So, i went to my first classical guitar lesson today. he said that if i go to music college there are two things you study. Either Classical or jazz. now i don't mind either ( my main style is like rock/metal progressive stuff, typical electric guitar stuff)

So im kind of like uhh idk which one i want to study. What i hope to do with my future in music is play live most nights and teach guitar all day. now i don't want to be famous or any of that BS i just want to play music every night.

The music i probably most want to play is like progressive metal/rock kind of stuff. I also wanted to know that if say i go with classical. will i be totally constricted to classical and it won't help me at all with my electric stuff and i will be torn between the two. or will they both kind of mesh because metal's kind of like classically influenced i guess.

And if i got this all wrong and im totally wrong about the two paths at music college please clue me in!
either will help you a great deal. Classical will improve your technique (its not all technique though), Jazz will improve your theoretical knowledge. Either will make you a better sightreader and musician in general.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
well progressive has both classical and jazz influence (depends on the band) so go with whatever you like, but to me jazz is more improv and less melody and classical is more melody and less improv, but that's just from what i have heard

from what i have heard by people that have gone to music school is that jazz is easier if you can't read sheet music, which is required for classical
I'm taking jazz at my university and I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to music style. The theory can relate to all types of music so I highly recommend you take jazz also. Classical will sure as hell make your technique a lot better (on a classical guitar).

from what i have heard by people that have gone to music school is that jazz is easier if you can't read sheet music, which is required for classical

You will learn to sightread in jazz also. Actually, my teachers say the non music-literate guitar players usually become better sight readers than the other jazz students.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Last edited by bean-o at Sep 10, 2008,
Ya so the technique for the classic guitar you don't think will translate over in anyway to Electric? Like i bet if you played classical guitar you could write better metal compositions because of your classical training?

Im only a junior so i got like 2 years till im in college so i think i could be efficient at sight reading by them so thats not a major problem.

But just because i go classical in college doesn't mean i have to only play classical guitar, like i can still write metal stuff and probably play in a rock/metal band. Do all the famous guitarists in metal band go classical?
You can study contemporary music at many universities. You need to be a good jazz or classical player to get into a decent school these days and there is a lot of tough competition out there. You also should really enjoy jazz and especially listening to it because if you don't then it is really not a good use of your time. I don't know where you live, but at SUNY Purchase, a school with a top jazz program that I visited, I talked to someone with a guitar and he was in the recording section of the music program and he could really play what ever music he wanted to while also learning about recording and music tech. Maybe you could look into that.
12 fret fury
Classical doesn't involve very little improvisation. Classical involves no improvisation. Jazz, on the other hand, is almost entirely improvised in the professional arena, but school bands are a lot larger than most of today's pro jazz acts, and so involve a lot of reading by necessity. Either one will improve your technique.

Classical guitars are much harder to play than electrics, which does give you more versatility by being able to play different kinds of guitars. It'll be really good at enhancing your sight reading, finger dexterity (lots of weird chords in classical music), and phrasing. Plus, it's a lot easier to learn how to hybrid pick if you can already play fingerstyle and with a plectrum.

But there are some things you can do on an electric that you can't do on a nylon string (bends!) and classical guitar is played fingerstyle, so you're picking technique may become neglected. Also, jazz will greatly improve your ability to improvise in a variety of keys and scales. Also, because of improvisation, composition and playing become intertwined in jazz whereas in classical they are generally discussed separately (different courses). Because it's more modern, you'll find jazz more frequently applies to what's happening in today's popular music world than classical (although neither are commonly used).

However, most schools allow you to take courses in both disciplines, even if you're focusing on one or the other.
Jazz is usually the more polyvalent of the two. Over here, certainly.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Well, I'm in my second year of taking classical guitar at a private school and in my experience the classical guitar will greatly improve your left hand technique but your right hand picking technique will drop pretty quickly if you've don't make an effort to keep it up. The classical guitar is a nice instument to play, but the more advanced peices can be extremely frustrating at times. What I've found to be the most beneficial here are the other music degree classes like aural skills and theory classes, guitar ensemble classes, class piano etc. What will improve the most isn't your technique, although it will, but your musicianship skills.