Hey everyone, I'm thinking of picking up a second guitar now that I'm content with my S470. My budget is $700, which can be used for a guitar, and pickups if needed. I preferably want something that has good pickups stock.

What I play: hard rock, and some metal. I use cleans to simulate an acoustic (until I get one), so as long as the cleans are smooth and somewhat clear I'm happy.

What amp I play on: Peavey XXX Super 40. Good hi-gain amp, with two good distortion channels (crunch/ultra).

Requirements: Hopefully good pickups, unless it's a real beast that I could live with until I can upgrade. I wanted something without a vibrato bridge, like an SG/LP/Explorer-type bridge. Needs to handle palm muting well. Low action.

24 frets would be nice, but not completely necessary. I've been looking at the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, LTD Viper 400, Schecter C-1 Blackjack, maybe a PRS SE Custom/Singlecut with pup change?
I have an Ibanez S470, and I plan on putting some new pickups in it (Evo 2/ Air Norton in bridge, PAF Joe in the neck), if that makes any difference. I want something different enough from the S470 to make me play both frequently.
Schecters play really really nicely for their price. I like them, but I don't necessarily swear by them.

Although, I don't see your purpose for a new guitar really... Especially since the one you have is better than any of those.

Are you gigging and need a backup?

Are you wanting switched tunings? (Most likely the case)

I say go to the closest GC and play them all. Really attack the shit out of them, and try everything you can to make them go out of tune. (without damaging them of course...)

The one that is the best feeling, and stays in tune the best, is the one you should get, unless it sounds the absolute worst.
The main thing I was is 24 frets. I would probably be fine with a locking bridge since I like the tuning stability and being able to go into dropped D without having to unlock the whole system.

24 frets, ebony/rosewood fretboard, and some nice aftermarket pups. I don't gig, but it'd be nice to have another guitar to mess with.
Jackson dinky has all of that, but you may not want emgs.
Gear
Jackson Dinky DKMGT Transparent Black
Yeah I'm not sure if I want EMG's, my amp is pretty hi-gain by itself. That Schecter seems a little gaudy judging by those inlays.
Quote by TJM2482
Yeah I'm not sure if I want EMG's, my amp is pretty hi-gain by itself. That Schecter seems a little gaudy judging by those inlays.

Come on man... That vintage sunburst is ****ing beautiful!

They sound pretty good, and I think you would like it a lot.

Look at a close picture of that sunburst. I think you will change your mind. It may look a bit flashy, but it's in a good way. Kind of like an Ibanez RG550 with the blaze orange.

I say check it out. I think you will grow to like it.
I like the guitar, but those inlays seem really overdone. Anyone got a picture of that in person? I hope it's not as flashy as it seems.
Quote by TJM2482
I like the guitar, but those inlays seem really overdone. Anyone got a picture of that in person? I hope it's not as flashy as it seems.

It looks amazing in person. I played one in GC.
Schecters all the way; the Hellraiser sounds great, although sadly I'm more of a passive guy so I'm gunna switch out the EMGs on it, but with the coiltaps they sound great (alot better than the normal ones!).

Blackjack's kinda blah to me since it's...black, like 2 of the 3 guitars I own. I'd actually look into either the C-1 Plus (with a pickup change) or the C-1 Classic. One of those is probably gunna be my next guitar too, so yea...go Schecter!

The PRS SE series isn't worth the green IMO; USA PRS or nothing for me. LTD guitars I also have a penchant for, but I've never played the Viper, and since it's ANOTHER ESP that's got EMGs, I'm not really interested in it.
there are other models of schecter that are pretty cool too
and they play really well
Ibanez SZ series with new pickups, Edwards LP, maybe even a used Carvin would be somewhere around your price range.
i was gonna say schecter c-1 classic, if i had the money i'd buy that guitar on looks alone, it does play really nice too

if you want something different than the ibanez, check out the epi prophecy series that just came out, they come stock with emgs or gibson dirty fingers pickups and they also have 24 frets
Between the velvet lies, there's a truth as hard as steel.
The vision never dies, life's a neverending wheel.