Inspired by the physics thread. I am taking advanced psychology in high school, very interesting.

Ok, discuss

Heres a few branches to get started.

psychoanalysis

Clinical Psychology

Parapsychology

Forensic Psychology

Psychoanalysis - a systematic structure of theories concerning the relation of conscious and unconscious psychological processes.

Clinical Psychology - the branch of psychology dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of personality and behavioral disorders.

Parapsychology - the branch of psychology that deals with the investigation of purportedly psychic phenomena, as clairvoyance, extrasensory perception, telepathy, and the like.

Forensic Psychology - intersection between Psychology and the legal system. It is a division of applied psychology concerned with the collection, examination and presentation of psychological evidence for judicial purposes.

GO
Last edited by Z_cup_boy at Sep 11, 2008,
i'm a first year uni student and am taking psychology as an elective. so far it has been incredibly interesting
discuss.
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
I just started a BSc in Applied Psychology.

I love it.

Not quite ready to go into detail yet though.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
I think Freud was a dumbass.

If he was alive I'm sure he'd say "You're only saying that because you want to sex your mum."
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
What's with all the psychoanalysis hate?

Yes, the theories are very largely unscientific and cannot be proven (nor can they be disproven). However, psychoanalysis not only gets criticism from within the discipline, but from outside it as well.

Like it or not, Freud, Erikson, and Melanie Klein have created some pretty amazing (albeit strange) models for treating people clinically without the use of medication and it works for a lot of people. For a lot of issues it takes a long time, but for others it absolutely does a lot.

Not only that, but psychoanalysis pioneered the thought of the unconscious and the different layers to a person's mind and personality. It also happened to pioneer the field of developmental psychology, although those theories have essentially been destroyed over the years.

Does anyone else think that psychoanalysis should not be discredited within the field as much as it is?

Oh, and if I believed in God, he would be Albert Ellis. The man is a genius.
Senior at Central Michigan University majoring in Psychology. My life seems to revolve around psychology and music...weeeeeeeee
I've just started Psychology A-level, it's really interesting

At the moment we're studying Memory as part of Cognitive Psychology, and Attachments as part of Developmental Psychology. All the experiments, like The Stanford Prison Experiment and Pavlov's Dogs, are so fascinating.
Originally Posted by filthandfury

haha

I congratulate you good sir on being EPIC.
Quote by Inimical
Does anyone else think that psychoanalysis should not be discredited within the field as much as it is?

Totally. People always seem to associate Freud with psychoanalysis, and Freud had a major messiah complex, so to people seem to give it a bad rep. Personally I study it in and outside of the classroom.
I plan on majoring in Psychology and I'm taking a course at the community college. I love the subject and I wouldn't mind researching some Parapsychology type things but I would love to work in near any field of Psychology.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I'm about to start my second year doing Psychology at uni, one of the modules in the first year was about how a lot of what we did at A level is wrong..that was fun
Ok, I do not want to have sex with my mum, mmkay? He made some outrageous remarks about children who resisted sexual advances from their own parents. His ID, Super Ego and Ego model is flawed, I understand there is no physical structure for these, but it what would have been more accurate would be calling it more like a process rather than abstract sections of your brain.
Quote by Z_cup_boy
Ok, I do not want to have sex with my mum, mmkay? He made some outrageous remarks about children who resisted sexual advances from their own parents. Hid ID, Super Ego and Ego model is flawed, I understand there is no physical structure for these, but it what would have been more accurate would be calling it more like a process rather than sections of your brain.
Well we have to remember that yes, Freud was wrong about an awful lot, but he was right about just as much.

His theories were based off of Victorian women with mental illness, of course they are going to be overly sexualized, but psychoanalysis doesn't stop with Freud. I went to a Kleinian psychoanalyst and it worked wonders for me.

Edit: And he also based all of those theories on the parents, not the children themselves.

I do agree, the Oedipus/Elektra complex is ridiculous and terribly flawed.
Last edited by Inimical at Sep 11, 2008,
I'd rather talk about classical and operant conditioning as well as behavioural patterns. It's the only ones I found interesting at all.
Quote by buddha
isnt there a law against not shaving? thats somewere in our constitution. i think it goes something like a girl maybe be a freak in the sheets but no be wild down stairs is treason and for that she will be beheaded.-good old Benjamin F.

The only thing that freud got right was that not all mental processes are concious.

All his other successes can be attributed to things such as the placebo effect and the fact that talking about things can generally make you feel better about shit.
oh man I just took a test on operant and classical conditioning, for some reason I could not distinctly recall the differences between unconditioned response, unconditioned stimulus, conditioned response and conditioned stimulus. I understood the examples but when defining the different parts of other examples than the ones explained I ****ed up
Woo psychology!!! I'm a 3rd Year Bachelor degree Psychology student!!!! my favourite units on my course are the comparative units ie studying animals to further our understanding of human behaviour. I enjoy my social psychology units too...things like conformity, obedience and behaviour in groups. Freud did a lot for psychology but much of his work is really unfounded and actually based on work people have been doing for yours. The concept of Id and Ego are some 300 years older than Freud. A lot of people just associate him with sex etc. but his contribution to Psychology is a lot greater than this. His work on the unconscious taught us much about things that had never been studied fully before. Anyway sorry to go on :-) if any of u A Level students wanna ask me stuff about psychology at degree level or if u need any help wit work etc just PM me be glad to help you all. i got an A at A level
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
lol I'm taking Intro to Psych in high skool now. Yea i'm at novice level, but I want to study psych in college, and hopefully, become a psychiatrist. I'm hella interested in Music Psychology and how music affects the mind. I don't have any input now since I havn't learned anything, but we'll see later on. Isn't there already a psych thread? Just wondering, since I've seen some juicy topics in there.
Word, well yea like i said, I have a rough picture on freud and all those scientists. We're learning about parts of the brain now, so i guess thats chill. And my prof keeps emphasizing thinking outside the box, which i know is essential, but i suck at. As hard as i try, I have no creativity.

But what I find interesting are the stories he tells us about the railroad worker who got a pole blasted through his frontal lobe, but could still do his normal job. And also the story where some pedestrian was getting beat up by a few muggers and a crowd of like 30 people were watching, but no one did anything. Human group mentality and all that. You guys probly know all these, but i thought it'd be cool to share. hah