First of all, on the picking hand, what do you do with your pinky? On faster parts it seems like I rest it against the guitar, but it feels like a bad idea..

Secondly, I have been playing about 7 months, and I can do two or three scales, pretty much all the open chords, power chords, some barre chords, slow tremolo picking, and the following songs:

Bombtrack- RATM(first; w00t)
Smeels Like Teen Spirit
Time of Dying- Three Days Grace
So Cold- Breaking Benjamin(lead/rhythm)
Topless- Breaking Benjamin(lead/rhythm)
My Curse-Killswitch Engage
Down With the Sickness- Disturbed
Most of Spiders- SOAD(tabbed that mostly by myself)
most of Hit the Floor-Linkin Park
and I am learning currently Enter Sandman and Hypnotize-SOAD(attempting to tab Hypnotize myself)

and a few riffs, like the Holy Diver intro and random stuff

So, how well would you say I am progressing? Also, should I continue like I am or learn more scales and such, or attempt writing my own riffs? Whatever input you have would be appreciated.
I'm not primarily a guitarist, but when I do play faster passages, my pinky does the same thing. It cant be a bad thing, really.
And the thing with the scales (and UG ill hate me for this), but if you move the motion to another position (not including B and E strings), you get another scale. But it is important you remember the notes too.
Good luck and stick with it
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Quote by zcleghern
First of all, on the picking hand, what do you do with your pinky? On faster parts it seems like I rest it against the guitar, but it feels like a bad idea..

That's fine. You can certainly anchor it to your guitar, just be sure not the mute the strings.

Quote by zcleghern
Secondly, I have been playing about 7 months, and I can do two or three scales, pretty much all the open chords, power chords, some barre chords, slow tremolo picking

Well, you should be ABLE to play pretty much any scale, but you obviously only have a couple memorized. Barre chords don't come as easy though, but it should be the same pattern: you should be ABLE to play any chord, buy you may not have many memorized or play smooth transitions.

Quote by zcleghern
Bombtrack- RATM(first; w00t)
Smeels Like Teen Spirit
Time of Dying- Three Days Grace
So Cold- Breaking Benjamin(lead/rhythm)
Topless- Breaking Benjamin(lead/rhythm)
My Curse-Killswitch Engage
Down With the Sickness- Disturbed
Most of Spiders- SOAD(tabbed that mostly by myself)
most of Hit the Floor-Linkin Park
and I am learning currently Enter Sandman and Hypnotize-SOAD(attempting to tab Hypnotize myself)

and a few riffs, like the Holy Diver intro and random stuff

that's a pretty nice list, especially if you can play some/most the whole way through.

Quote by zcleghern
So, how well would you say I am progressing? Also, should I continue like I am or learn more scales and such, or attempt writing my own riffs? Whatever input you have would be appreciated.

You seem to be on a nice track. Learning more scales would be beneficial, especially if you plan on getting into soloing (ESPECIALLY if you want to write your own solos.) So, keep up the effort, keep learning, and try to maintain this pace, you have a great one going.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Your pinky can touch the guitar but DO NOT keep it on one spot and DO NOT rest any weight on it. Thats what you call anchoring. Any form of anchoring is bad.

On progress, other people can't judge the way you progress. It's all about you. Do YOU think you're progressing as well as you should be?

Honestly, don't take it hard if you don't think you're progressing as fast as you should be. You DON'T progress very fast when you play the guitar unless you practice A LOT! At least I don't.

Feel free to PM me any more questions. I'll gladly answer any that I can.
Another thing, make sure you're doing alternate picking. That's really hard to unlearn.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Quote by JesusLives
Another thing, make sure you're doing alternate picking. That's really hard to unlearn.

Oh my, alternate picking is as hard to start doing as it is to stop smoking.
But once it is a natural habit, you will never go down to straight downstrokes again
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Yeah, I had a huge problem with downpicking in my Guitar Hero days(OMG PLAYED guitar hero? what a fag!) but I made sure to break the habit fairly early. Oh and to the other guy, yes the songs listed without any extra comments are 100% of the song(of course not PLAYED perfectly, but you know what I mean) Thanks guys
Quote by zcleghern
Yeah, I had a huge problem with downpicking in my Guitar Hero days(OMG PLAYED guitar hero? what a fag!) but I made sure to break the habit fairly early. Oh and to the other guy, yes the songs listed without any extra comments are 100% of the song(of course not PLAYED perfectly, but you know what I mean) Thanks guys

To be honest, guitar hero is to thank that I started alternate picking and using my pinky.
Lol, I still downpick on Guitar Hero. Speaking of which, I haven't played that in a while...I heard there was a Dragonforce Track Pack
I use it to mute the G,B, and E strings sometimes.
Especially during Laid to Rest.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.