So Im in both my schools top bands. Wind ensemble for concert band, workshop for jazz. Wind ensemble is going to new york this year, workshop is going to europe.

The total cost will be $2800 and I need it by feb.

I know theres no way my family will be able to pay for it all unless I get a job, so tomorrow Im gonna go talk to my school counselor about what I can do (Im only 15, and I wont be 16 until after all the payments are due)

My question to UG is, whats it like being a student with a mild work week (lets say 15 hours a week).

Do you have time for school and your job? Do you still have time for friends? Are you constantly tired?

Note to mods and assholes. This is not another thread about what jobs there are, but more what having a job is like. So be cool and dont delete/searchbar joke
Last edited by zeppelinfreak51 at Sep 10, 2008,
dont really have time for anything, right after school i go to the dairy queen across the street, work from 3-6, go home, I make only $25 a day, but its good for me. and I usually get to do my homework when working too so its not bad at all.
[IMG]http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q264/chw42/spiderjamesPJsig.png[/IMG]
15 hours a week is not enough bru. once you have a job you will need to pay for all your shit you want to do i.e. movies, shit like that. to make 3 grand by feb ur gonna need to have a decent amount.

i work around 20 hours a week, and i manage ok. constantly tired, but ok.
Quote by KiErAn123
15 hours a week is not enough bru. once you have a job you will need to pay for all your shit you want to do i.e. movies, shit like that. to make 3 grand by feb ur gonna need to have a decent amount.

i work around 20 hours a week, and i manage ok. constantly tired, but ok.

My parents will still be paying for the bulk. Ill prolly just need to come up with a few hundred to seal the deal. And at this point, movies and "shit like that" is very low on my list of priorities.
Eh, you won't be able to fap all day and go on UG. You'll just have less free time.
I used to work 12 hours a week when I was at school and got by just fine financially and academically. The only thing you have to make sure is that you don't let work take over your school commitments - once you have your contracted hours agreed, don't go over them (don't do overtime) because that's when it's easy to start slacking with school.

Good luck!
I work about 15 hours a week (its a bit less than that atm, though, I work in the seasonal department of canadian tire, so it's kind of a slow period between summer and christmas/winter, so everyones got less hours..), and I have enough time for friends/school. I'm sometimes pretty tired, though.

Lots of part-time workers are scheduled on weekends at most places. Full-timers take the day shifts on weekdays, then usually one or two part-timers'll close, so expect to work on the weekend (usually not all day on the weekend, though, just a regular shift..), and once or twice during the week.
You might have to stay up late a few nights depending on your homework load, but it's not too hard to work a social life around a part time job..

And btw, your Jazz band goes to Europe?! awesome. I wish my school had a jazz band, and if we did, I'd wish we went to Europe..
Quote by TheEducatedFool
$2800 for Europe and New York? Our London/Paris trip was that much.

We have an amazing travel agent.

Last year our marching band went to disney world, and it was like $300 the trip (there was a real nice hotel, 3 day park hopper pass, etc etc)
Quote by Rox0r713
I have a wife, 3 kids, work 50-60 hours per week and go to school full-time, yet I still find time to post on UG...

Yeah, you can work a few hours to pursue your dreams.

This is reassuring.
I work 3 hours, right after school at my job right across the street, every weekday. It's fine though, I bring my homework there and practically finish it, because I finish my job work so early, so I've got time to do my homework. I also have a spare, so I always do my homework there and finish it.

Because of this, I rarely get any homework. I can't really hangout on weekdays though, but I try to make room for friends on the weekdays. It's all good man.

To get $2800 by February, you should try and work at least 12 hours a week, at a $10/hr wage, for 6 months. But that means you have to start working NOW. If not, make as much money as you can at some job, and try and convince your parents to at least pay for $500.
I will soon perish from this lethal injection called love.
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
This is reassuring.

I'm just saying. . . Life is what you make it. If you want time for other things, you make the time. I was, for many years in my late teens, afraid of the life I now live. I didn't think a person could manage working full-time AND schooling full-time AND a family AND have any time for fun, but... I was wrong.

Edit: I forgot to add in that I also manage to have time to practice guitar regularly, am going to start the drums, and am in the midst of forming a band. See? You can do it, TS!
Last edited by Rox0r713 at Sep 10, 2008,
Quote by Rox0r713
I have a wife, 3 kids, work 50-60 hours per week and go to school full-time, yet I still find time to post on UG...

Yeah, you can work a few hours to pursue your dreams.

lol good to see that you're pursuing your dream of posting on ug.
I work and i'm at Uni and its pretty easy to manage. When you have less time you get better at time management
I wouldn't worry too much about losing time with friends. You should have time for school work and your job, and I'm guessing you're a sophomore if you live in the US, and I'm assuming you aren't in too hard of classes. You should be fine. You'll need to work more than 15 hours though.

Where I live, minimum wage is $5.85. I'm betting you will start off there. There are approximately 28 weeks until February 28. So about $3,276 if you work no less than 20 hours a week, and that's before tax is taken out. You must also calculate weekly expenses, like food, going out with a friend, random shit.
Write your own lyrics or poetry? Post them HERE for a crit.
Follow me on Twitter
I'm working 15-20 hours a week and I have plenty of time for everything. I usually work 4-8 hours in a weekend and from 5 to 9:30 on two or three weekdays. I get every Friday off and most Saturdays, so my social life is fine. Homework isnt too much of an issue, but get used to staying up late on nights you work. I'm not always tired, just after days I work and stay up late doing homeowrk.

And don't expect $10/hr, especially at 15. I'm 16, work at Best Buy and make $8. My friends work fast food and make $7.
Okay, so it sounds like it shouldnt be all that tough.

I took all normal classes (no honors or AP) cause I had a feeling this would happen. So I guess that was good foresight.

Now I just need to find a job!

There IS a best buy by my house...is it a good place to work?
It took me 6 years to figure out time management. And I still haven't gotten it down.

But that's just me. I worked anywhere from 10-25 hours per week during the school year when I was in high school, and I survived. I was in 4 AP classes my junior and senior years, and I still did fine. I'm doing aerospace engineering in college now, and I work 20 hours per week as well.

It's possible. Just make sure you're not lazy.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by redwing_suck
It took me 6 years to figure out time management. And I still haven't gotten it down.

But that's just me. I worked anywhere from 10-25 hours per week during the school year when I was in high school, and I survived. I was in 4 AP classes my junior and senior years, and I still did fine. I'm doing aerospace engineering in college now, and I work 20 hours per week as well.

It's possible. Just make sure you're not lazy.

ZOMG!!! FOUR AP CLASSES?????

Thats like 12 hours of homework a night at my school!!!!
I make about 100-200 a week, and I have lots of time to do stuff. I work 4-8 on Thursday, 4-11 on Friday, and sometimes I work 5-6 hours each on Saturday and Sunday. The Friday kind of sucks, but at least I get off work reasonably early.
Best Buy is a fantastic place to work if u can get hired. I got lucky as I applied right when they started building a new store. Crazy good discounts, I make a bit less than $8/hr just because I'm 16 and had no job experience.

4 AP classes? not bad. I'm only in two this year but I think i'm taking like five or six next year (senior)
I got off lucky, i teach guitar as a "job" I work 4 hours on Saturdays and 4 hours on Thursdays. The Thursday lessons aren't too bad, I just have to stay up a little late to get my homework done.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, it's to make the other bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Last edited by justnmcknz at Sep 20, 2008,