Hi, I've recently been looking to buy the mxl 990/991 kit and audio buddy package to record fingerstyle guitar. I'm just wondering if i'd lose much quality if i plugged the audio buddy straight into my mic-in port on my laptop? I've got a conexant high definition sound card.

Also i'm new to all this recording stuff, so i just want to make sure ive got this right.
I need to use xlr cables to plug the mics into the preamp, then 1/4 inch cables going from the preamp into an 1/8 inch adapter and then the adapter into the mic in, right?

Thanks, Dave.
i don't know much about this so my recommendation is to Search or Create over in Riffs and Recordings Forum.

basically you are right but forget about the mic in on laptop. Can you go USB? Find an M-Audio device that will do that and use that as a reference point.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
i don't know much about this so my recommendation is to Search or Create over in Riffs and Recordings Forum.

basically you are right but forget about the mic in on laptop. Can you go USB? Find an M-Audio device that will do that and use that as a reference point.

Yeah, i would prefer to go usb but im on abit of a budget and those usb preamps are abit out of my price range.
I'll post in recordings now anywho.

Thanks for the reply.