Hey guys... I'm David, and if I decide to play the guitar, I'll be using this forum a lot

okay, so i have some questions.

recently i decided to play any of the "guitar" instruments.. but i cant choose which.

i currently play the piano at a professional level (im 14). what i mean is that i actually win competitions. in short, im really good.

so i decided to... get a LIFE. and learn the guitar.

i cant choose what to play though... i gotta play something that wont seriously affect my piano playing.

my choices are:

classical: i really wanna play this, but i heard that u need long fingernails. if taht's true, nope, can't do this (piano requires short nails)

acoustic: I wanna play this too.

bass: All my friends want me to learn this, cuz they need bassists. I mean, theres too much guitarists, arent there? But i heard u get HUGE blisters playing this... ill talk about this later.

electric: good as well

Okay, so money isn't an issue, cuz i saved up 1000.

Can you guys confirm whether or not long fingernails are necessary for classical? cuz if it is so, its off the list. Also, can you name what instruments need long nails, cuz its a no-no.

is bass guitar hard to learn... i mean i guess all instruments are hard to learn, but are huge blisters a normal part of this? if there are huge blisters, can u describe them? i mean... like whether they hurt or not, and how quickly they go away.
not blisters, callouses. they'll hurt for a little while, but no matter what type of guitar you play, you'll get them. all they are is your fingers toughening up. it won't hurt after a while.

as for long nails, you can always get fingerpicks. they're little nail-like things that you put on your finger and pick the strings with.
blisters will turn into hardened skin which basically acts as finger tip armuor and lets you play all merry day long. just tough it out.

i play heavy electric and acoustic. 1000 is good. u dont wanna buy anything amazing since ur starting out. get urself a lil 15w prac amp (roland cube series are very good) and a guitar you like playing. maybe a stratocaster copy since its a versatile guitar and easy to learn on.

not sure about the fingernail thing. i think its preference based. i myself hate having any form of length on my nails. even when fingerpicking
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
If I were you Id start out with an acoustic and go from there. Once you get the hang of that you could go on to electric or even bass.

Long fingernails are a good thing to have for classical guitar, but not outright necessary. Ive got a friend that can play pretty well and he has no fingernails. He usually wears finger picks, or just plays with his fingertips.

I envy you for playing the piano so well. Its always been a dream of mine to play, but I only piddle. Understanding theory for the piano will undoubtedly help you with the guitar.
I did the same transition from a long experience with piano to electric guitar. It shouldn't affect your piano playing too much as long as you keep up on your practice. If you stop piano for too long, it will be very hard to re learn everything. It is worth switching for sure though. Play the instrument you would use to play your favorite songs, whatever they may be.
YaH!!! I played classical piano for about ten years until I made the switch to acoustic. It really helped my piano I think, it gives you a different way to play. But yeah, I'd go with the acoustic first. Classical is really your choice, I think you'd enjoy it, but it has a really high learning curve.
“In my anguish I cried to the LORD, and he answered by setting me free. The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?”
Quote by bigtimmy
i play heavy electric and acoustic. 1000 is good. u dont wanna buy anything amazing since ur starting out. get urself a lil 15w prac amp (roland cube series are very good) and a guitar you like playing. maybe a stratocaster copy since its a versatile guitar and easy to learn on.

what he said, but i find playing with a les paul shape guitar is easier
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
i say classical.
because i guess you can read music and everything well being a piano player.
and fingernails aren't really needed. it just gives you a different tone, i played for a few years without fingernails and wasn't bad, then i switched to electric