Hey guys, Just got an idea in my head today of a bolt on acoustic with a fiber glass back.

just wanted to know what you guys think? btw it will have a humbucker 1 vol and 1 tone knob and then a a kill switch so I can do tom Morello acoustics stuff, I know he doesn't use a kill switch on his acoustic stuff, I just want to play the heavy stuff on an acoustic!!!

I will try to draw up a plan this week end, its probably going to be like a les paul body (cut away) with a rounded fiber glass back as I said earlier. I find Jackson necks most comfortable, so I will get my hands on one of those if I can, and try to scallop the frets.

tell me what you guys think of the idea.
Humbucker? Bolt-on?! Killswitch?!?!

It sounds ludicrous. The killswitch won't work acousticaly (incase you didn't know)

A jackson neck. This is a terrible idea. Do not even attempt it.

If you have a fiberglass back then there is no solid material for the neck to screw into.

Read up on guitar building and (only) then can you set about making a guitar.
Worst idea ever.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Quote by supergerbil
Humbucker? Bolt-on?! Killswitch?!?!

It sounds ludicrous. The killswitch won't work acousticaly (incase you didn't know)

A jackson neck. This is a terrible idea. Do not even attempt it.

If you have a fiberglass back then there is no solid material for the neck to screw into.

Read up on guitar building and (only) then can you set about making a guitar.

+1!

(to echo the samee point supergerbil makes)

A killswitch will only kill the signal in the amp you're playing into. You'll still hear sound from the guitar itself......

And yeah, I dunno how you're expecting to use a bolt-on jackson neck with a fiberglass backed acoustic..

Unless you're talking about a semi-hollow made out of fiberglass or something, and have a wood block to screw the neck into or something like that..

I don't know much about fiberglass, but I wouldn't expect it to sound great as an acoustic...
A fiberglass acoustic? Possible. Bolt on neck? Loads of acoustics have these, albeit made of wood. And the killswitch simply will not work, as said above.

But an acoustic with a 'bucker would be feckin' brutal
You couldn't really play heavy stuff very well on an acoustic with a humbucker. Feedback levels would be insane with distortion mmhmm
wow this sounds like a bad idea

and as avia said, I dont think you can put electric guitar pickups in an acoustic, waaay to much microphonic feedback.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
how on earth do you plan on bolting on a jackson neck to the body?

i like your creativeness though
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
ok sorry guys huge lack of explaining... I am new to this so sorry, the kill switch was just for when its plugged in. and you know the sound hole pickups are just like singles or hums most of the time (my mate has a motherbucker one)

and bolting the neck cant be hard the fiber glass will have a flat part were it should fit, remeber its just a concept at the moment so dont take it to seriously
why any explanations? how do you know? im not saying im agreeing or disagreeing but you shold give intelligent reasons
an acoustic guitar gets pretty much all it's sound from vibrations. so fiberglass doesn't seem like it would have good vibrations? (that sounded gay) and i heard that regular acoustic bolt on necks aren't even as good as the dovetails that are in most acoustics.... because they don't vibrate as much or whatever
In your eyes I see the darkness that tourments you, and in your head where it dwells, I'll give you my hand if you reach out and grab it, let's walk away from this hell.
Last edited by shampooboy37 at Sep 12, 2008,
ok, well from my experience of ovation guitars I dont really see a problem with the fiber glass but maybe the bolt on needs to be re thought
oh and sorry I forgot to mention its not just fiber glass It will have a spruce top... sorry for not mentioning it
Ovations aren't fiber glass, they are some poly type deal.

But it's definitely possible. Danelectro made a fiber glass guitar, Jack White from the White Stripes uses one.

A bolt on neck could be simple. If you wrap a block of wood, or some lugs, into the body, it could be sturdy as ever. Of course your top would need plenty of good bracing, so the bridge doesn't warp your spruce top.

But it's definitely possible, and quite possibly it may sound decent. It will definitely be unique, but I think if it's done right, you won't have many problems. If you go with a humbucker, acoustics won't matter a ton, but I suppose you may have some feedback issues in high gain situations.

Most of the guys that posted here are really close minded, and don't seem to knowledgeable about the possibilities at hand. Go for it, just plan before you go about doing anything, it helps a ton!
yea! thank you a lot this is the type of logical message I was looking for and the idea of the wood block for the bolt on has been in my mid for a while I will have to send you guys my designs soon
if you bolt the neck into the body like before you put the back on than it maybe better than having the flat part on the back like you mentioned earlier... is it going to have sides like regular acoustics or like the rounded back like ovations?
Last edited by shampooboy37 at Sep 12, 2008,
i say go for it...but if it works out you HAVE to put pics up...
EDIT even if it doesn't work out i'd like to see it
Yeah. This sounds like a sweet idea. I might build a mini with fiberglass depending how it goes.

Anyway, for your mold, how do you plan on doing that? Making it as smooth as possible is what I would look for, so when the resin sets there isn't a ton of sanding to do.

An idea you may want to entertain is having wooden braces across the bottom, kind of like a boat's ribs.

Sort of like that. I know that fiberglass alone isn't the strongest thing in the world especially once it's pushed in or dented. It kind of loses it's integrity quickly. I think if you minimize the area between the ribs, it will be fairly strong. And look kind of cool!

Do you plan on using the sheets of fiberglass or how are you going to go about doing that?

Anyway, good luck, keep us updated!
Quote by AviaCustom
You couldn't really play heavy stuff very well on an acoustic with a humbucker. Feedback levels would be insane with distortion mmhmm

kurt cobain used an acoustic with a humbucker at mtv unplugged

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()
no probs, I got to look at my funding's first, I cant work till march, im not 16 yet, yes you have to be 16 to work here
my friend makes surfboards so I can use his work shop, im going to make the mold out of sheets of ply wood. then add rounded bits of balsa wood in the gaps of the mold so its rounded, then the guy who builds the boards is going to show me the rest from there.. after we get it out I will sand it to davys locker! other than that I could cut a piece of installation foam to the right size, then cover it with fiber glass