well the title says it
i want a cheap guitar(less than 200$)
i am going to play mostly ska with this, the amp is going to be a hartke A100 bass amp
i know 200$ maybe a nothing to most of you but i dont have much money and i am bassits who happens to play guitar but my current guitar is too metal to me(cheap RGlike) and i am selling it to buy a new more clean guitar
i am thinking of a squier tele, affinty or california series
any info on this squier california series? they are old models?
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
I'm not a huge tele fan, but it should be great for ska.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by tona_107
Bradley Nowell played ska with an Ibanez.

As did Aaron Barret
Fender 50th Anniversary Strat
ESP KH-2
Gibson SG Standard
Marshall JVM210H
Marshall DSL50
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange 4x12 w/ Vintage 30s

Quote by druz15_UG
LPDave wins the internet!!!
for under 200, belive it or not, first act strats are pretty nice. mine cost about 100-150 but it holds up. ive dropped it a lot of times but its still playable and has a nice sound to it. i sugest the s/s/s w/ trem so you can play some blues with it also lol. i play a lil of everything but blues are my main. you can play anything on a first act lol.
Go to guitar shops in your area, bring your bass amp. Decide which one sounds the best. Someone will be able to give you specific suggestions but don't always stick to them though they may be a good place to start.
Quote by LPDave
As did Aaron Barret

i know that
he is my favourite guitarrist, but my guitar is not an ibanez, its a cheap RGlike wich is really nice for high gain metal and crazy flody tricks, but this guitar is not for me, also i want to play BLUES! and i want those nice cleans, i tried teles and i loved them but i want to know other peoples opinons and thinks to have in my mind befor buying
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Last edited by litus at Sep 10, 2008,
Well if you love tele's...get one.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
Quote by HLrocker
Well if you love tele's...get one.

thinking this a bit better i wonder why did i started this thread?
My Gear

fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Is this a joke? Ska died long ago?

If not, what would be a positive trait in a guitar that would benefit ska rhythm? I would think you can play ska just fine in almost any guitar on a clean channel.
Single coils sound great for ska music. I really love the Telecaster middle position (both neck and bridge pickup). I know you liked the telecaster, but also consider a Stratocaster as well you may like the sound of the the odd positions like the neck/ middle and middle/ bridge. Add a nice reverb pedal on top of that you'll be on the train to skaville! For the budget you could go squier which is not bad.. but you could get a Telecaster copy from Guitarfetish.com. I've heard many good things about Xaviere guitars from people on these fourms. They sell Telecasters, Stratocasters, Thinline Teles (semi hollow) all for under 200 bucks, so I would give them a look. Honestly I've been looking at the XV 600 for a while now but I don't have the cash =(
Hope this helps
Rudeboy out!
MIM Fender Telecaster
SX GG1 Junior (Les Paul Special clone)
Dillion Canada DXC 58 (DC Les Paul Junior)
Fender Joe Strummer Telecaster
Squier CV Duo Sonic
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special
Squier Jazz Bass
Vox DA 15
Fender FM 212R
Squier Classic Vibe Teles are pretty good, might want check those out; it's slightly above your budget though.
Single coil isn't always used in ska. Two of my favorite ska guitar players, Chris Demakes (Less Than Jake) and Tomas Kalnoky (Streetlight Manifesto) play humbuckers, on a Les Paul and a ES-335, respectively. Like whats already been said, bring in your amp and just try out a bunch of guitars until you find the sound you're looking for.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Aaron Barrett used an ibanez?
this is news to me.
Quote by Sid McCall
Yeah, they don't arrest/ticket hobos because they can't pay the fines. Then they hang out in the jail all day eating free food. There's no point.

Quote by Brendan.Clace
Oh god...this thread....it is going places....
well... i guess i gots a question too.....

what would be the best guitar for punk music?....to get some of that old school tone and fuzz, like the early ramones stuff...i dont really want to know what type of pedal or amp or anything.. just a guitar (under $200)
Quote by Matt15f
Is this a joke? Ska died long ago?

If not, what would be a positive trait in a guitar that would benefit ska rhythm? I would think you can play ska just fine in almost any guitar on a clean channel.

**** off and go listen to a7x or some other cheesy metal troll.

Tele would work great though TS. Your ibanez will too actually, but nothing can beat that nice warm tele sound.

Quote by CurlyBash
well... i guess i gots a question too.....

what would be the best guitar for punk music?....to get some of that old school tone and fuzz, like the early ramones stuff...i dont really want to know what type of pedal or amp or anything.. just a guitar (under $200)

Anything. No seriously. Go to a pawn shop.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Quote by jake911
Ibanez Jetking?

Ehhhhhh. It doesn't get that trebly of a sound. Slap some flatwounds on it and it's a hell of a jazzbox, though. That's why I love mine.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by Underjoggle
Ehhhhhh. It doesn't get that trebly of a sound. Slap some flatwounds on it and it's a hell of a jazzbox, though. That's why I love mine.

I don't get the idea of people thinking ska guitar is treble, it's not. It's a good balence actually, it's the reverb on dub stuff that lead people to believe ska guitar = treble.

Tell me, if ska guitar's are commonly hollowbodys and telecasters, how the **** are you getting a treble sound out of them?
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
It depends what you want. If you want a thicker, Reel Big Fish type tone, an LP style guitar will benefit you the most. If you want something like the Toasters or ASOB, you'd be best off with a strat or tele.
Dickless.
ASOB has a pretty gritty tone, they get pretty skacore at times.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120
Quote by l3p4rd
ASOB has a pretty gritty tone, they get pretty skacore at times.

I can get some pretty gnarly tones out of my friend's tele.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
I can get some pretty gnarly tones out of my friend's tele.

Yeah you can, tele's are thick, they do ska well all around. Hollowbodys are really good for it too because of the searing distortion you can get outta hollowbodys. Aaron Barret uses one of occasion if that's the tone you're looking for

TS, give some bands that you wanna be close to the tone of.
Peavey 6505+
Gretsch G5120