Page 1 of 2
Okay, so here's the deal. I'm a GG&A regular, and i constantly hear people referencing to something called a GAS list. I have tried to not ask this newbie question, and YES, I have searched the forums. But what exactly does it mean?

I don't feel comfortable using this term without knowing what it's an abbreviation of.

Anyways, from what I got, I'm currently gassing for:
diamond mk3 j-drive( will get at the end of the month)
new guitar, epiphone elitist or MIA strat, haven't decided yet
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by end_citizen
Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome

I knew the G was gear, and the S was syndrome. But couldn't figure out the A.

Thanks!
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Thank gawd someone asked, I didn't wanna be a newb and ask myself.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Thank gawd someone asked, I didn't wanna be a newb and ask myself.

thought I was the only one

thanks for the newb comment though you calling me a newb?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
you guys knew better.............

....come on.

Funny, cause it is acually a 60's slang term too only they didn't use our abbreviation.

like the Rolling Stones....."it's a gas gas gas..."

or "that's a gas!"

it's all good

my problem is the longer i hang out here...the longer my GAS list gets
Dan: No, no, I wouldn't say that to your face.

EC: Hey, thanks, I try.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Funny, cause it is acually a 60's slang term too only they didn't use our abbreviation.

that must be why I didn't know, I was born in '92, sorry
Quote by Kevin Saale
Dan: No, no, I wouldn't say that to your face.

05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Lol, I have to admit I just looked it up on a acronym site earlier today myself.. I couldnt take it anymore....

haha see, I was gonna just google it, but I decided to post it on here, in case there were other people with the same question
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
GAS is what happens when you drain the new car fund for a new amp/guitar. Happens to all of us @ some point. Intervention and Rehab FTL.
yeah the real problem becomes when you have to drive a car that takes gas to get to a job to make money to feed your GAS habbit only to spend more on gas to get somewhere to buy and relieve your GAS (if only temporarily)!

something like that.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 11, 2008,
i wish i didn't know what GAS meant... admitting you have a problem might be the first step on the way to recovery, but also knowing it's something other people suffer from too makes it not seem so bad and lets you rationalise it, "oh, it's not me, it's the GAS"...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yup, GAS is a powerful thing.... One moment I love my rig then 5 minutes later I hate it and want to sell it all. Then realize that wouldnt be rational so I tweak some stuff and love it again only to hate it again the next day.. It sucks lol
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Yup, GAS is a powerful thing.... One moment I love my rig then 5 minutes later I hate it and want to sell it all. Then realize that wouldnt be rational so I tweak some stuff and love it again only to hate it again the next day.. It sucks lol

I never hate my rig, except for occasionally my one unforgiving amp that is quick to remind you if you're technique is less than stellar!
Hate the fingers, don't hate the rig. When you really hate your tone, ask yourself this:
Would Yngwie sound good on my rig?
BTW-Right now I'm GASing for one of Colin's upcoming amps. I can't wait. Already hiding money from the wife to buy one !
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
Quote by Dave_Mc
i wish i didn't know what GAS meant... admitting you have a problem might be the first step on the way to recovery, but also knowing it's something other people suffer from too makes it not seem so bad and lets you rationalise it, "oh, it's not me, it's the GAS"...

True. I have admitted the problem, then I went on craigslist... I'm far from recovery....

But I'm freaking out! Kevin, IbanezPsycho, and dany the TS??? You make me feel like I'm not a newb, not saying you are, not saying you aren't!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by riffhog

I never hate my rig, except for occasionally my one unforgiving amp that is quick to remind you if you're technique is less than stellar!
Hate the fingers, don't hate the rig. When you really hate your tone, ask yourself this:
Would Yngwie sound good on my rig?
BTW-Right now I'm GASing for one of Colin's upcoming amps. I can't wait. Already hiding money from the wife to buy one !

Looks at riffhogs rig... Gee I just cant figure out why you dont hate your rig As for your rig a 12 year old paraplegic could sound good, mine not so much

My main issue is my cab im fine with the amps (if you dont count the GAS i have for an ENGL or Bogner amp lol) but yea the speakers have to go soon.... And as for skill, fingers and all that mumbo jumbo, I have a good ear for tone even with my sloppy playing. Example I sound decent on my rig but I sound great on a Uberschall. Same fingers different rig ;-)
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 11, 2008,
riffhog = gearhog. Period. Nice gear bro! Don't let that cat chew on any of those cables, just sayin'... Mee-yOOOWWWW!!!
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
my problem is the longer i hang out here...the longer my GAS list gets

Same problem here haha
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
^ definitely. riffhog's gear is badass, by the way.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The worst thing with the GAS, and probably the reason why it's so god damn addictive (well... GAS IS an addiction), is because you always think it will end up very soon, as soon as you get that next thing. But when you've bought that one, another one or two things will come up for you to GAS after.
You think you'll soon be on top of the mountain, but you're just falling and falling...
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
The worst thing with the GAS, and probably the reason why it's so god damn addictive (well... GAS IS an addiction), is because you always think it will end up very soon, as soon as you get that next thing. But when you've bought that one, another one or two things will come up for you to GAS after.
You think you'll soon be on top of the mountain, but you're just falling and falling...

Yup, thats whats holding me back from pulling the trigger on a few amps. I know even if I get something new ill probably end up being in the same boat. But the good thing about guitar gear is trading up or trading in general. Makes GAS a little more affordable and gives you the ability to move around pretty quickly. And nothing will compare to the money I spent when I used to drag and street race. Spending $500 bucks for something that only gives you 1hp will make you bleed in places I really dont want to talk about.
^I've never tried to trade stuffs. Even though I'm somewhat tempted to either:
a) trade my Bluesbreaker + cash for a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550 head
b) sell my Bluesbreaker and buy a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550 head
That's as close as I've ever have been to a trade idea, even though it will still cost me money.

And yes, there are way more expensive interests you can have compared to guitar playing, take horse riding for example :/ I was talking to someone who was into that thing, and god damn... I will never complain about having to buy new strings.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Hultan
^I've never tried to trade stuffs. Even though I'm somewhat tempted to either:
a) trade my Bluesbreaker + cash for a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550 head
b) sell my Bluesbreaker and buy a Marshall Silver Jubilee 2550 head
That's as close as I've ever have been to a trade idea, even though it will still cost me money.

And yes, there are way more expensive interests you can have compared to guitar playing, take horse riding for example :/ I was talking to someone who was into that thing, and god damn... I will never complain about having to buy new strings.

When I was getting out of racing I actually traded my old nitrous kit for guitar gear lol. And usually I trade up stuff for new stuff at used equipment stores or with guitar friends of mine. I get tired of stuff pretty fast and it helps ease the pain. Also comes in handy when looking for your own tone because you can get some stuff not commonly on the shelves by trading. Modding is another thing that helps my GAS as well, anytime I want something new I see if I can mod what I have now first.

But yea man you should give it a shot I know a guy that usually sits on something for a while and eventually someone really wanting the gear he has always approachs him with something worth alot more in trade. He has traded up amps he got for $300 for amps worth $1300. But common practice is loosing a few bucks or gaining a few bucks in the trade process.

And very true when I was a kid we used to train and raise race horses, so I know all to well how much that stuff can cost...
Quote by Hultan

This is a man who UNDERSTANDS!
There's never a shortage of more cool stuff to lust after.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I need to update the profile pics to include the 5150 III!!! Teh secks !

IP-You're right about the tone thing. Good becomes great. That's why I really don't like the purple amp some days. It should sound great, but my fingers won't cooperate!
I can hear Gollum's voice: "The purple amp hateses meeee!! It makes me keeels my guitar!"
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by riffhog
This is a man who UNDERSTANDS!
There's never a shortage of more cool stuff to lust after.

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I need to update the profile pics to include the 5150 III!!! Teh secks !

IP-You're right about the tone thing. Good becomes great. That's why I really don't like the purple amp some days. It should sound great, but my fingers won't cooperate!
I can hear Gollum's voice: "The purple amp hateses meeee!! It makes me keeels my guitar!"

That you do, your gear is always good eye candy and adding another one to the mix is just that much more sweeter...

Lol, thats the main reason the Vavle Jr. I purchased only lasted me three days before I got rid of her... Kicked to the curb she was....
My name is John U, and I have GAS.

And I don't want a cure.

So, right now, I am driving without insurance and no registration, but my rig sounds sweet!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
I have actually a pretty sweet car with insurance and registration and everything, and also sweet gear But I have a well payed job right now so...
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by Hultan
But I have a well payed job right now so...

HAHAHA! Me TOO!!! But the more I make, the more I spend!
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
lmao! I wasn't expecting this thread to have 30 replies since last night I log into UG, look on GG&A like the usual, and my threads at the top of the list lol

and riffhog, you make me jealous.

and dave, don't even talk about other people's gear to hide your own can't believe your gear hasn't been mentioned. You have one of the nicest collection of amps/guitars/pedals on UG in my opinion
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Same here, I'm broke after about 10-15 days after the paycheck because of this god damn gas (I get payed every 15:th of the month), but this time I will stop buying stuffs when there is only about 500 euros left - so I can eat, and live.

This month I have the following stuffs to buy:
Yamaha DTxplorer electric drum kit
15" PA speaker
Small mixer (maybe 70 euros)
SansAmp DI box
Japanese Jazz bass (1962 reissue)
and WB custom pickups

EDIT: And I have a scumback speaker ordered for my Cornell Plexi 7 amp, which I just handed in to a professional to change tubes.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Sep 11, 2008,
My wife has been getting most of my GAS money lately. The cost of her getting lasik alone could have been a brand new Uberschall then to boot she wanted a puppy

But I cant complain and if I do all she has to do is point to the my Home Theater setup with the 186" screen and my complaints are pretty much dead in the water lol
I didn't know what it meant either until a week or so ago. And I spend all my time in GG&A. I'm gasing for a lot of shit though. Mostly resonable stuff with another listI can only dream of.
Quote by danyellenik
lmao! I wasn't expecting this thread to have 30 replies since last night I log into UG, look on GG&A like the usual, and my threads at the top of the list lol

and riffhog, you make me jealous.

and dave, don't even talk about other people's gear to hide your own can't believe your gear hasn't been mentioned. You have one of the nicest collection of amps/guitars/pedals on UG in my opinion

Thank you so much, but +1 to Dave's gear.
Dave's got one of the sweetest guitars on UG. That thing is beautiful!

ZOSO-the walls aren't pink! They're "salmon". It actually looks f-ing cool when you're in the room!

danyellenik-you started a serious thread here, because it's something that affects us all! You created the GAS Anonymous. Now we must adhere to our 2-step program (that's NOT a typo)...................save & buy!!
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

oh i search barred it, not be a dick who says search bar
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
The GAS, I have it, but I must say, it'd be a lot worse if I actually had a decent income.

Being 14 sucks.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Page 1 of 2