So, I've decided on my next amp, an Allen Old Flame. A nice American-voiced amp for my SRV and such. After that, I wish to upgrade my Peavey Classic 50, a British-voiced amp. I'm thinking around $1500 and wish to do things from Cream to Guns N' Roses.

I was thinking about Orange AD30's, Blackstar Artisans, and Budda Superdrives, but which ones would be right for me?
orange rocker 30?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by danyellenik
orange rocker 30?

After reading more about and a s'more sound clips, I'm also considering this.

Edit: I'm still thinking the AD30 would be better however.
Last edited by Iceman 420 at Sep 11, 2008,
I'd go for a Splawn!
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
If you're looking at heads, please tell me that you have enough money to spend on a decent cab as well.
Quote by al112987
If you're looking at heads, please tell me that you have enough money to spend on a decent cab as well.

I was looking at the heads and combos really. It just depends on whether I can save up enough money for either a good combo or a good head AND a good cab.

MESAexplorer: I looked at Splawns, but I thought they were a bit too high gain for some nice blues. I was looking at the Competition btw.
Why not look at Ceriatone?

Their Marshall JTM45 or 18 watt clone may be up your alley.
Quote by Iceman 420
I was thinking of the Orange cabs.

MESAexplorer: I looked at Splawns, but I thought they were a bit too high gain for some nice blues. I was looking at the Competition btw.

I would look at the Superstock. It's basically a Plexi. The quickrod would be the go to amp though. The competition is the drive channel on the quickrod. When using this amp I've had people comment that it sounds like Gilmour, Jimmy Page, or Jimi Hendrix on the low to medium gain settings, higher gain sounds more like yngwie or metallica.

Going with Splawn is basically like owning a ferarri. It has enough power to outperform most anything out there, yet it can be run softly and still perform amazingly. Except Ferarri's are bad on gas, while splawns burn tubes at the same rate as every other amp.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by al112987
Why not look at Ceriatone?

Their Marshall JTM45 or 18 watt clone may be up your alley.

Yeah, I was looking at the 18 watt a while back, but I just wanted more opinions.
Quote by MESAexplorer
I would look at the Superstock. It's basically a Plexi. The quickrod would be the go to amp though. The competition is the drive channel on the quickrod. When using this amp I've had people comment that it sounds like Gilmour, Jimmy Page, or Jimi Hendrix on the low to medium gain settings, higher gain sounds more like yngwie or metallica.

Going with Splawn is basically like owning a ferarri. It has enough power to outperform most anything out there, yet it can be run softly and still perform amazingly. Except Ferarri's are bad on gas, while splawns burn tubes at the same rate as every other amp.

Still, all that wattage.
Quote by Iceman 420
Still, all that wattage.

You do have a point. Although they have a 50 watt switch on the back of them, which brings it down quite a bit and they do sound nice at low volumes, but it's when you're trying to get it between too quiet and too loud, such as when it's like no one is home but you don't feel like cranking it.

I don't recommend attenuators, because they're like $300, affect your tone, and don't improve the quality of sound at low volumes really, and burn up your tubes faster. But still then, splawns sound great.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Don't let the Krank name deceive you either, check out a Chadwick. Phenomenal amp for that Plexi drive.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
I'm considering the Splawn Competition at the moment. I'm not exactly looking for cleans and such when it comes to these amps, so I think it seems like it'll be a good fit.
just out of curiosity...

you're 15 years old, and you're about to spend (well) over $3000 on two amps?
I love the youtube vids on this one.

http://www.fargenamps.com/ampminiplex.html
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by al112987
just out of curiosity...

you're 15 years old, and you're about to spend (well) over $3000 on two amps?

Well...I'm 15 and planning on my future rig basically. I have only a few bucks right now, but I'll be able to get a job this year, but I also need some money for Anime Expo and stuff, so the amp(s) aren't really top priority for me at the moment.

And scott and goolz, thanks for those links.
Quote by Iceman 420
Well...I'm 15 and planning on my future rig basically. I have only a few bucks right now, but I'll be able to get a job this year, but I also need some money for Anime Expo and stuff, so the amp(s) aren't really top priority for me at the moment.

lulz, I was going to go to Anime Expo last year.

And Roccaforte is based in Brea, so it's local to you. Doug is a great guy, so I'm sure he'd demo some amps for you if you called. Just be sure to wear some Social Collision Jeans (HCAF joke)

Just for fun- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGxch8TeQwY
I think a Blackstar Artisan is out of your pricerange.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
I've heard nothing but good things about the Metroplous marshall clones. something like that. a lot of people say that they are better than real marshalls
Stage Rig

Fender Strat
Epi Les Paul
Taylor 110
Boss TU-2
Omega Amps Hot Rod Deluxe (Dumble mod)
Clean/Drive/More Drive footswitch
Mid boost/Preamp boost footswitch

myspace.com/rosscooperband
Al, he's 15 and he's getting great gear! I wish I knew about Allen and Ceriatones when I was 15!

Ok Iceman, I'll try to help you out:

The Orange amps are tricky. The sound great, but not at low volume. They sound ok, but if you want classic rock sound at low volume, you could go with:

A Laney lionheart combo: I played one and loved it. It's a classic rock amp, no more than that, though. They have a 5 watt combo and a 20 watt combo.

Orange Tiny Terror: I love these. Perfect for classic rock/ hard rock.

Ceriatone 18 watter: You can get them pre-assembled. A bit expensive, but worth it. They can also be ordered with a master volume.

But, most importantly, look around and see what's available to you. Try to play all the ones you can get your hands on before you choose!
Quote by imgooley
lulz, I was going to go to Anime Expo last year.

And Roccaforte is based in Brea, so it's local to you. Doug is a great guy, so I'm sure he'd demo some amps for you if you called. Just be sure to wear some Social Collision Jeans (HCAF joke)

Just for fun- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGxch8TeQwY

I took a look at those amps and they seem pretty fine. I'll try and make the time and head to Brea sometime.

Quote by DerekTheDominoe
Al, he's 15 and he's getting great gear! I wish I knew about Allen and Ceriatones when I was 15!

Ok Iceman, I'll try to help you out:

The Orange amps are tricky. The sound great, but not at low volume. They sound ok, but if you want classic rock sound at low volume, you could go with:

A Laney lionheart combo: I played one and loved it. It's a classic rock amp, no more than that, though. They have a 5 watt combo and a 20 watt combo.

Orange Tiny Terror: I love these. Perfect for classic rock/ hard rock.

Ceriatone 18 watter: You can get them pre-assembled. A bit expensive, but worth it. They can also be ordered with a master volume.

But, most importantly, look around and see what's available to you. Try to play all the ones you can get your hands on before you choose!

I played the Laney and I liked it, but considering that I'm not in the UK, I'm pretty sure that's it not the best value for me.

I considered the Tiny Terror, but I heard that it was more Vox-y than Marshall-y. As for the Ceriatone, I'm still thinking about that.

Still, the Budda Superdrive 30 is one I've had my eye on for a bit. Any word about that?
Quote by Iceman 420
I took a look at those amps and they seem pretty fine. I'll try and make the time and head to Brea sometime.

I played the Laney and I liked it, but considering that I'm not in the UK, I'm pretty sure that's it not the best value for me.

I considered the Tiny Terror, but I heard that it was more Vox-y than Marshall-y. As for the Ceriatone, I'm still thinking about that.

Still, the Budda Superdrive 30 is one I've had my eye on for a bit. Any word about that?

No, the TT is very Marshall-y. The ad30 is the vox-y model.

I've never had the pleasure of playing a super drive, but I've heard great things about them.
Quote by DerekTheDominoe
No, the TT is very Marshall-y. The ad30 is the vox-y model.

To me, an orange sounds like an orange, that sounds like an orange. Not Marshally, not voxy, but Orangey.

IDK, I haven't played one any higher than really really low.
I'm surprised nobody mentioned as Marshall Bluesbreaker. The reissues aren't as amazing as the originals, but they're by no means a bad amp.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
I'm surprised nobody mentioned as Marshall Bluesbreaker. The reissues aren't as amazing as the originals, but they're by no means a bad amp.

I see the bluesbreaker as a totally different amp. Not a bad one, but also not a correct copy of the original.

They do sound amazing, though
Quote by VoodooCow229

I considered a Ceriatone JTM45 in the beginning, then decided that was too loud and thought about the 18 watt.

Just hit with your best shot people. I mean, I'm not gonna be getting this thing for at least a year, so that's plenty of time for me to look around and try things out.
I still say Roccaforte. Great amps from a great guy.

Matamp is also another great amp company to look at. The US version is Electric Matamp/Electric amps. EL34 power with an insane growl that just screams.
Quote by imgooley
I still say Roccaforte. Great amps from a great guy.

Matamp is also another great amp company to look at. The US version is Electric Matamp/Electric amps. EL34 power with an insane growl that just screams.

Yeah, the idea of a Roccaforte Custom 18 on a 2x12 is looking pretty good right about now.

But I'll be sure to check out Matamp as well.
Quote by VoodooCow229

Seems to be the best Marshall reissue. I have it and it really sounds amazing (especially at high volumes). My friend has a 1973 JMP and the first thing he asked me when he looked at it was "wanna trade?", he told me he was joking but he was sure as hell really impressed by it.
He could also not believe that a combo could be so loud (he has been living in the rock world where the only thing people use are Marshall stacks)
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by LP51122
I've heard nothing but good things about the Metroplous marshall clones. something like that. a lot of people say that they are better than real marshalls

They're better than Marshall reissues, but whether they're better than the real original plexis are a matter of subjectivity. They are pretty much exact replicas though in terms of sound.

Unfortunately, the Metropoulos Bluesbreaker is about $1000 out of the TS's budget.
^he could always save moar
Quote by imgooley
^he could always save moar

I could...but I'm not exactly thrilled with the idea of saving up this amount of money in the first place, so, yeah. Even the Roccaforte rig would set me back 'bout $2200.
Look into budda superdrives.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by darkarbiter7
Look into budda superdrives.

Yeah, I'm considering a Budda Superdrive 30 at the moment as well.
get a superdrive!!! i've played one, and oh man, it was sweet! it had such a great, roaring tone, and i really want one as well. hands down the best amp i've played!
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
Quote by Iceman 420

same here... I'd look into Metropolus, ceriatone, splawn competition 50...
Quote by Iceman 420

uM ANIME EXPO is months away you'll have plenty of time to buy an amp and still have cash for the expo if you work AND do odd jobs for family.
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Bad Cat anybody?? Cool stuff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
Bad Cat anybody?? Cool stuff.

Bad Cats are cool.

So are Dr. Z's.