ok i've decided that my next amp is going to be a dumble style amp. for those of you who've seen my past threads, you know that i've been looking at two rocks, ceriatones, and especially fuchs amps. but i want to know - is there $1500 difference between the Fuchs Overdrive Sumpreme ($3,330 i think) and the ceriatone overtone special ($1500ish i think)? let me know what you think....

thanks!
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
I've heard they're nice. I can't remember exactly, but I think I remember slats saying that Fuchs amps were very worth saving up for.
I'm sure there's a difference between the Ceriatone and Fuchs, especially in component and construction quality. I think you'll get more bang for your buck with the Ceriatone though.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Thanks DA. I was actually considering PM'ing you before this thread.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
ok i've decided that my next amp is going to be a dumble style amp. for those of you who've seen my past threads, you know that i've been looking at two rocks, ceriatones, and especially fuchs amps. but i want to know - is there $1500 difference between the Fuchs Overdrive Sumpreme ($3,330 i think) and the ceriatone overtone special ($1500ish i think)? let me know what you think....

thanks!

I tried an ODS 50 several months ago for about half an hour, & really wasn't that impressed with it. I'd heard a couple live before, & their tones were really good, but I never saw the pedalboards the guys were using either. On its own, I felt the ODS wasn't that great, esp for $3300 US. The Divided By 13s I tried were MUCH better, with more clarity & articulation, & lots more punch (but the /13s were smaller, lower gain amps), & a lot more fun to play. I haven't gotten to try a Two Rock yet.
Also, The Mojave Scorpion might be worth looking into. Link to Mojave Amp Works:

http://www.mojaveampworks.com/
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I don't know if it means anything, but in an interview with Kenny Wayne Shepherd, KWS stated that he liked his Fuchs ODS better than his Dumble.
You'd have to try before you buy though. That dumble tone is kind of love/hate if you ask me. I'm not a huge fan of it. It sounds a bit too "fancy" to my ears.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Do you think i'd need to use my TS9 to get good tone out of Ceriatone? Because they have OD built in. And i really love the dumble tone.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Because I don't have anything to contribute to this thread...

moar like fucks amirite?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Kensai, I think I'll get a flamboyant sig.

Quote by Sonicxlover

Quote by Sonicxlover

Parker Nitefly Mojo sonnn
Jackson DK2M Dinky
Carvin Legacy
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Cube 30X
Quote by al112987
The Bludotone is supposedly really good.

what is this bludotone you speak of?

Edit: I found it google. The bludodrive is about the same as the fuchs.

but what i really want to know is if i'd have to use my TS9 to get good tone.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Last edited by LP51122 at Sep 10, 2008,
A TS9 would be nice for kicking it into higher gain lead tones.

Anyways, just to add to your options for dumble clones, I've heard alot of positive feedback on Glaswerks SOD's.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by riffhog
I tried an ODS 50 several months ago for about half an hour, & really wasn't that impressed with it. I'd heard a couple live before, & their tones were really good, but I never saw the pedalboards the guys were using either. On its own, I felt the ODS wasn't that great, esp for $3300 US. The Divided By 13s I tried were MUCH better, with more clarity & articulation, & lots more punch (but the /13s were smaller, lower gain amps), & a lot more fun to play. I haven't gotten to try a Two Rock yet.
Also, The Mojave Scorpion might be worth looking into. Link to Mojave Amp Works:

http://www.mojaveampworks.com/

I agree about the ODS, I'm not a huge fan of it's tone either, and will never understand why people are willing to pay the prices they do for Dumbles.
Something I can actually answer. A good friend of mine has several two rock models which he has always been fairly happy with. He recently acquired the overtone special head, and claims that it is his 'last amp'. I can understand why too. It sounds simply amazing. The cleans are great, but the overdrive is warm, fat, articulate and simply brilliant. I'm really GASing for one myself. It sounds magic as it is, with no pedals, although it does take pedals well too.
Can't speak for the Fuchs, but the Overtone special is probably the nicest amp I've played to date (including many Cornfords, Soldanos, Cornells, Matchless Chieftain etc).

Good luck with your search. I really hope you do go for the Overtone special. It's an amazing amp.

EDIT: After removing the case of the Ceriatone, it is clear that it's made like a tank and very well constructed. I really don't think that build quality is an issue with Ceriatone.
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Last edited by jimbob78 at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by jimbob78
Something I can actually answer. A good friend of mine has several two rock models which he has always been fairly happy with. He recently acquired the overtone special head, and claims that it is his 'last amp'. I can understand why too. It sounds simply amazing. The cleans are great, but the overdrive is warm, fat, articulate and simply brilliant. I'm really GASing for one myself. It sounds magic as it is, with no pedals, although it does take pedals well too.
Can't speak for the Fuchs, but the Overtone special is probably the nicest amp I've played to date (including many Cornfords, Soldanos, Cornells, Matchless Chieftain etc).

Good luck with your search. I really hope you do go for the Overtone special. It's an amazing amp.

EDIT: After removing the case of the Ceriatone, it is clear that it's made like a tank and very well constructed. I really don't think that build quality is an issue with Ceriatone.

Thank you jimbob. You've been of great help to me today.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
Thank you jimbob. You've been of great help to me today.

You're more than welcome. It just irritates me when people jump on the "Fuchs is more expensive so therefore it must be better" bandwagon. The Overtone special is a flipping fantastic amp. It also has a fair bit of gain on tap (maybe more than you would expect).

Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by LP51122
what is this bludotone you speak of?

Edit: I found it google. The bludodrive is about the same as the fuchs.

but what i really want to know is if i'd have to use my TS9 to get good tone.

If you HAVE to use a TS9 with ANY amp to get good tone, the amp's not good enough.
Sorry if this offends anyone, but if you know anything about amps, you know I'm right.
There aren't many $3000 amps that REQUIRE a TS9. You're asking a weird one-off question about an amp that not many people anywhere have ever seen (the Ceriatone Fuchs clone). Get out there & try some amps. Lots of people here have high regard for Ceriatone, but in reality, most of those people have probably never actually even heard one. I'd say go for the real thing if you want a Fuchs tone, or like the someone mentioned above, try a Two Rock.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Riffhog, i don't mean this to sound sarcastic, but why does someone like john mayer use a TS808, bluesdriver, keeley katana, and keeley compressor when he has a $10,000 Two Rock. Why does joe bonamassa use a Fuchs plush drive when he has an ODS? why did SRV use a TS808 when he had a Dumble? My point is that all of those guys have Dumble/Dumble Style amps but they still use pedals, so that's why i asked.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Riffhog, i'm assuming, was just saying that if the amp NEEDED an overdrive to sound good, it's not worth getting. The amps you're looking at though will probably be awesome just by themselves, but use a clean boost or an OD to kick up the gain for leads if you want to.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The ODS is a really daunting amp. It's deceptively complex, and you can't just rush at it and expect it to sound good. It has a FET input, and there's more than enough gain on tap for most things- the thing most people overlook is the Ratio knob, which dictates how much gain is fed in with the clean signal. Mr. Dumble himself describes turning up the Ratio knob as "rock city."
I'm surprised people are so quick to give up these amps. They're very cool if you take the time to get to know them- which is why I'm disappointed when I read something like this:
"I heard one and it sounded really good, but I tried one and it was meh."
Quote by Roc8995
The ODS is a really daunting amp. It's deceptively complex, and you can't just rush at it and expect it to sound good. It has a FET input, and there's more than enough gain on tap for most things- the thing most people overlook is the Ratio knob, which dictates how much gain is fed in with the clean signal. Mr. Dumble himself describes turning up the Ratio knob as "rock city."
I'm surprised people are so quick to give up these amps. They're very cool if you take the time to get to know them- which is why I'm disappointed when I read something like this:
"I heard one and it sounded really good, but I tried one and it was meh."

So do you think there's $1500 difference between the fuchs and the ceriatone? i can understand that the fuchs is probably great but unless it's worth that much more i don't think i'll save for it. not saying that it makes them equal, but the overtone has a ratio knob too
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Quote by LP51122
Riffhog, i don't mean this to sound sarcastic, but why does someone like john mayer use a TS808, bluesdriver, keeley katana, and keeley compressor when he has a $10,000 Two Rock. Why does joe bonamassa use a Fuchs plush drive when he has an ODS? why did SRV use a TS808 when he had a Dumble? My point is that all of those guys have Dumble/Dumble Style amps but they still use pedals, so that's why i asked.

Sorry if I came off sounding like an ass ...but
I think you just answered your own questions here....
Again, if the tone of the amp is so great, why are they using pedals? Obviously, they either wanted a volume boost for solos, or were trying to make the amp's tone better, because they weren't satisfied with how it was WITHOUT the pedals. This isn't rocket science. Maybe they like the Dumble/Fuchs/Two Rock tone, but it's missing something in their minds. It's hard to know when those guys are using which pedals unless you're very close to the stage.

darkarbiter7 understood exactly what I was trying to say. Dumble, & most boutique amp designers, create their amps as stand alone pillars of tone. They sell what they feel is the ultimate representation of what they personally feel is the greatest guitar tone achievable. If they thought their amps needed a boost switch that emulates a TubeScreamer, they would've incorporated that into their design. It costs them relatively nothing to add that to their amps.

The trouble is that no here evidently has played a Ceriatone Dumble clone, so we really can't give you an exact answer, which I understand is not helpful to you. I wish we could give you a concrete answer as to what will or won't work for you. If you don't want to risk that much money on an amp you can't try out, that's understandable. You may even be able to ask Nik at Ceriatone for a money back guarantee if you don't like it, & you just pay the shipping?? If not, try a LOT of amps yourself, like Two Rock, Divided By 13, 65, Fuchs, etc. One of them will jump out at you & you'll fall in love with it. Good luck, man!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

I was referring to Overdrive Special amps in general, not the Fuchs amp.
Of course there's not a $1500 difference in tone between the two. There never is. There isn't $2000 worth of difference between an MG stack and a plexi, but you have to decide whether or not the difference in price is worth it to you. Especially when you get to the nicer amps like these, it's always a question of, how much are you willing to pay for a slightly better tone, and can you justify spending X amount of cash on whatever it is you want?
It doesn't make any sense to approach it in a "dollars per ounce of tone" sense. The question ought to be, "can I get the sound I want for this much?" In your case, you definitely can. I don't suggest blowing all your cash on an amp- spend 3/4 of what you were intending to spend, and use the rest to tweak your tone with maybe a different speaker, or new pickups, or better cables, or a compressor, or whatever.
So, I'd get the Ceriatone and spend the extra cash on tweaking it just the way you want it, in the spirit of real Dumbles- tuned for the customer.
Quote by Roc8995
I was referring to Overdrive Special amps in general, not the Fuchs amp.
Of course there's not a $1500 difference in tone between the two. There never is. There isn't $2000 worth of difference between an MG stack and a plexi, but you have to decide whether or not the difference in price is worth it to you. Especially when you get to the nicer amps like these, it's always a question of, how much are you willing to pay for a slightly better tone, and can you justify spending X amount of cash on whatever it is you want?
It doesn't make any sense to approach it in a "dollars per ounce of tone" sense. The question ought to be, "can I get the sound I want for this much?" In your case, you definitely can. I don't suggest blowing all your cash on an amp- spend 3/4 of what you were intending to spend, and use the rest to tweak your tone with maybe a different speaker, or new pickups, or better cables, or a compressor, or whatever.
So, I'd get the Ceriatone and spend the extra cash on tweaking it just the way you want it, in the spirit of real Dumbles- tuned for the customer.

For a young guy, you give some pretty wise advice, Colin! Your knowledge always amazes me!
The only thing I'd disagree on is that I personally think the $2000 worth of tonal difference between an MG & a plexi is a bargain!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Thanks for everything guys. I let you know whenever i get something and i'll try to keep you posted when i try stuff out.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

^^That's because you enjoy good tone- that's my point! It's worth it not because it's cost effective but because that's what you want, and you have the means to achieve it.

Another thing to consider with Ceriatone Kits is that they're PTP so you can tweak them easily. Fuchs are PCB so you're pretty much locked in with what you've got.
Quote by Roc8995

Another thing to consider with Ceriatone Kits is that they're PTP so you can tweak them easily. Fuchs are PCB so you're pretty much locked in with what you've got.

ANOTHER great point. Dang, you're good. I didn't even think of that.
I just saw the Ceriatone prices. Not bad. For $1000 US for an assembled PTP-wired amp, sounds like a deal!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

$950 is the price without a head cab, so the final price is $1150 with the head cab, plus shipping from malaysia, which as I understand is $210 for the Overtone. Still, $1360 for a "Dumble" head is a great price.
To everyone who gave me advice in this thread.....i think i'll save for the overtone.

On another note I'd like you guys to tell me how you think me tone is in my SRV cover in my profile (thing i used to do). i solo at about 1:49. i think it sounds really Dumble-y, but i want your opinion too.

thanks in advance, and give me advice on how to improve it if you don't like it.
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

Last edited by LP51122 at Sep 18, 2008,
Fuchs ODS is the best Dumble Clone ever. A close second is the Two Rock one but it costs more. Plus Fuchs has the best customer support ever and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about his amps. They're definitely worth it but the Ceriatone isn't bad.
Actually Stevie didn't use the TS808 on his Dumbles, LP51122. He used them on his Fenders as his Dumbles where specially made Steel String Singers to be I think 200w but they may be 150w. He wanted the Dumbles for a ridiculous clean sound that he could get a very slight gain on if he really wanted to.
bump can someone tell me about my tone on things i used to do in my profile?
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2

I'm also looking at the Fuchs and Two Rock amps to look for that Dumble type sound, although if I got a Fuchs ODS, it would be a ODS 30 because I'm taking it to college.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
??? I don't know what amp to get! I wanted a dumbley sound, but now I've been listening to more Guthrie Govan, and I want a Cornford. Can anyone help Thanks.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details