enough it's a twelve-year old diesel, but I hear just by allowing the car to warm up before you set off, and to run down before turning off the ignition (to allow the oil to settle or something), you can save on wear and tear.

You sure it's a turbo and not a supercharger?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

LOL

Dont get a turbo'd car my friend, you'll never insure it or be able to afford petrol!

/Thread
Quote by metalminded07
wow a jetta with a turbo? do i smell ricer wannabe?

Jettas came with Turbos from about 1980 until today, they had turbos on diesels only until about 2002. The 2002 and up Jettas(the mk.IV and Mk.V cars) have strong engines in the form of the 1.8t and the 2.0t, which other than sharing engine mounts are almost completely different engines.

The 1.8T is a 1789cc engine with 5 valves per cylinder and a smallish turbo, and it puts out about 180hp. The engine is fairly reliable, but make sure that the example you are looking at has been properly maintained and that the coil-pack recall has been taken care of. If you are dilligent with maintaining the car it will last a very long time and give few problems. If you are not dilligent it will put you in a world of hurt. This engine was only available in the Mk.IV

The 2.0TFSI engine is absolutely a gem of engineering. 4 valves per cylinder, direct injection and turbocharging? Oh yes. The engine puts out around 200hp though it has again been indicated by owners that VW has once again underrated their engine. This engine is still new, but my dad has one in his Audi A3(the same engine used in the Golf/Jetta GTi and GLi) and it has given him no trouble for the time he has had the car. Once again, stay on the ball when maintaining these cars.

As for a turbo engine being less reliable, this is kind of a myth perpetrated by people with aftermarket turbos and saabs. An aftermarket turbo settup generally doesn't give the same kind of refinement and quality a factory settup does, and as for Saabs... they are a case all to themselves.

If you get this car, have fun with it, but be sure to take very good care of it, and it will take care of you.
sorry when i think of jettas i think of the really crappy version like 1995-98
Quote by horny_cactus
Who's Rick Roll? Sorry for my ignorance I just joined this forum so I don't yet Know that member.
Quote by Preid
LOL

Dont get a turbo'd car my friend, you'll never insure it or be able to afford petrol!

/Thread

1. he's american so insurance is like 50p per cylinder
2. he's american so petrol is like 50p per gallon

just keep it in the low revs and it won't use much petrol anyway
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by metalminded07
sorry when i think of jettas i think of the really crappy version like 1995-98

Thanks dude, I drive a 1998 Golf. In all honesty they have a better designed suspension than the Mk.IV cars, way more potential as far as handling goes, plus they're lighter so even if both cars have the 2.0L 8v non-turbo(which was available in both), mine will still be quicker, and I get better mileage. Plus, how can you look at these and say its crap?

They are fundamentally good cars, not enough power from the 4-cyl engines, but the VR6 is a fantastic engine, and the whole rest of the car is worlds ahead of the other small cars of the same era available in the US.
first of its not bad having a turbo charged jetta but there are better turbo charged cars out there for similar prices. its not so much cuz its turbo charged that its gonna cost you in the long run, but because its european. parts are gonna be expensive as hell. I would go with an STI or EVO! either way i dont think i would ever buy a used turbo charged car without having a pro check it out for you and make sure it looks like its in good condition. either way problems may occur. when it comes down to it dont get a turbo charged car unless your serious about or racing or something like that.
RAW ROCK KILLS!- ShowBread
Hello, My name is Armando and im your bunny
A turbocharger works by using the engines own exhaust gasses to spin it up. The turbo side(hot side) is piped directly into the exhaust system before it heads down to the catalytic converter and muffler. As the engine runs, the exhaust spins up the turbo, which is directly attached to the compressor side via a solid shaft. The incoming air/fuel mixture is then compressed and forced into the engine at a higher velocity and at a denser mixture than could be acheived via normal aspiration. This results in more bang for the buck so to speak.
Oh, and this is my turbo:

Sorry, no decent pics of the actual car. It's the first year of the Buick Turbo Regals, which became the Grand Nationals in the mid 80's, and the GNX's. Hot hot hot!
Here's my dream car:

This right here is worth about $120,000 US right now.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by BadgeMan
1. he's american so insurance is like 50p per cylinder
2. he's american so petrol is like 50p per gallon

just keep it in the low revs and it won't use much petrol anyway

The idea of a turbo is you get more power at higher revs...

Gear:
Ibanez JPM P100A
Schecter C7 Loomis
Ibanez Rg1570
Agile Intrepid 828 Pro Dual
Schecter Omen FR Extreme
Ibanez RG550 (Fernandez Sustainer)
Laney World Series 120-TR
POD X3 Live
Low revs doesnt create enough exhaust gasses to spin the turbo up to the 'fun zone'. My jeep diesel, 2.5 turbo intercooler has a larger turbo than stock. It takes about 1.5 seconds to fully spin up from when plant the accelerator.

And if youre crusing around town and reving gently it doesnt spin up fully but instead lingers at about halfway. As for letting the turbo warm up/cool down when youre stopping and starting. Its only the really high end performance turbo's that need that.

I turbo's.
Quote by Preid
Low revs doesnt create enough exhaust gasses to spin the turbo up to the 'fun zone'. My jeep diesel, 2.5 turbo intercooler has a larger turbo than stock. It takes about 1.5 seconds to fully spin up from when plant the accelerator.

And if youre crusing around town and reving gently it doesnt spin up fully but instead lingers at about halfway. As for letting the turbo warm up/cool down when youre stopping and starting. Its only the really high end performance turbo's that need that.

I turbo's.

Hey cool! Another *puts hand in front of mouth* diesel driver who's not afraid to admit it!

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by Jaymz_515
Hey cool! Another *puts hand in front of mouth* diesel driver who's not afraid to admit it!

I think its time we hijack this thread for diesel drivers everywhere.

They say diesel's an inferior fuel to petrol. Fact is it lasts longer due to it having more bang than petrol. What they say about millage being the same as petrol in town is BS. I'm £30 a week for diesel for a 2.5 turbo'd beast and with the same driving I was £40 for a 1.4 petrol car. If im on the motorway cruising it hardly uses a thing, i've work out the mpg as 37 - 38 mpg. Why do you think taxi drivers all use diesels? Lorries too? Almost every type of industrial machine (bar aircraft+lawn mowers) uses diesel as a fuel. Tractors, Boats, Generators...

Its safer than petrol, if you crash and fuel's pissing out all over you, your kids and your elderly grandmother. With petrol, one spark and you're toast. With diesel, you could light that victory smoke up or even take a hit off your favorite bong without the worry of it igniting.

As for it being a dirty fuel, just because you can sometimes see whats coming out the exhaust doesnt mean its worse. Put it this way, if you wanted to kill yourself in a car by pumping fumes back into the cab. You'd die alot quicker with petrol fumes than diesel, alot quicker.

Its all about the tax, over here in the UK. If we stopped using petrol the tax man would lose out on 25% tax income.
thanks for replies guys

im looking for a jetta 2003 volkswagen passat and i heard all sorts of trouble with them and since they are foreign they are a expensive.

i have a bmw 1995 318is and is really expensive everytime i need a piece and if i go to junkyard they are rare and when you see one they take everything because is so freaking expensive

my experience with my bmw has been terrible it needs so many repairs im going to buy new car since mine is old has so many problems
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
I've got a 1995 Golf, and it's pretty reliable....just little things luke the interior heating fans decide to conk out every so often
Oh, but I had to replace the head gasket
Drive me home Jeeves
Quote by Esp_kill07
first of its not bad having a turbo charged jetta but there are better turbo charged cars out there for similar prices. its not so much cuz its turbo charged that its gonna cost you in the long run, but because its european. parts are gonna be expensive as hell. I would go with an STI or EVO! either way i dont think i would ever buy a used turbo charged car without having a pro check it out for you and make sure it looks like its in good condition. either way problems may occur. when it comes down to it dont get a turbo charged car unless your serious about or racing or something like that.

Those cars are less reliable than the jetta/passat, and more expensive, even used.