hey guys, i was wondering if it is worth getting a floating trem on a new guitar...so i was wondering about advantages and disadvantages with em...what are some of your experiences?

peace
Quote by EvilDomo
They say Heath Ledger was a heartthrob...

Apparently, his heart stopped throbbing
You can do pretty much any whammy trick with a floyd and not have it go out of tune. With a standard you cant do much more than a little vibrato and with a hard tail you can't do anything. It's all preference.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
My standard strat has the best of both worlds imo.

vintage non-locking synch trem.

you can bend up and down but won't have string change/change tuning issues. It also keeps in tune very well with my stock strat. It won't bend as far tho as a FR or OFR bridge. Something else to look for depending on what type of guitar you are after.
Isn't this the wrong forum for this though? Shouldn't this go in the electric guitar forum?

Anyways, I have both, and i love the fact that tuning is less of an issue with a hardtail, while a floyd rose does give some nice special effect capabilites, but they get old fast.
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite
floyd
advantages:
wont go out of tune
whammy tricks
reuse strings

disadvantages:
If its not set up perfect the advatages dont work
cant change tunings
hard to set up
cant change string gauge without setting it up again
less sustain

TG
Fighting for peace, is like screwing for virginity

Screw you Waldo, go find yourself!!!!
Hey Tamarago, just would like to clear something up.

A floyd can easily detune, it just depends whether you've got a good quality one or one of the low budget floyds. Mine goes constantly out of tune which is rather annoying.

I'm not flaming you or anything, all your points are extremely valid! Just thought i would add this
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie
Hey Tamarago, just would like to clear something up.

A floyd can easily detune, it just depends whether you've got a good quality one or one of the low budget floyds. Mine goes constantly out of tune which is rather annoying.

I'm not flaming you or anything, all your points are extremely valid! Just thought i would add this

Yeah I've actually heard that, my friend has a OFR and he can change to drop D if he does it quick, im not sure but i think a slight change is acceptable, but its not like you can change from standard to open A or something

TG

Quote by tamargoguitar
Yeah I've actually heard that, my friend has a OFR and he can change to drop D if he does it quick, im not sure but i think a slight change is acceptable, but its not like you can change from standard to open A or something

TG

Haha yeah that's exactly it. With my band I play in dropped D, so it's fine to just change that string every now and then, but i would never think about dropping every string, it would end up in a mess!
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
Quote by bluezombie
Haha yeah that's exactly it. With my band I play in dropped D, so it's fine to just change that string every now and then, but i would never think about dropping every string, it would end up in a mess!

want to hear mess??? i was in this battle of the bands kind of thing, and the guitar player of one of the bands was playing a jackson dinky and his high E string broke when he was tuning, so the other guitarrist says whatever you dont use that string anyway just tune the other 5, so he went ahead and did that... I'll leave the rest to your inmagination

TG

Last edited by tamargoguitar at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by bluezombie
Isn't this the wrong forum for this though? Shouldn't this go in the electric guitar forum?

technically it should but if you have spent anytime over thar recently you can see that it is a mad house. It's like the pit it tell ya. Wilkinson makes nice bridges!
Well generally guitars with floyds its hard to switch between tunings, theyre good if you only want one tuning because of the locking tuners, locking nut, etc. Floyds are also fairly difficult to restring if you dont know how to do it. I personally like the floyd because with all the things you can do with it I think its worth the trouble you have to go through to have one.
Ibanez RG7321
Jackson Randy Rhoads V with Floyd Rose
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech RP70 Guitar Processor
Quote by tamargoguitar
want to hear mess??? i was in this battle of the bands kind of thing, and the guitar player of one of the bands was playing a jackson dinky and his high E string broke when he was tuning, so the other guitarrist says whatever you dont use that string anyway just tune the other 5, so he went ahead and did that... I'll leave the rest to your inmagination

TG

Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
?? Samick Bass
cheers guys 4 all this, i have a guitar with a standard bridge on it already but think im ready to knock it up a notch, if thats the right phrase...im aware of the single tuning you have to stick with and thats kewl with me but was wondering about any BAD stories or experiences you've had with eithe of the three..peace...and sorry if it is the wrong thread, i've only jus started using my account...epic fail i know
Quote by EvilDomo
They say Heath Ledger was a heartthrob...

Apparently, his heart stopped throbbing
I was shit scared of floyd's a few months ago and never wanted to deal with one ever again. The other day my g string broke and that set of strings had been on for 9 months because I was to scared to even attempt to change it.
My mate and I watched a youtube video on how to change strings and followed it *we didn't have anything to black the trem with* I bought 12's and the guitar originally had 9's. Long story short we failed.... epiclly and I wasted $10 on strings.
We tried it again and followed the same video except this time i bought 10's and we did it in ... 3 hours. Only because we took it all apart and had to put it back together + we didn't have a string winder.

After 2 - 3 string changes done by yourself you will no longer be scared of floyds and will wonder why you ever were.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD