I've been stuck at 110 bpm and if I'm gonna learn "Tender Surrender" I gotta break that! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to bust speed plateaus?
Why I Love Spanish Women

I'm hoping by "crack" you mean cleavage unless you have some kind of bizarre ass-chest.

Quote by Kensai
Dude, relax. Don't be so rape about things.
speed is a byproduct of accuracy, meaning the more comfortable you are with your guitar the easier it is to go faster. i'd recommend finding out WHY exactly it is you can't player any faster, i'd figure it has to do with tension and technique. btw, its ok to learn a song and play it slower than the original speed. it's more important to play cleanly than quickly.
Quote by taraholic
I've been stuck at 110 bpm and if I'm gonna learn "Tender Surrender" I gotta break that! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to bust speed plateaus?

don't try to get fast to play Tender Surrender. Learn Tender Surrender and get fast as a result. If that song is too hard, try something easier.

Focus on the music, let speed happen.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
don't try to get fast to play Tender Surrender. Learn Tender Surrender and get fast as a result. If that song is too hard, try something easier.

Focus on the music, let speed happen.

Yeah just because you can play a certain piece at a certain tempo doesn't mean you can play others at that tempo..
Quote by ouchies
Yeah just because you can play a certain piece at a certain tempo doesn't mean you can play others at that tempo..

Yeah, but it does mean there is a section of your vocabulary that is useable and playable at that tempo.
Quote by z4twenny
speed is a byproduct of accuracy, meaning the more comfortable you are with your guitar the easier it is to go faster. i'd recommend finding out WHY exactly it is you can't player any faster, i'd figure it has to do with tension and technique. btw, its ok to learn a song and play it slower than the original speed. it's more important to play cleanly than quickly.

^ you win an e-donut! That is absolutely it. Every speed plateau I've had has been because I'd reached the max speed that I could accomplish with my technique at the time. When the thing about my technique that was holding me back was corrected, my top speed would literally increase 20-30 bpm in a few weeks. And then crash into the next plateau. I've been through at least four of them that I can remember. Every time it was done to tension or too much finger movement.
Quote by se012101
. Every time it was done to tension or too much finger movement.

i suspect the same for the TS, most people have the idea that you have to really mash down on the strings and even playing 70 - 13's gauge strings in standard tuning i can easily say that you really don't have to press THAT hard. you need to press even less hard on thinner strings.
Quote by taraholic

Break the song down, find the licks in the song that are fast or you find difficult and then - make an exercise out of them.

Practice these exercises and make them your own by adding in extra notes, try it on different strings, different areas of the fret board.

That will make you very self sufficient as a guitarist, cuz you'll be experimenting with licks - making them your own, and creating your own unique style.
the downfall of many guitarists...the obsession with speed...

i understand it .. i have fallen to it .. it can be controlled..

tips: play on an acoustic (classical if possible) and start at a slow tempo..make each note ring..no cheating..learn the piece (scale, arpeggio, etc) whatever it is in several keys .. really KNOW what you are playing..

now play the piece in ALL the keys you have practiced as ONE piece of music..ie go from one key to the next without any break in tempo..

learn this technique in several positions..(in ALL positions)

learn how to mix and match keys .. if the keys you play are C G D A E .. and you can transition through them in order...now mix them ie .. C E D A G...and continue to do so until you feel comfortable in all keys..( thus the term "know it inside and out")

apply this principle to everything you play and it will come easier and faster and your sense of fretboard freedom will increase your speed...beyond just playing "fast"

now you can control the tempo...you can make it rise and fall at will..rather than " i only know how to play it fast"

true speed comes when you know what your playing .. playing what you don't know really fast will sound awkward and unbalanced and forced..and you will be exhausted trying to maintain the tempo beyond a few bars...

when you play with this technique on electric (with a touch of reverb and delay) ... ohhhh boy....

enjoy
Last edited by wolflen at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by wolflen
the obsession with speed...

it can be controlled..

tips: start at a slow tempo

really KNOW what you are playing..

true speed comes when you know what your playing .. playing what you don't know really fast will sound awkward and unbalanced and forced..and you will be exhausted trying to maintain the tempo beyond a few bars...

MUSCLE MEMORY
Really good info in this thread, I think I've pinpointed the cause of my difficulties as well, you guys are awesome