I am in eighth grade and might be going into the Jazz band for Alto Saxophone for the high school (9-12 grade). I like metal, but I enjoy Jazz, too. Once in High School (when I can actually learn to play leads) I plan on switching from Jazz sax to Jazz guitar. Are there any rhythmically challenging Jazz guitar songs any of you guys know? I really wanna learn to play Jazz guitar because I love the sound of it.
try some bossa or latin based jazz tunes like girl from ipanea, blue bossa, or one note samba. Any jazz tune can be rhythmically complex if you want it to be.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
most jazz stuff isn't terribly rhythmically challenging.
I was in the exact same spot as you were 2 years back, I highly suggest you try out for guitar, it's a great niche, especially if the sax players in your band are really good (I play sax in normal band, but went for guitar in Jazz Band)

As far as rhythms go, most stuff you'll be playing is background figures, four quarter notes to the measure etc, etc. However, you'll be playing these simple rhythms using chords like a G13#11 or a C#m7b5.

If you don't already know how to read sheet music for guitar, LEARN.

If you want stuff to listen to, try some Bossa Nova, or any Latin Jazz; the guitar rhythms are pretty varied and tricky. The Girl from Ipanema everyone knows of course, but really listen to the guitar part--its quite quirky.

Also, if you got the cash, buy a semi-hollow. It won't suit you real well for metal, but your conductor will probably give you points for bringing in a Jazz guitar rather than say, your Jackson.

Hope this all helps!
jb335, I don't have a Jackson I have a Fender Strat with a humbucker. I hope to get a Jackson though. Thanks though, for the advice.
Take 5 is in 5/4.

There are a few other odd time signatures, but I can't think of any, right now.

If you want a doable song that's actually quite difficult, try Round Midnight by Monk.
jb 335 excelent words of wisdom also another tip if your conductor happens to play guitar roll off your guitars tone. its lends the guitar a jazzier sound and most of the guitarists in my school negllected that and you know who did get teh lead slot? yours truly
Quote by MusicLine
Gundam pilota09, i'm happy for you, and imma let you finish, but Moses had the best ten commandements of ALL TIME.

Had to do it.
Quote by Gundam pilota09
jb 335 excelent words of wisdom also another tip if your conductor happens to play guitar roll off your guitars tone. its lends the guitar a jazzier sound and most of the guitarists in my school negllected that and you know who did get teh lead slot? yours truly

Wow, that sounds great thanks!
haha yeah, I can't believe I forgot to mention that! Even my conductor, who doesn't know a fret from a firetruck made sure my tone was down. So tone down, and use just the neck pickup. That is the generally accepted "jazz guitar tone."

And I didn't mean for the Jackson comment to ruffle your feathers Dan.

I was only thinking of a picture of a previous Jazz band we've got in our band room where the guitarist is holding some crazy Ibanez with like a Floyd Rose and EMGs. It's just the wrong tool for the job.

Good Luck!
Quote by dantheguitarist
jb335, I don't have a Jackson I have a Fender Strat with a humbucker. I hope to get a Jackson though. Thanks though, for the advice.

I actually play a Jackson in my High School jazz band! (A King V, not RR). I would rather use a proper jazz guitar, but I am broke, so my Jacksons fine.

But yes, you have to be able to construct complex chords and sight-read. Its a challenge, but it forces you to become a better musician. I love metal, but jazz is a whole 'nother story. Its really fun and challenging
at the same time, using a jackson would be totally bad ass, so kudos to you slayer!
A great song to get used to quick chord changes and difficult ones, is Moten Swing.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)