So I've been playing electric for a couple months and only recently started to stand up and practice more often, and it has been quite difficult but I can feel myself getting more comfortable. Just a few ?'s on it though so I don't form bad habits:

1. How low should the guitar be? I have my strap set so the guitar is right at/barely above my waist. Curving my left hand up enough to play gets difficult at random times.

2. With angling the guitar, is it common to have it more parallell to the ground when playing at higher frets, while angling it so the neck comes closer to your face when playing lower frets? Or is this just me needing to develop more left hand strength to play properly with my left arm stretching a bit to get to the lower frets?

Thanks a lot for any help
well it depends on what you find comfy, its all about experimenting
also, might depend on what your playing and the technical ability needed
for example, many punk guitaristz have it slung low, whereas metal guitarists tend to get higher
(this is a generalisatuon, not anything you definaltey should stick to)
Equipment

GUITARS
Jackson RX10D
Ibanez GAX30
Ninja Strat Copy

AMPS
Laney LX120Twin Extreme
Fender Frontman 15W

Effects
Boss ME-20 Multi Effects Board
Quote by michaelscofield
So I've been playing electric for a couple months and only recently started to stand up and practice more often, and it has been quite difficult but I can feel myself getting more comfortable. Just a few ?'s on it though so I don't form bad habits:

1. How low should the guitar be? I have my strap set so the guitar is right at/barely above my waist. Curving my left hand up enough to play gets difficult at random times.

2. With angling the guitar, is it common to have it more parallell to the ground when playing at higher frets, while angling it so the neck comes closer to your face when playing lower frets? Or is this just me needing to develop more left hand strength to play properly with my left arm stretching a bit to get to the lower frets?

Thanks a lot for any help

For maximum comfort and minimal wear on your wrist you should have the guitar angled about 45 degrees, with the head around your neck/shoulders. Carrying it parallel to the ground is going to make you hurt your wrist to fret the strings, and it will be tougher to reach the higher frets.

play the way you feel better!

there are a lot of playing stances , if you play with the guitar very low, that doesn't necessarily mean you're a poser , and if you play with your guitar very up , that doesn't mean you are a ... well, something !

I believe we all tend to angle the guitar as we play the higher frets
Really its mainly about personal comfort. When I first started playing, I messed around with different strap lengths for a while, and stuck with what felt most comfortable. Personally, I like it right at my waist, maybe slightly lower. I play bass with my fingers and I like not having to bend my fingering arm because it feels more comfortable. I also angle my bass so the neck is closer to me because I find it easier to play that way too. I've seen many different styles and lengths, some practically to the players' necks, and as low as the knees. It's all about comfort, and body/arm lengths.

Although I gave no specifics to the "best" way, I hope this helps.
Its all personal comfort, I play bass and I have it hanging really low whereas my friend plays high
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
i've only been playing for a year now and i know exactly what your going through
i had the same problem when i got my guitar. but anyway alot of how you hold the guitar is whatever is comfortable to you, although what may be comfortable now may make it harder to play more complex songs in the future, i like to play with the guitar almost always parallel to the ground but thats just me, it really is whats more comfy for you. also, you may not really need to develop your left hand strength, but it may make it easier to play later on. i hope that was helpful, likely it wasnt, but yeah, its all on you
Easiest way is to set your strap length so the guitar is at the same angle and position it is when sitting. Of course this only works if you play with your guitar in the classical position (resting on your left knee) when sitting down. This may sound odd, but its true as some people play sitting down with their guitar resting on the right knee. THAT makes playing standing up harder because the position of the guitar changes changes. Hope that helps.
Wow thanks for all the responses guys! I think my mistake may have been that I saw a "proper" stance or position and I must do ti that way, when I realize now it really is about comfort. Playing with the axe at knees looks impossible to me, amazing how some can do it!

The main problem I run into is at higher frets becomes difficult to get my pinky up onto lower strings, I end up curving wrist a tad more. I just tried a few stances and messed with the strap setting and I think I feel pretty comfortable just above my waist and maybe at about 30-45 degrees. Still experimenting to do though!
Quote by Billy Picken
This may sound odd, but its true as some people play sitting down with their guitar resting on the right knee. THAT makes playing standing up harder because the position of the guitar changes changes. Hope that helps.

Most people play with the guitar on the right knee. It does not make playing standing up harder, it will just make you have to adjust the strap in a different way.
its all how comfortable you are. some people like it low some don't. whatever is easiest and most comfortable. don't look like a noob and play with it at your nipples though lol.
I just takes getting used to, at first it seems uncomfortable, but like everything else the more you practice the better you get at it, when i started i used it at my waist, but now i use it low, like near my thigh, and i can easily handle it because i move it around a lot, when i know i have to play something that i wont be able to reach in one position, i move it to another one.
Quote by candysars
Thank you Jesusaurus.
If you practise sitting down it'll probably feel alien standing up after a while, if you adjust the strap height so make the guitar around the same position as it would be on your body when you;re sat down you'll be able to play easier. That usually makes the guitar quite high up though and doesn't look cool at all, so from now on practise standing up andleaning forwards towards the floor
for me, the height you adjust the strap should be the most important factor. It should be in relatively the same place relative to your body as it would be sitting down. I like to put it so it's just below the sternum, rather than all the way down to the stomach.

And I use an angled position when holding the neck.

But it's all about your personal preference. It takes a bit of getting used to. When I first tried playing standing up I found it hard to play the first four notes from Metallica's "One." But it will become easier over time
As everyone said, its all personal preference, i play with the guitar at about the waist, the head goes at about a 45 degree angle, i prefer to play acoustic sitting down though.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.