Yes, it won't work without an interface.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
You literally cannot do anything with protools without the interface. It controls the input and output.

I recommend you don't get one of those shitty mbox things. I personally use an old school ass digi001. If your ever wondering about the durability of one of those things, it is absolutely indestructible. I've pretty much beat the living shit out of mine, and the thing is so well built, it barely even has any dents. I'm pretty sure it could take a bullet, up to armor peircing.
The gods you worship are Steel
At the altar of Rock N Roll you kneel
A slave who forever Rocks
Is chained in the Devil's locks
AND SLAIN BY THE BLOODY AXE I WHAIL!
I have an Mbox 2 Mini, and I'm very happy!
C4C
Please check out some of my original music and leave me a comment @ SoundCloud
(or in my profile!)

Progressive|Thrash|Math|Metal
yep you must have the proper hardware for the software to even start up

I suggest going with Sonar or Cubase though, Protools is a high priced setup for higher end studios IMO and the lower versions under HD are not worth the price.
Quote by moody07747
yep you must have the proper hardware for the software to even start up

I suggest going with Sonar or Cubase though, Protools is a high priced setup for higher end studios IMO and the lower versions under HD are not worth the price.

i agree with this,
theres no way you need pro-tools at this stage.

check out Cubase and Reaper, far more appropriate for the home recording
Cubase works on a similar premise as ProTools in terms of copy protection and hardware. Whereas PT looks for Digidesign hardware (or M-Powered from M-Audio) in order to start up, Cubase looks for authorization from a USB dongle. Without the dongle, it won't start.

This allows flexibility for chosing any interface you like, and fairly powerful copy protection.

Cubase 4 has been on the market for two years now, and there still isn't a reliable crack for it. There have been a few good attempts, but they've been buggy as all hell. And guess what... with 4.1, they rewrote the dongle driver, which was about six months ago, (requiring a re-write of their cracks) and now with 4.5.... you guessed it.... back to the drawing board for the crackers yet again. hahahahahahahahahaha.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.