I first got my guitar on July 4th of this year, and I've never changed the strings. I'm a very casual player though. Seriously, I tend to pick up the guitar when I'm bored.

I think it's time to change the strings.

Also, I was thinking about improving my pickups. They're the factory ones on the guitar from the Spider III pack. Any suggestions? Also, I've never swapped out pickups before, so should I hire someone else to do it?
"Dude, you gotta pull an "Axl Rose" on them.
Tell them it's your band, if they don't like it, they can get in line and kiss your ass." ~pablo_arg
Probably change strings every few months. As far as new pickups go, they won't do much for you. Getting a new amp will help a ton more than new pickups will.
Someone who plays 2 hours a day should change strings every 3-4 weeks. Seeing as how you're a casual player you can go maybe 3-5 months.
Buy Elixir strings whenever you do. They're about 10 dollars but a pair of .11s lasted me 7 months, And I play atleast 3 hours a day. Also, Every time one of my friends came over and played my guitar he'd always think I got new strings, They're great.
before you spend a couple hundred on a pickup swap, make sure you have a good practice amp.

most noticable tone will come from your amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
coated strings last longer, good investment if you don't play them much
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Ulciroa
I first got my guitar on July 4th of this year, and I've never changed the strings. I'm a very casual player though. Seriously, I tend to pick up the guitar when I'm bored.

I think it's time to change the strings.

Also, I was thinking about improving my pickups. They're the factory ones on the guitar from the Spider III pack. Any suggestions? Also, I've never swapped out pickups before, so should I hire someone else to do it?

there is no need for changing strings periodically imo as set of strings usually last for months before it starts rusting. I usually have a set of new strings for backup and do a restring only when I get to feel uncomfortable with it. but my high E tends to snap well before it rust

as for the pickup upgrade question, seriously, a better amp will make you much happier than new pickups can do.. so don't do it unless you have a decent amp already.