Well i finally paid it off, my first all tube combo. well the thing is, ive always wanted one, but now that i have it, i am posed with a few questions, anyway first the specs:

15 watts RMS
2x 12AX7 Preamp Tubes
2xEL84 Output tubes
Controls:
High, Mid, Low
Volume (pre)
Master
Boost switch

Now the questions:

1.How the hell do i take care of this thing, because first of all, there is no standby switch, so how can i ensure my babys safety and longevity

2.how do i know how old my tubes are and when il need to retube it?

3.Is it safe to retube it myself, or should i pay a professional

first question is first priority, cheers.
Schecter Emo-7--->Various Boss Pedals--->Peavey XXX 120watt head----->Marshall1960AV
Quote by -MintSauce-
Do I look like I need a team of helpers and trained animals to carry out my daily activities?
i'd like to know the name of it before anything sir.
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
oh lol completely forgot, its a good ol peavey classic 20 with a sexy tweed covering
Schecter Emo-7--->Various Boss Pedals--->Peavey XXX 120watt head----->Marshall1960AV
Quote by -MintSauce-
Do I look like I need a team of helpers and trained animals to carry out my daily activities?
1. It won't hurt the amp, just slightly decrease the life of the tubes. Rolling the volume down on your guitar will work as a pseudo standby switch

2. If they go bad you will have a volume loss, the sound will cut in and out. If they're old you'll notice the tone sounding worse.

3. If I'm not mistaken peavey classics are cathode bias so all you'd have to do is unplug the old ones and plug the new ones in, no need for a tech.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
great buy man! i use to have one, i regret that i sold it, i miss that baby.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

lol yea, just because im so happy about the buy il write a few words about it:

Well, first thing i did when i saw it in the shop was go home and research it, because apart from it looking damn fine, the harmony central reviews were mostly perfect 10's, and it also seems they no longer make the 20's, hopefully that means value appreciation in a while ^^. once i had it on layby i was reading a different review on sevenstring.org saying that "Its a great amp but it sucks for metal" and now that i have it, i realise either that person was deaf or didnt know how to turn a knob, because u can get an awesome vintage sound if u crank the master and turn the preamp gain down a bit, but if u crank that preamp gain even without the boost switch you can get a pretty damn hi-gain sound, this amp has all that i want, and im sure happy with it ^^
Quote by -MintSauce-
Well, it really isn't that great for anything modern, but an amp like that ought to do thrashy stuff with a boost.
oh it handles metal fine, i been playing necrophagist and decapitated all the way thru to SRV since i got it home an hour ago
Quote by -MintSauce-
Awesome, when I tried a classic 30 I never turned the gain up more than what was needed for classic rock.
yea, the classics are good amps, a little inconvenient that you cant switch boost on/off with a footswitch but hey, they dont break the bank too much. does any1 know where i can find some sort of step-by-step guide to re-tubing? the amps second hand so im thinkn of re-tubing it in the not so distant future
Quote by -MintSauce-
Quote by Ashervallen
yea, the classics are good amps, a little inconvenient that you cant switch boost on/off with a footswitch but hey, they dont break the bank too much. does any1 know where i can find some sort of step-by-step guide to re-tubing? the amps second hand so im thinkn of re-tubing it in the not so distant future

If it's like all the other Peaveys, all you do is take the old ones out and put the new ones in. That's it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
lol erm so would i just sorta tug them out?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Yup, just pull straight down. I use a rag if the tubes are hot so I don't burn myself.
lol im scared id **** it up.
Quote by -MintSauce-
would you say its harder or easier than restringing a guitar lol
Quote by -MintSauce-
lol okey dokey, i guess i better giv it a go next time. would it be worth changing the pre amp tubes as well though? i hear they outlast the power tubes by quite a bit
Quote by -MintSauce-
See what it has in it. I'm pretty sure those amps came with some subpar sovteks. If they are you could get some jj, I heard they go pretty good in those amps.
yea well the 12AX7's just say peavey on thm, so i guess theyre just rebranded cheapies, prbly sovteks. the EL84's, all i cn see is the letters "elec..." but im guessing theyre EH
Quote by -MintSauce-
Yar, peavey uses cheap tubes. If you're going to buy new ones JJs seem to be the bomb for EL84s.
so i hear, thanx heaps, where would i be with you Ultimate Guitar?
Quote by -MintSauce-
Yeah, definitely get JJ EL84's. Preamp tubes are personal preference. JJ's are a good match, but I bet tungsols would be even better.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Congrats on the new amp. Something to be said about pride of ownership when you buy your own gear with your hard earned money. Take care of that thing like it sounds you will and it will reward you in return. Now go break those tubes in!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
lol well, ive well and truely broken the peavey in, i havent stopped playing it all day, and ive broken a string on each of my guitars, and have holes on my fingers so it seems...
Quote by -MintSauce-
lol just breaking them from overuse, i regularly setup my guitars, and put graphite on the nut if needed, make sure theres no snags etc, strings just reach there time, and yesterday their time was up.
Quote by -MintSauce-