I don't know if I'm in the right part of the forum to post this, but I take a shot. I've been playing guitar for a couple of years, mostly acoustic but I have also been using an old cheap J&D-guitar whenever playing with my band.

Soon it's time for a necessary renewal on the guitar front, and I've mainly been looking on to alternatives: A Gibson SG from the Worn & Faded-series and a Gretsch G5235T Pro Jet. They cost about the same price.

Since I'm not an inveterate guitar knower I would very much like your opinions and experiences on which to purchase.

Here's some specifications:

Gibson SG:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SGSCWBCH/

Gretsch Pro Jet:
http://www.zzounds.com/item--GRE2505010
Quote by zzounds
This product is no longer available at zZounds

u might wna get the gretsch from a diff place if u do get the gretsch. IMO, Gibsons in general dont look good with dot inlays, but still, the choice is still there.
SEX!

Now I have your attention, witness the awesomeness that is my sig

Quote by GuitarManDan15
win

Free Dean V To Loving Home
Quote by lefthandman9876
neither, there both sub par

gibson fadeds are nasty and the grestchs are poor quality with crap pickups

look into a tokai, much better

I agree to an extent. The ones I played at Guitar Center the other day were pretty crappy feeling and sounding. Mine, which I bought a few years ago is one of the best playing and sounding SGs I've ever used.

That being said, I have 3 SGs and I want a Les Paul again, so one of them has to go and since my Aria isn't worth much, and I just got the Standard, the Faded has to go
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ginjaninja
what genres do you play?

That varies, but usually I keep to different kinds of pop and rock, everything from Pink Floyd and Radiohead to Elliott Smith and such. I mainly strave for a clean sound, with the ability to get a bit of attitude in it when playing rock.

Quote by lefthandman9876
neither, there both sub par

gibson fadeds are nasty and the grestchs are poor quality with crap pickups

look into a tokai, much better

I live in Sweden, so unless I wanna import i got to keep to the basic stuff. And cheap stuff too, I can't afford a real Gibson SG

Quote by _InsanitY_
u might wna get the gretsch from a diff place if u do get the gretsch. IMO, Gibsons in general dont look good with dot inlays, but still, the choice is still there.

I'm going to buy the guitar from a Swedish store, I just wanted to find the specifications in English. And I don't mind the inlays that much, I just want to know wheater they're alright playing on

Quote by MatrixClaw
I agree to an extent. The ones I played at Guitar Center the other day were pretty crappy feeling and sounding. Mine, which I bought a few years ago is one of the best playing and sounding SGs I've ever used.

That being said, I have 3 SGs and I want a Les Paul again, so one of them has to go and since my Aria isn't worth much, and I just got the Standard, the Faded has to go

Okey

But would you say the faded is worth the money compared to other guitars in the same price class?
Quote by Ekolod
But would you say the faded is worth the money compared to other guitars in the same price class?

You weren't asking me, but: hell no.

Between the 2, I'd go for the Gretsch. But I'd look into other brands and models (mostly Epiphone and Ibanez) more readily before either of those.
id take the grestch, but then again that suits my needs well
GUITAR: Gibson Les Paul Special
AMP:Fender Vibro Champ XD
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
USMC
Quote by Ekolod
Okey

For the price they are new, probably not. But for the price they are used, yes as long as it's not a crappy one like the ones I've played at GC recently.

I PM'd you
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by ShaunDiel
get both n ur gon b lyke anguz n malcom yung

BRILLIANT *lights self on fire*
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Flying Couch
You weren't asking me, but: hell no.

Between the 2, I'd go for the Gretsch. But I'd look into other brands and models (mostly Epiphone and Ibanez) more readily before either of those.

I'm not that into Epiphone and Ibanez, but maybe it's worth a look. I've been thinking about a Fender too...

Quote by nekromantic
id take the grestch, but then again that suits my needs well

Most people a talk to seem to recommend the Gretsch