This may need to go in the accessories section but i just came across an ebay listing which had this as part of the description

"The H-S-S pickup arrangement was changed to 2 Kent Armstrong humbuckers. Also added was a 4 position active distortion switch (powered by a 9v battery) between the volume and tone controls."

Just wondering, what is the 4 way active distortion switch and what does it do and suit?

Thanks
Maybe it's like a built-in distortion pedal? Some cheap guitars have that. They usually aren't very good unless it's a good pedal mounted into the guitar. Guitars that come stock with built-in distortion units probably aren't great.
EMG makes 2 built in gain boosts called the "Afterburner" and the "PA2". Kerry King has the Afterburner mounted on his guitar.

the difference between the two is that the Afterburner is a push/pull dial, so you can control it on the fly, the PA2 is a mini toggle wit an internel trim pot, so you can only adjust it with a screwdriver whent your guitar's electronics are exposed.

Quote by sashki
Maybe it's like a built-in distortion pedal? Some cheap guitars have that. They usually aren't very good unless it's a good pedal mounted into the guitar. Guitars that come stock with built-in distortion units probably aren't great.

there are plenty of good guitars with built in boosters/distortion units. many boutique companies will have boost systems put into guitars. a couple of lower end companies have them in guitars too (first act), but they sound terrible beecause they are passive. the EMG boosters are Active, powered by a 9 volt battery.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Thanks for the replies.

Ive been looking for a decent fixed birdge for drop tunings and i saw this listing and wondered. if its just like a kind of gain booster, i think i will go for a guitar with Active EMGs in it anyway.
well, then you're in luck. if you have the Active Pickups in it anyways, the gain boost can work off the same power supply.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.