Page 1 of 2
So, supposedly this happened at my school:

The disciplinarian and the principal went into a few classes (I wasn't in the class, this is from friends' accounts) holding this "device", which was all anyone could determine it was, no one got a good look at it.

Apparently with said "device" they found out that someone was using their phone in the class and made everyone turn out their pockets.

The rule is that phones are to be off in ur locker or not in school, period. Everyone keeps their phones on them though for various reasons. Alot of people text, I usually don't text that much but I like to have it one me just incase, you know? If shit hits the fan and someone the school pissed off comes in with a sawed-off shotgun and starts merkin people, i'd like to be able to have my phone.

Anyway, when they told everyone to turn out their pockets, they got 15 phones in one class, and 12 phones in another class. When they take your fone, you get a detention, so yeh you don't want your phone taken.

Is there any such device that could pickup phone signals like that? Is it legal (probably, since we're not supposed to have them in school)?

Some of us think its the bluetooth feature, that most people have it turned on and thats the way the pick up the signals but i dont know...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr - is there such a "device" that can detect phones/ pick up phone signals?

EDIT: Changed the spellings, sorry about that, was in a rush and trying to type it all quickly.
Last edited by jumi1174 at Sep 11, 2008,
It probably exists, but in reality it was probably a TV remote with a few LEDs and some tin foil, and they know that everyone has a cell phone so they faked you all out. Also, please don't spell 'phone' like that any more, it hurts my head.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Sounds to me like this 'device' was just a way to get everyone to turn out their pockets. They probably guessed that people had their phones so just made up an excuse to get people to turn out their pockets.

As for if such a device exists... Well whenever you send or receive a message or take or make a phone call, any nearby speakers will make that funny noise. That is because the signals the phone is sending are picked up by the speakers. So theoretically it would be possible to make a 'device' that picks up those signals. However I would assume that it would only work if someone was sending/receiving messages or ringing someone. Bluetooth I'd have no clue, I don't really know anything about Bluetooth.
sig goes here
Quote by jumi1174
So, supposedly this happened at my school:

The disciplinarian and the principal went into a few classes (I wasn't in the class, this is from friends' accounts) holding this "device", which was all anyone could determine it was, no one got a good look at it.

Apparently with said "device" they found out that someone was using their fone in the class and made everyone turn out their pockets.

The rule is that fones are to be off in ur locker or not in school, period. Everyone keeps their fones on them though for various reasons. Alot of people text, I usually don't text that much but I like to have it one me just incase, you know? If shit hits the fan and someone the school pissed off comes in with a sawed-off shotgun and starts merkin people, i'd like to be able to have my fone.

Anyway, when they told everyone to turn ou their pockets, they got 15 fones in one class, and 12 fones in another class. When they take your fone, you get a detention, so yeh you don't want your fone taken.

Is there any such device that could pickup fone signals like that? Is it legal (probably, since we're not supposed to have them in school)?

Some of us think its the bluetooth feature, that most people have it turned on and thats the way the pick up the signals but i dont know...

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

tl;dr - is there such a "device" that can detect fones/ pick up fone signals?

it's phone dude, not "fone"

Quote by Unourrit01
::waits for comments on spelling::

happy now?
Quote by Vagabond21
Ewww the searchbar is a slut, it gets used everyday...

Quote by tremeloud

The brain says "hey, lets be friends" and the dick says "hey, lets get those clothes off, eh?"

Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Yeaaaaaah, Huuuuuhuuuu, Saaaaaaah and MASTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR are all Hetfield memes.
Quote by cfhwarhead
You just FOWNED the TS

Total phownage.

Quote by jumi1174
Ha, wow I didn't think anyone would care about 'fone' in place of 'phone'...

I was in a rush when I was typing, now quit your bitchin.

You had enough time to type with proper grammar, but you couldn't take the .13 seconds to type ph instead of f?
Last edited by InvaderTSN at Sep 11, 2008,
Disciplinarian? Wow, old school...
Probably bogus, why spend money when there's inevitably somebody in the class with a phone? If they ever say that somebody in the room has a phone and nobody has their phone on them you'll know (though they'll probably just say it was the teacher's phone or something). Bluetooth seems likely if it is legit, but honestly I don't know.
Quote by cfhwarhead
You just FOWNED the TS

Or should that be FROHNED?!?!?!
sig goes here
Quote by jumi1174
Ha, wow I didn't think anyone would care about 'fone' in place of 'phone'

Welcome to UG
I decided I want to be more like the people on ug...

Searchbar!!!

That oughta do it.

Time for a supercool guitar demonstration by herman li,

Herman Li- why is this guitar so big?

Stage guy- because its a bass herman

Quote by jumi1174
If shit hits the fan and someone the school pissed off comes in with a sawed-off shotgun and starts merkin people, i'd like to be able to have my phone.

I'm pretty sure thats one of the reasons they dont want you to have a cell phone on you. As for the "device", I think I call bullshit.
Quote by jumi1174
Ha, wow I didn't think anyone would care about 'fone' in place of 'phone'...

I was in a rush when I was typing, now quit your bitchin.

sssssssss, yeah......that's not how it works. sorry.

obviously, what you described is not a technological impossibility. the device itself doesn't really sound that far fetched at all. you (not UG) need to determine whether or not your own school actually cares enough about such a ridiculously pointless policy to go through such lengths to enforce it. i'm thinking no...

My mind is going. I can feel it.
thats such bullshit. they cannot take a peice of your private property just for having it on you, if they dont pay for my phone bill then they arent getting my phone period. Its mine, and the school can fight me on that as much as they want.

luckily my school restricted their phone policy. You are allowed to use them in the hall ways inbetween class via text or phone call, just cant use them inside the class room. It used to be they HAD to be turned off and in your bookbag during school hours (which no one did)
Cell phone detectors do exist, they use them when I have exams.
They only pick up the frequency that phones use to communicate with the network (ie the one that phone calls, messages and wap use) they don't pick up bluetooth or wifi.

I would recommend dumping it in your bag in flight mode or something so that if you're asked to turn out your pockets they don't find it.
MaKing thE possiBlE...
...totaLlY impossible
Quote by MTVget0FFtheAIR
sssssssss, yeah......that's not how it works. sorry.

obviously, what you described is not a technological impossibility. the device itself doesn't really sound that far fetched at all. you (not UG) need to determine whether or not your own school actually cares enough about such a ridiculously pointless policy to go through such lengths to enforce it. i'm thinking no...

Trust me they do care. It's a private school. Guys must have their hair above the eyebrows, above the ears, and above the collar. Sideburns must be cut to the middle of the ear. There are a lot of gay rules like that...
Ha in NZ its illegal for teachers to search you or your bag so they cant prove shit.
and all you americans think you're free
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Quote by the_man101
thats such bullshit. they cannot take a peice of your private property just for having it on you, if they dont pay for my phone bill then they arent getting my phone period. Its mine, and the school can fight me on that as much as they want.

luckily my school restricted their phone policy. You are allowed to use them in the hall ways inbetween class via text or phone call, just cant use them inside the class room. It used to be they HAD to be turned off and in your bookbag during school hours (which no one did)

He's a minor and thus has minimal rights. In school, you essentially have NO rights except those expressly given by the government and by the school. There are no laws concerning cell phones, and these are not the cops. The school can and will do such things. Happened at my (public) school all the time.
Quote by jumi1174
When they take your fone, you get a detention, so yeh you don't want your phone taken.

Fuck, a detention! But you'd be so rebel!
Quote by jumi1174
Trust me they do care. It's a private school. Guys must have their hair above the eyebrows, above the ears, and above the collar. Sideburns must be cut to the middle of the ear. There are a lot of gay rules like that...

Wow, what a pathetic school.
There were actually rumors last year going around last year that they were going to so something like that. And then I overheard a teacher talking about something like that a couple weeks ago. I dunno, either way i'm not turning my phone off because I never even use it in school...I just like to have it on just incase some wacko decided to shoot everybody down and I can have my phone ready to say goodbyes to my parents without having to wait 20 seconds for it to power up or whatever.

I keep it on for safety reasons, not so I can text.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by BGSM
Wow, what a pathetic school.

Yes and to your first comment: uh, down here it's not good to get detentions...I don't know if that holds the same for you, but yeh. You're not a aWeSoMe ReBeL cause you get detentions...
Well, at my school you can only get a girlfriend from detentions.

We have a system where you multiply the amount of detentions you had this month... (22)

By your age... (22 x 16 = 352)

Then the girl that's offering themselves age subtracted by said number... (16 - 352 = -336)

Then add their weight... (-336 + 59 = -277)

The person with the smallest number gets the girl.
My computer networking teacher had a bunch of keychains that he got as a promotional thing from some company that would detect a wireless connection as well as bluetooth. It was just a little 1"x3" remote thing that had a button on it and it guaged how well of a wireless connection a certain area would have and it also detected bluetooth connections.
Peepee on yo tittays
Quote by BGSM
Then the girl that's offering themselves

Where I'm from, women are not objects.
Quote by sargasm

Well, you're from Calgary...
Quote by sargasm

Chickens are though. Anywhere no matter where ya from. so take the greatest number of chickens from the greatest number of detentions. the man with the most chickens gets girl, because he has the best dowry.

Also, Chicken is damn well tasty.
Quote by sickman411
S-Gsus wept
well there is cellphone detectors, but they can only tell if the phone is on. And you need a computer it can't be hand held. It shows all the frequencies and you have to know which ones are cellphones. It also can't tell if they are being used. My physics teacher has one. He showed everyone by having someone turn their phone on and off and showing us the frequency appear and disappear.
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Quote by jumi1174

The rule is that phones are to be off in ur locker or not in school, period. Everyone keeps their phones on them though for various reasons. Alot of people text, I usually don't text that much but I like to have it one me just incase, you know? If shit hits the fan and someone the school pissed off comes in with a sawed-off shotgun and starts merkin people, i'd like to be able to have my phone.

Only in America..
Quote by Geetar_Axel

Only in America..

or Israel
grok it.

SKREAM!

Listen to jazz, it's good for you...
Woo, just went to your profile and noticed that you have a Laney TF-300.

ME TOO! TWINZ OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In my senior year in high school i remember they tried to make me give them my phone. I straight up said no but the teacher kept telling me to give it to her. Conversation went as such:

"Give me the phone."
"No."
"Give me the phone."
"No."
"Give me the phone."
"No."
"Give me the phone."
"No."
"Give me the phone."
"You're going to have to take it from me if you want it."
"..."

Obviously no teacher would put there hands anywhere near your pockets and therefore genitalia, so she just sent me to the principals office. I went to the pizza place across the street instead and never heard about it again.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Isn't that a form of invasion of privacy?
Just putting it out there.
sincewhen??

Quote by Mannypedraza
Today, me and my gf went to the movies. During, i put my hand down her shorts.
I keep smelling my hand as of now....anything wrong with me?
teh pronz
There probably is something you can do to detect mobile phones. You can find people's mobile phones with your own if you both have Bluetooth and do a 'search' or something. And if you 'named' your phone something, it pins it harder on you hahah. A guy who did a Cyberbullying presentation at our school did a search like that as a demonstration and found a lot of people's phones.
Quote by S-Gsus
Chicken tastes so good.

Alot of "sparkling wiggles" went to my work today

"What kinda chick'n you got"
"Mm gimme 4 of those. Nah 5. and jumbo drink"
"Well WTF wheres the grape soda?"

jk
You wanna know how to make teachers stop taking more disciplinary actions towards the no cell phone ban?
Simple.
Stop txting.
I needz my fone. NAO

Page 1 of 2