I am most likely trying out for jazz band this year and i would like to know what theory i would need to know.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Honestly? Little to none. Most of the jazz you'll play in high school will be written out for you. There won't be a lot of improvised lines or anything like that. Be able to read like a monster and you'll do more than fine. With the knowledge of how to construct a bassline, (which my quote in the above thread lines out really well) in case there is some unwritten changes in a song, you're set for the basic high school setting.

I mean, does it help? Yes, but you can learn it along the way, don't feel you need to know it all going in.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Honestly? Little to none. Most of the jazz you'll play in high school will be written out for you. There won't be a lot of improvised lines or anything like that. Be able to read like a monster and you'll do more than fine. With the knowledge of how to construct a bassline, (which my quote in the above thread lines out really well) in case there is some unwritten changes in a song, you're set for the basic high school setting.

I mean, does it help? Yes, but you can learn it along the way, don't feel you need to know it all going in.

Truth.

I played bass for the jazz band my senior year in high school and all of the parts were notated for you. There were times when I spiced it up by making a bass line that fit the chord progression though.

Theory will just allow you to explore the song a bit, but you'll always have something to fall back on without it.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
^Yes, theory is very handy in that way. You don't need it to play, but some of the parts are plain old boring. If you want to add to it, it's good to have a knowledge of chord theory so you can jot down the key or guitar part's chords and can kind of go with that a little more.

Like I said before, a little theory will be helpful, but beyond the most basic major scale/minor scale it's all cheese.
^ I like knowing enough "boring" theory to be able to tell everyone what they need to do to make them sound the way I want them to. Unfortunately my guitarist doesn't understand a word I say...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
point. that's what I do. 'finger there. then there. then chord it.'
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom