I just realized that people get way more pissed off/offended over music than they do over movies. This makes no sense to me. You hear music. You see movies. It is much easier to avoid songs you dislike than it is to see commercials for movies that would offend. IMHO words should not piss you off more than the actual image. People protest death metal n' sh*t all the time, but when Hostel came out. Nothing. Most of those bands you have to go searching for anyway. You have a greater chance of someone actually acting out a Cannibal Corpse song on you (via Philly's hammer-weilding subway madman) than you have of ever unintentionally hearing/understanding what the f*ck they are saying. People just need to leave sh*t alone if they don't like it.
Hostel is tame.. honestly. I really can't give you an explanation for why people seem to be more concerned with censoring music than movies but I do know that many movies have came under extreme criticism... Kids? Cannibal Holocaust? How about Passion of the Christ? Those stirred up some controversy.

Natural Born Killers was cited as being one of the "favorite" movies of Eric and Dylan, the Columbine shooters.

But you're right many albums for decades have caused extreme amounts of controversy. Perhaps more so than that of films.

The Marshall Matthers LP, Nevermind the Bollocks even Beatles albums all made a huge impact. Straight Outta Compton???
why does this matter?
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
True. But most movies that draw protest only do for religious reason, when music gets protested for almost everything.
how come they never play movies backwards to look for messages.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
you just have to get over the fact that there exist people who are intolerant to other people's tastes.
Quote by mh.666
This man is right.

My life in all aspects is going fucking brilliantly, so I just thought I'd offer a cyncial scrap of wisdom, gloat a little, and then leave.
Music is communication, movies are entertainment.

Considerably more movies are based in fantasy, and most music is the opinions and views of the musicians.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Music affects you more than watching a movie. Just try it, pop in a movie before you go to a mosh pit, then compare it to if you were to put in some Death Metal before. Music brings out your emotions a lot more than movies because you have to think about it, interpret it and feel it.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by rabidguitarist
Music is communication, movies are entertainment.

Considerably more movies are based in fantasy, and most music is the opinions and views of the musicians.

Music is entertainment, too. And movies can be used to communicate ideas, such as documentaries and art films. Besides that, even if a movie is based in a Fantasy, like the Wizard of Oz, it still communicates opinions and views.

As for how books are more noble than music... I'm not getting that.
Quote by crackhutch
Music affects you more than watching a movie. Just try it, pop in a movie before you go to a mosh pit, then compare it to if you were to put in some Death Metal before. Music brings out your emotions a lot more than movies because you have to think about it, interpret it and feel it.

Which would explain why movies like E.T., Bambi, and Old Yeller so often make people cry?
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
The other factor is that it takes a lot more money and work to get a film put out at the cinemas- a film that is offensive probably won't get past the pitch.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
The other factor is that it takes a lot more money and work to get a film put out at the cinemas- a film that is offensive probably won't get past the pitch.

yeah but thats no different to music.

the blockbusters will be hyped up and go to the cinemas in much the same a blockbuster album from a well renowned artist will get hyped up and featured on mtv and radio.

Otherwise these obscure movies that dont get past the pitch and albums will receive no hype and not go to cinemas/ play on the radio.

people have picketed plenty of movies in the past.
there is no difference between movies and music
Yeah to reiterate what others have said, movies cause a huge amount of fuss over what they contain. You might not notice it as much because you don't look for it, but you mention cannibal corpse and i reckon most people who have no interest in metal would never have heard of them. Films like Saw, Kidulthood etc caused loads of controversey when they came out
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Music is entertainment, too. And movies can be used to communicate ideas, such as documentaries and art films. Besides that, even if a movie is based in a Fantasy, like the Wizard of Oz, it still communicates opinions and views.

As for how books are more noble than music... I'm not getting that.

Which would explain why movies like E.T., Bambi, and Old Yeller so often make people cry?

Songs make people cry as well, you can't use one emotion to show the wide range of emotions that come out when watching movies/listening to music. Music brings out MORE emotions than just sadness.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
Quote by crackhutch
Songs make people cry as well, you can't use one emotion to show the wide range of emotions that come out when watching movies/listening to music. Music brings out MORE emotions than just sadness.

Are you implying that movies can only bring out sadness? What about fear when someone is watching a particularly horrifying movie? What about joy when the two lovers finally stop letting their differences come between them? Excitement when explosions happen, etc, etc. Also, I don't remember saying music didn't bring out emotion. I just said movies do, too. I don't see how you could say music brings out more emotions than movies. That may be true of you, but not every body.

But the question of the thread was, why don't movies offend people as often as music does. I don't believe that is true. Its just that the majority of the people on this site are musicians, and therefore care more about music than movies. So, we hear about it more because it is in the realm of our interests. For example, the Rocky Horror Picture show has been protested, and so has the Exorcist. You can find plenty of movies that have been. You can hear people complain about the movie's Michael Moore makes because he 'makes up fact.' Well, that is showing that people are offended by Michael Moore's movies. Its the same thing.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.