Hi, I've recently been looking to buy the mxl 990/991 kit and audio buddy package to record fingerstyle guitar. I'm just wondering if i'd lose much quality if i plugged the audio buddy straight into my mic-in port on my laptop? I've got a conexant high definition sound card.

Also i'm new to all this recording stuff, so i just want to make sure ive got this right.
I need to use xlr cables to plug the mics into the preamp, then 1/4 inch cables going from the preamp into an 1/8 inch adapter and then the adapter into the mic in, right?

Thanks, Dave.
You wont get great quality but it will work. You will have some latency though, (delays) which may mess up your playing.
At the very least, get some type of interface....even if its something like the toneport UX1 which has the two inputs at the back which you can run the Audio Buddy into.
The GX is harder to work with but would also work...

Or you can skip the preamp and just get a different interface such as the PreSonus Inspire 1394 which has everything you need to run the MXL mics. The audio buddy isnt all that great anyways so the PreSonus would be a better choice IMO.

The audio buddy has two mono outputs so you would need a Y cable to get that to the stereo line in on your laptop.
If you only have a mic port on the laptop simply run a mono TS cable from the #1 output of the preamp to your mic port.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by moody07747
You wont get great quality but it will work. You will have some latency though, (delays) which may mess up your playing.
At the very least, get some type of interface....even if its something like the toneport UX1 which has the two inputs at the back which you can run the Audio Buddy into.
The GX is harder to work with but would also work...

Or you can skip the preamp and just get a different interface such as the PreSonus Inspire 1394 which has everything you need to run the MXL mics. The audio buddy isnt all that great anyways so the PreSonus would be a better choice IMO.

The audio buddy has two mono outputs so you would need a Y cable to get that to the stereo line in on your laptop.
If you only have a mic port on the laptop simply run a mono TS cable from the #1 output of the preamp to your mic port.

Okay, thanks for the reply. I was just going with the audio buddy because i'm on abit of a budget. The usb and firewire preamps that i've seen are abit out of my budget. Are their any cheaper, older ones about that will do the job?

Edit; Also why wont i get great quality this way? My soundcard supports 24, 96khz signal.
Last edited by Hammy135 at Sep 11, 2008,
Stock sound cards were not made to record. They are mostly made for audio playback using media players. The #1 product to look into is an interface when recording to a computer.

An interface gives true no latency monitoring, proper inputs, preamps, In some cases phantom power, better converters (analog-digital).

If you want a lower cost option you could try running to your stock card but I really dont think it will sound too well...
Either way, the MXL set is nice to have around and will be used no matter what other gear you get.

Welcome to the field of recording...nothing here is cheap.
Quote by moody07747
Stock sound cards were not made to record. They are mostly made for audio playback using media players. The #1 product to look into is an interface when recording to a computer.

An interface gives true no latency monitoring, proper inputs, preamps, In some cases phantom power, better converters (analog-digital).

If you want a lower cost option you could try running to your stock card but I really dont think it will sound too well...
Either way, the MXL set is nice to have around and will be used no matter what other gear you get.

Right oh, thanks for your help. Interface it is then i guess, along with a chunk out of my savings.

Regards, Dave.
Quote by moody07747

So true