as the title says. i would reallt like to explore some funk music, classic and modern. any suggestions?
george clinton and the parliament funkadelic. listen to Dr. funkenstein.

EDIT:

and bootsy collins.
Last edited by 51VH50 at Sep 10, 2008,
Parliament, Funakadelic, War, The Meters, Sly & the Family Stone
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Just about anthing George Clinton related.
And of course, the Family Stone
Brian Eno fans unite!

Quote by BrianApocalypse
I recently had a dream that my dad died and my mum spent the life insurance payout on a new Indian dad, who told me to convert to Judaism, even though people usually change religion in September.
Pre Blood Sugar Sex Magic Red Hot Chili Peppers
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
James Brown
Quote by Beakwithteeth
What a coincidence one time I ****ed your cousin in the eye.
Jamiroquai..
Quote by MyNameIsLame
Marijuana makes everything better. Everything.

Quote by TooFast
Yeah. Nazi's FTW.
Not RHCP. Look up The Funky Meters. Also jazz-funk is good, check out Medeski, Martin (Scofield) and Wood, Stanton Moore, Galactic, Robert Walter and Charlie Hunter for some good stuff.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
Herbie Hancock's album Headhunters (the cover is srvflood's avatar), select Stevie Wonder tracks like Superstition, Higher Ground (and it's not an RHCP cover, Stevie did it first), I Wish, although he was much more versatile then that, so if you buy a whole album, there will only be a couple funk tracks, but you should pick up a Stevie album anyway because he's so damn amazing. Try Talking Book or Innervisions.

Curtis Mayfield also has some funk in him. Get the Curtis/Live! album, it's full of awesome.
James Brown owns!
and no unless youre listening directly to Flea's bass lines most RHCP isnt a good pick for straight funk. George Clinton ofcourse. Funk Brothers, Boosty Collins, Sly, alot of Black Eyed Peas is heavy in funk. Stevie Wonder, Boogie On Reggae Woman is greatly underappreciated. and look up Victor Wooten aka the greatest bassist EVER, and I stand by that. If you want to be blown away, check out 'Wootens Battle' on youtube. theres more but those are probly the easiet to get into.

and no sh*t Higher Ground isnt an RHCP cover. Anthony mentions Stevie by name at the end of the track.
Quote by ohhey9040
Oh. You'd be surpirised how many people don't know that.

Thats makes sad. Almost as sad as when people credit Behind Blue Eyes to Limp Bizkit.

And I need to rephrase my statement about RHCP. You really just need to know what youre looking for. They did a cover of Dr Funkenstein thats admirable, its what got me to try listening to classic funk really. Some newer songs like Charlie and Warlocks definitly have some afro influence. Older tracks like My Lovely Man.
And kind of a tangent but The Uplift Mofo Party Plan, is not only probably their most straight-foward rockin records, it also has some of their most funk heavy tracks. Its straight p-funk. No Chump Love Sucker and The Love Trilogy are prime, as is the bridge in Fight Like A Brave. (One of my favorite albumns of all time)
along with what people have already mentioned, check out lettuce, aquarium rescue unit, Will Bernard and Motherbug, Scott Henderson and Tribal tech has a lot of funk elements but theyre really fusiony too. Keller Williams has some really funky tunes too. Even though someone has mentioned them, I can't emphasize the importance of the meters enough.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
Last edited by mercedesisbenz at Sep 25, 2008,
what's some good funk that has a lot of guitar in it? i'm getting into that kind of wah funky guitar, with guitar solos.
Funkadelic
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
wahwah used alot more in everything not funk than funk with all the music out now.
Hendrix's Highway Chile along with others. Tom Morello uses wah alot, I mean alot. Killing In the Name's solo comes to mind. Mike McCreedy from Pearl Jam is really good with wah. Evenflow from the Live on Two Legs release is absolutly mind blowing.

But yeah, you can never go wrong with Hendrix.
the meters
tower of power
funkadelic
sly and the family stone
herbie handcocks head hunters is a good jazz funk album
and a SRVFlood said medeski martin and wood is awsome jazz funk you should defentily check them out
cool, thanks for the recommendations. i have a couple funkadelic albums, i've been listening to them a lot again, great stuff.
^^youre fcukin sh*tin me! can you hook me up dude. Ive been tryin to play funk guitar for a while now I just cant get the muting right. ppllllleeeeaaasssee.
well my friend is in Berklee College of Music right now in Boston, and I'm in St. Louis, so I've never met Tomo.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily