a minor 7th i think
Quote by deli_creep

*PEAR*

if i get banned....it was worth it.
F# A E A C E
1 b3 b7 b3 b5 b7

In the context of the chord itself, an F#-7b5, but coming after the previous chord, probably

Amin/F# because the only thing that has a changed in the harmonic structure of the chord is the G - F#.
Last edited by Galvanise69 at Sep 11, 2008,
Ahhh that makes so much sense, thanks!

But wouldn't it it just be Am/F#

Because

F# A E A C E
6 1 5 1 b3 5
Yes. Amin/F# Sorry, I was thinking that the g in the bass wasnt the only b7th in the chord.

Sorry! Should delete these posts for embarrasment!
Out of curiousity what are you playing? Those chords remind me of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You by Led Zep - but they aren't quite the same.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Mikeysharkface
oh yea i suppose it is. thanks

how about this one

A chord that hasn't been mentioned yet is Am6. In this case, the 6 is the root.
Quote by Mikeysharkface
so it can either be Am/F# or Am6?

Yep, as long as you understand why. Although one name may be more suited than the other depending on the context of harmony.
Quote by Mikeysharkface
I think i understand.

In my case it would be an Am/F# because it comes after the Am/G

Ahh, well that Am/G could also be seen as Am7. In this case, the b7 is the root. Tbh I wouldn't get to hung up about it, it's no big deal.
damn there is no definitive answer, ah well at least i know the possibilities now. Thanks for your help
mdc you are quite right they are inverted Am7 and Am6 chords.

But, if I were to see Am7 written I would play one of these
3 0
1 1
2 0
2 2
0 0
x x
If it said Am7/G I would play one of these
3 0
1 1
2 0
2 2
0 0
3 3

If it said Am/G I would play

So though you are absolutely correct, I personally I would label them Am/G and Am/F# (though I think I heard somewhere that when you descend chromatically correct spelling of accidentals would be to use the b? So if you're in Am maybe where F#/Gb is not a diatonic note it should be Am/G and Am/Gb? since you're descending?).

Either way when I think about naming chords I think of possible names and then look at each possibility and think "now how would I play that if I saw it written on a piece of paper."

Anyway that's just my two cents and not really anything to lose sleep over.
Si
Last edited by 20Tigers at Sep 12, 2008,
As far as I see it, Amin6, and Amin/F# both work for

Though Amin/F# actually gives you direct insight as to where the 6th is placed in the chord. However it you called Amin6 the F# could be positioned anywhere.