I'm having a little problem here I have an Epiphone Les paul with Dimarzio pickup. My problem is that I can't get enough fast with this guitar like I can play such a songs like canon rock, some gilbert songs, many randy rhoads solos etc. But I'm having difficulties to get really into string skipping and into fast playing, I'm just thinking is it me or is it me with my guitar? Should I get a new guitar? and if I should what brand would you recommend?

-Any useful help is appreciated
鋼の錬金術師
Last edited by Punkismygod at Sep 11, 2008,
Maybe you need to get the action adjusted or something, but I think most of that would come down to your need to practice.
Quote by Jet_Black88
Maybe you need to get the action adjusted or something, but I think most of that would come down to your need to practice.

I play 7 hours a day even more on weekends so I think that it isn't because lack of practice
鋼の錬金術師
You can play all the hours in the day man and still not be able to do it, why don't you try and play it slower and work your speed up. If its still not happening for you then maybe look at getting your action ajusted. Personally I stripped my neck and I feel its much quicker! But I knew guitar wouldn't make any difference! In my opinion!
Quote by Punkismygod
I play 7 hours a day even more on weekends so I think that it isn't because lack of practice

It's not really the quantity of your practices, it's the quality of what you do during those 7 hours. You could possibly play 12 hours a day, but still be a mediocre player after several years. Rather than focusing on the stuff you can't play (i.e. Randy Rhoads solos) you should be working with stuff you can play and stuff you have difficulty with. Your guitar isn't the problem, the way you practice is. How long have you been playing, exactly?
ya I'm working on slow and hitting to faster and faster step by step, maybe it just needs some more practice. But guitar does make some difference u know like I had my first guitar a behringer cheap piece of crap even the solos that weren't that quick but we're really beautiful were really difficult with it. When I got my Les Paul I nailed them down like anything so I'm kinda thinking Am I in the same situation in here?

http://www.thomann.de/fi/epiphone_les_paul_standard_cherry_sunburst.htm This is like my les paul but it's bit older model. That's a standart plus mines only a standart.

Quote by badfish0902
It's not really the quantity of your practices, it's the quality of what you do during those 7 hours. You could possibly play 12 hours a day, but still be a mediocre player after several years. Rather than focusing on the stuff you can't play (i.e. Randy Rhoads solos) you should be working with stuff you can play and stuff you have difficulty with. Your guitar isn't the problem, the way you practice is. How long have you been playing, exactly?

I've been playing bout 2½ years. I know my theory and I know my sound what I want and what I like. I've been training with metronome quite alot recently It has helped me alot but I still have some difficulties playing Paul Gilberts string skippins esspecially I've been practicing song called scarified u all know it right? for about 3-4 weeks and I still can't really nail even the first solo 100% correct it's really pain to practice under a 3 minute song every day for about 3-5 hours. Any tips for practicing it?
鋼の錬金術師
Last edited by Punkismygod at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Punkismygod
I've been playing bout 2½ years. I know my theory and I know my sound what I want and what I like. I've been training with metronome quite alot recently It has helped me alot but I still have some difficulties playing Paul Gilberts string skippins esspecially I've been practicing song called scarified u all know it right? for about 3-4 weeks and I still can't really nail even the first solo 100% correct it's really pain to practice under a 3 minute song every day for about 3-5 hours. Any tips for practicing it?

First and formost, Paul Gilbert is famous for his extremely large stretch and string skipping skills. You aren't exactly playing a simple song, take the first solo and practice it at half time with the metronome, then go up by increments until you can play at his speed. You just gotta break his technique down and take it in small yet managable bites.
That's exactly what I've been trying. I use a guitar pro and nail to play it with half-time and even with 75% of the original rhytmn but with full speed it just sounds like an ass.

But anyway thanks dude you seem like you know what ur talking about
鋼の錬金術師
Quote by Punkismygod
That's exactly what I've been trying. I use a guitar pro and nail to play it with half-time and even with 75% of the original rhytmn but with full speed it just sounds like an ass.

But anyway thanks dude you seem like you know what ur talking about

No problem dude. You could always try to branch off of his patterns and stay in the same progression, but if you prefer playing the true solo just keep hammering away at it. Do a bunch of exercises, practice your scales and sweeping in octaves. Gilbert has a helluva good legato technique, very clean passages so I would recommend starting smaller with a slower player. It seems the song you're playing in is at 150 quarter beats per minute, so starting at 75 and going up in 15 BPM increments would probably work well. Just keep practicing, but when you get frustrated play something you know you can do well and blow off the steam. Then get back to that solo and give it your best shot.