I have a couple questions regarding different customizing/modding options on a guitar.

How hard is it to coil tap a pickup?

How do you turn active electronics into passive electronics (for ex. in a Charvel Model 4/6)?

How do you go about switching 3 toggle switches into a 5-way selector (once again, using the Charvel Model 4/6 as an example)... and wouldn't this leave holes from the previous toggle switches being there? (There's 2 of these guitars on ebay with this mod if you wanna take a look as an example).

How much would it cost to get these things done if they can't be done without 'expert' experience?

Thanks in advance!
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
To coil tap a pup it has to be tappable, I think only 4 conductor wire pups can be, so if you have the right pups its simple.

To go to passive you have to change the entire circuit pretty much, pups, value of the pots and use a mono jack (or just the mono connectors on a stereo jack) you also then have to sheild the cavities if they werent already.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Coil tapping requires that one of the coils has a lead coming out from a spot wound earlier than the end so that when it's selected, less windings are used. Coil splitting is when you use just one coil from the two in a humbucker, and that just requires the pickup to have 4 conductors (or the single conductor with tap wire - different from actual coil tap).

Switching from active to passive would require circuitry change like Absent Mind said: pickups, pots, jack (optional).

I've actually modded my strat to have three toggles instead of the 5-way. It gives you two more options that the 5-way doesn't. If you were to switch to a 5-way, you would have to cut out that slot for it. In the case of this guitar, you'll be leaving the holes, at least partially there. Even if you cut the slot across the holes, they'll most likely be wider than the slot for the switch. When I cut the holes for my strat, I cut them into the slot, they were wider so it fit nicely.

I'm not sure how much it would cost to have all that done. The pickups/pot change is easy, as long as you know how to solder. The 5-way switch requires some cutting, but I'd leave the three toggles anyway.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Epiphone 1966 Limited Edition G-400
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
Egnater Tweaker 112 combo
Can you leave the 3 toggles on the Model 6 Charvel and still have a passive circuit?

What pots would need to be changed?
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
You can leave the toggles, yeah. They don't have any effect like a pot would. All the pots would need to be changed from 25K to either 500K or 250K, whichever you prefer.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ
What's the difference between the two and what will they affect?

The Charvel's I've seen have those holes in the guitar filled and made to look like it was never there. How'd they do this?

Thanks for the help so far.
My Gear
ESP LTD MV-100
Crate GT15
Boss DS-1

My Profile

Albert Einstein
1879-1955
500K pots are brighter and 250K pots are warmer. It's all preference as to what you use in your guitar.

With the hole filling, I assume they either plugged it with some wood and glued and painted over, or used some epoxy/glue and wood dust. I may be wrong, I'm just throwing an idea out there.

I'd say keep the toggles, especially since you have a humbucker. With the humbucker, you could have it be like series/off/parallel or series/off/split, giving you even more options than before, provided your humbucker has 4 conductors. You could even put a dpdt switch in place of one and have that in phase/off/out of phase. With three toggles, your possibilities are much higher than the standard 5-way.
Main gear
Guitars
Shine ST420F
Martin DX1K
Amps
1976 Silverface Champ