-
-
-
but whats this
-
-
-
thanks for the help
and also i know this could go in tab talk or guitar what ever its called but im kinda in a rush
3 is just the f powerchord with out the fifth, its just up an octive, like playing 2 f's
x
Quote by AgentWiggles
Thanks, douche.

Quote by SlayingDragons
Dude...

Gear:
Ibanez SZ 520QM
Ibanez RG 450DXB
Fender Big Apple Stratocaster
Pod XT Live
Peavey XXX Half Stack
Peavey Bandit 112
and a soul of Rock n' Roll
Quote by TheSmashing
sup UG community
you know how F5 is
-
-
-
then what is this this is an octave you are playing 2 F's
-
-
-
-X
and also i know this is a D5
-
-
-
but whats this D5 that is a Db/C# A D or D A C# 1 5 7 DMAJ7/C# which means DMAJ7 in the third inversion
-
-
-
thanks for the help
and also i know this could go in tab talk or guitar what ever its called but im kinda in a rush

hope that helps

EDIT is the third inversion right? anyregulars correcting me or telling me it's right would be great
song stuck in my head today

Last edited by lbc_sublime at Sep 10, 2008,
the 1x3xxx is just an octave. You're playing two F notes.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by lbc_sublime
hope that helps

EDIT is the third inversion right? anyregulars correcting me or telling me it's right would be great

Everything you said is wrong. I'm sorry.

|
|
|
|x

That's an octave. Specifically, an F octave. It's two F notes.

|
|
|

That's Ab/G#5

A powerchord is a root, a fifth, and then an octave
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
A powerchord is a root, a fifth, and then an octave
The extra octave is not necessary and it is not uncommon to put the 5th in the bass of A-string powerchords.

There are a bunch of ways to play powerchords.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Everything you said is wrong. I'm sorry.

|
|
|

That's Ab/G#5

Have another look Virus it's
|x
|x
|x

You could call that all sorts of things if you really wanted to - an inverted DMaj7 without the third, an inverted Aadd11 no5, or a C#suspended b2 second chord with a sharp 5 C#susb2(#5).

In the right context it could be easier to describe it as D5 with a Db bass - D5/Db. Personally I would opt for an A4 with a Db bass -> A4/Db.
To my simple way of thinking this is the most descriptive of what is happening in that voicing of the chord and it would be fairly easy to work out how to play it from the name alone.
Si
In my opinion octaves sound better around

X
5 and up the neck toward the pick ups.
Whatever you call it, if you move it down two frets (and possibly add the second string) you get the chord used in the chorus of Number of the Beast.

There's a nice segment in the Classic Album series which shows a closeup of Adrian blasting away at this, all by himself.

edit: I'm talking about the second shape under discussion, the mystery chord, not the F octave
Quote by 20Tigers
Have another look Virus it's
|x
|x
|x

You could call that all sorts of things if you really wanted to - an inverted DMaj7 without the third, an inverted Aadd11 no5, or a C#suspended b2 second chord with a sharp 5 C#susb2(#5).

In the right context it could be easier to describe it as D5 with a Db bass - D5/Db. Personally I would opt for an A4 with a Db bass -> A4/Db.
To my simple way of thinking this is the most descriptive of what is happening in that voicing of the chord and it would be fairly easy to work out how to play it from the name alone.

That's my bad.

However, because there's no 3rd, there is no tonality. From that little bit alone, you couldn't infer a tonality either. There are only two notes there as well, which isn't even a full triad. It's an interval and nothing more.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
That's my bad.

However, because there's no 3rd, there is no tonality. From that little bit alone, you couldn't infer a tonality either. There are only two notes there as well, which isn't even a full triad. It's an interval and nothing more.

i still think you need to take a closer look

and your right

it would be closer to a sus7no4 in the third inversion but there are 3 notes

Or... it has minimal tonality so it's really a D5 with a C# in the bass.
^ agreed

i am just sticking with what i am saying for my example and letting him know there are 3 notes

Quote by Avedas
Or... it has minimal tonality so it's really a D5 with a C# in the bass.

An inverted D5 which makes it an A4. - with a C# bass.

But if the chord directly preceding it was a D5 (with the D bass) then it would be a D5/Db.

EDIT: an A with a C# isn't that a Major 3rd? A first inversion altered A major chord - A(bb5)/C#.
I think we have covered every possible name now. Best one in my opinion still seems A4/C# followed closely by D5/C# (or A4/Db and D5/Db whatever you call the bass note)
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Sep 12, 2008,