I understand what I need, but what other gear can really improve a mix? How much should I look to spend if I want to get good quality recording gear to produce my own EP's?
You should look into the world of plugins. You'll be surprised what a high quality collection of them will do. Compressors will even out your sound, limiters will make sure it stays loud, mastering ones can add polish, and EQ can completely change a mix. The best part is, you won't need too much extra equipment, if any. A good set of plugins and software (Cubase, Ableton Live, Wavelab, Audition) combined with a good interface (or preamp + AD/DA converter / soundcard) and accurate monitors should help you produce high quality CDs.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Quote by Fast_Fingers
and accurate monitors should help you produce high quality CDs.

+1. So often overlooked. Of course, you can't download monitors, so.... maybe that's why. Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by SlappyTheFish
What gear do you already have? A good soundcard will make a world of difference compared to a cheap one.

I don't have any, and the soundcard in my PC is shot, so that's on the list of gear.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
I don't have any, and the soundcard in my PC is shot, so that's on the list of gear.

So what do you have now? An interface can do the same duty as a soundcard...
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

Quote by Fast_Fingers
So what do you have now? An interface can do the same duty as a soundcard...

I have a few microphones that my vocalist more-or-less lets me keep. They're Sennheizers, but as for what model, I haven't a clue. They're decent in terms of sound. They're meant for a voice though (Obviously).

That's about it.
Last edited by VIRUSDETECTED at Sep 14, 2008,
I hope you have atleast 500$ for a good recording. Drum's need atleast 4 mics and inputs. Get a Behringer XENYX firewire mixer with 4 inputs. Now get a pair of overheads, an SM57, and a kick mic.

Suggestions

Overheads:
Samson CO2
Rode NT5
Cascade M39

Kick:
Shure Beta 52
AKG D112

Get a pair of monitors as well. Look into the KRK RP5's or M-audio BX5a. Also look into bass traps, either diy or store bought. Monitors are very important, so if you're going to cheap out on anything, make sure it's not the monitors/room treatment. You need to know what your recordings sound like if you're going to mix them.

Don't forget stands, cables, pop filters. Hit up musiciansfriend for cables and stands in bulk.

The 57 will be good for guitars, vocals (pop filter), snare, just about anything. The overheads are for cymbals, and an overall drum sound. Kick mic obviously is for kick.

PM me for good recording forums that you can lurk.
Good monitors are the most important thing if you want to make semi decent recordings, normal speakers just aren't up to the job.

Ofcourse you'll need to be able to EQ tracks and such properly aswell
Quote by maggot9779

Ofcourse you'll need to be able to EQ tracks and such properly aswell

...which you just can't do without those monitors you mentioned....

Recommend - Yorkville YSM1's.

cT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Well, are you recording acoustic drums, or an entire band, or just yourself?
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
^^^^

I have a budget of 2000, so I think I can do a good room treatment.

Also, I PM'd you.

[Or am about to, depending on when you read this]

That's excellent. About 500$ should go to room treatment, and about 300$ for monitors. I recommend the M-audio BX5a. All monitors are basically the same in this price range, so worry about spending more once you are in the 1000$ range for monitors. Look into DIY room treatment if you have power tools and access to wood and whatnot.

As for the next 1000$

90$ - SM57
150$ - Beta 52 or Audix D6
300$ - Rode NT5's or Studio Projects C4s
100$ - 20 Cables
100$ - 6 Stands

Try to go all used except for the stands and cables.

The rest can go for the interface of your choice. (I'd recommend an FP10 or Alesis IO14)

This will get you good recordings, but it will require a lot of practice and learning. The mixing will take the longest to learn. Start hitting up the forums that I'm about to PM you.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
Well, are you recording acoustic drums, or an entire band, or just yourself?

A keyboard, two guitars, one bass, one vocal PA, and drums.
Quote by llanafreak44
You don't record PA's, you just put every vocal into a separate track.

+1
Llana has put out solid advice. A good idea is to do separate the instruments into groups then combine them through software...bass and drums first, then add in the keyboards and guitars, finally the vocals. The FP10 ($360 here) he/she mentioned is more than suitable for the job.

As for cables, you'll have to try here in order to find anything close to $5 a pop. You will need:

2 1/4-1/4 cables to connect the monitors (KRK's also a solid brand)
3 XLRs for drums (overheads+kick)
2 1/4-1/4 for the keyboard
3 XLRs for the guitars/bass

Of course, you should have some redundancy (ie, more cables) in case something acts up.

I recommend getting two Sennheiser MD421 or Electrovoice RE20s instead of separate kick and vocal microphones. This assumes you are doing it in the order I mentioned above (so bass+kick drum, then guitar amps, then vocals). They can handle the high sound levels, and through the proximity effect can be incredibly rich yet not muddy in the low end. SM57s, though great, just sound plain in the end. Try getting them used or off ebay.
Quote by keiron_d

Quote by llanafreak44
You don't record PA's, you just put every vocal into a separate track.

Ah, alright. So I'd just record it right in?

Also, thanks for all the advice guys. Anymore is appreciated.
Yes, you plug the mic in, set the gain level, and vocal your day away! Any more questions?

Fast_Fingers: He.
Last edited by llanafreak44 at Sep 15, 2008,
Quote by llanafreak44
Yes, you plug the mic in, set the gain level, and vocal your day away! Any more questions?

Fast_Fingers: He.

Any ideas on what I would need to get to acoustically treat the room I'm in?
Look into the Line 6 Toneport series... They are amazing as they produce close to studio quality sounds and they come with a load of great amp models and effects.
Signed.
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
Any ideas on what I would need to get to acoustically treat the room I'm in?

A lot of bass traps is definitely what you need. You can DIY it or buy some. Also get an 18 pack of diffusers and absorbers. You should be covering 30-50% of your walls with treatment.
The best site for that on the net is:

www.johnlsayers.com

None of the others even come close. The guy who runs the site builds million-dollar studios.

CT