Page 1 of 2
As all of you are musicians, im guessing you are all fairly creative people who are interested in the arts.

I was just wondering how many people here like visual art, like paintings and drawings etc. I know its a huge thing in the modern world, and probably just as big as music.

Personaly i could never get into art as much as i have with music. If i look at a picture, ill look at it for a few seconds or so, and then carry on. It doesn't really capture me or seem special at all. Not in the way music does. I don't see how people can spend hours staring at pictures in galleries. Paintings are more of a display of skill to me, but i can't see it as more than that. Sorry if i sounding very arrogant. So what do other people think? Am i just artisticly emotionless (Sp?)? Is art really on the same level as music, as some people would claim.

Say here!
I can't stand any form of art apart from those famous rennaisance paintings like the mona lisa which are kinda cool and music i like.

any other kind of art, especially minimalism is all communism crap.

the point steve coogan made on saxondale about grafiti is exactly how i feel.
Stand up and cheer if you like SimCity

Play Up Pompey, Pompey Play Up
THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
Same really, guess you need to have a passion for things like art, music etc.
Id rather go into a guitar shop and look at stuff than an art gallery.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
I don't know much about art, but I know what I like.

I like some of Repin's works.

I actually prefer stuff that's well drawn and shows skill and control of the medium. The visual equivalent of shred, if you like. I couldn't appreciate the emotional value of art for a long time. I guess it's something you grow to like.
I like some things, and dislike others.
IMO, if you have to explain your art to an average punter, it's pretentious sh*te, and not doing a very good job of getting a 'message' across(why all art these days has to 'say' something, rather than simply being beautiful is beyond me, really).
I can appreciate it and get into it, but not nearly as much as I can with music.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
What is with all these art threads today?
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
im not really an art man. i guess i like art that has a definite meaning, especially protest, but generally i dont get captivated in the same way as music. some art is seriously crap though... i mean a bin on a lampost? thats not art its a bunch of chavs with a ladder...
I love my keyboardist, he's hot.

Quote by phlip999
The Pit is the epitome of higher learning and full of intillectual people who help the masses solve their problems.

The Llama Forum Bagel Group
I like Frank Warren's stuff im not sure how many of you class that as art but i like that sorta stuff.
I ****ing love it.

I saw a Picasso exhibit and a Dali one in Madrid.

They were both the coolest things ever.

I stood in the same room as the Guernica. Never has a work of art been so humbling and awe-inspiring at the same time.
Quote by sashki
They inspire one another. It's an art.

Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
If it looks cool, why not. But art galleries? No. Rhapsody album covers are where it's at.
Quote by Kensai
I know a good joke:

Women's rights.
Quote by Chubbychunks
I know a good joke:

Kensai's life.
Aye, more graphical art for me. I'm sat here trying to catch up with 6 weeks of prep work for my A2 graphics course
Quote by Skwisgar
The trip would reach its climax when you came across a character filling a pool via fapping and attempting to drown innocent people in it

Quote by Diet_coke_head
I ran up and started screaming rape because I knew she would never cheat on me.
i love graffiti its an amazin expression of art when done properly i.e not just a bunch of idiots with a marker pen. when i did my gcse art i found a great artist who i based my project on. Aubrey beardsley http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aubrey_Beardsley .did some great minimal work
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!

Are you people serious? Saying you don't like visual art is like saying you don't like picture/paintings/any sort of design really. Don't think "art" is just those dumbass rectangles you see in the modern art galleries. Art is expressions, whatever they may be.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Last edited by Kensai at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by SlipknotRule93
any other kind of art, especially minimalism is all communism crap.

the point steve coogan made on saxondale about grafiti is exactly how i feel.

*Screws up face*

Wat. WAT! :/

Edit - this threads full of BS apart from about 2 replies.
Quote by CTFOD
What is with all these art threads today?

just what i was thinking, avatar with section of red hair.

Quote by Jackolas
*Screws up face*

Wat. WAT! :/

Edit - this threads full of BS apart from about 2 replies.

i've had to compose some minimalism for my music gcse and i finished it today. it pissed the hell out of me.

so... repetative... so... irritating... come to hate... my own creation...

*breaks down crying uncontrolably*

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
I'm going to take this opportunity to initiate my campaign to replace the phrase "Taking a shit" with "Busting a grumpy."
^

WHAT THE FLYING F*UCK!

SOME GUY GOT PAYED FOR THAT?!

i'd better buy myself a soviet flag and get some moneys

THE WiLDHEARTS

Quote by goest
Quote by sashki

I actually prefer stuff that's well drawn and shows skill and control of the medium. The visual equivalent of shred, if you like.

Chuck Close ftw
Quote by Ikey
yes.
my favorite artist is Yves Klein

I'd go to his exhibition just to pull a facepalm at every painting.

And now that I think of it, I like 80's album covers. These days, they're all minimalist. But if you look at album covers of heavy metal bands, Iron Maiden being the most obvious example, they are works of art.

If I ever release an album, I want to have a work of art like that on the cover.
Quote by xX*Zeppelin*Xx
Chuck Close ftw

Holy shit someone drew that?!

Quote by sashki
I'd go to his exhibition just to pull a facepalm at every painting.

And now that I think of it, I like 80's album covers. These days, they're all minimalist. But if you look at album covers of heavy metal bands, Iron Maiden being the most obvious example, they are works of art.

If I ever release an album, I want to have a work of art like that on the cover.

Eugh I hate album covers like that, theres too much going on in such a small space
Yes, and I'm at art college at the moment.

My favourite artist is Chiharu Shiota.

And I, like Ikey has done, am going to do my best to provoke the close-minded twats in the pit, by pronouncing my love for Rothko.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
^

WHAT THE FLYING F*UCK!

SOME GUY GOT PAYED FOR THAT?!

well he didnt do it for money(in fact in one of his pieces he threw gold he was paid into the river seine).
he was expressing what he thought to be the most beautiful thing- the void. he believed that this was the most beautiful colour and the best representation of space.
he also invented a way of holding a dry pigmant in resin so that the colour didnt change when drying.
now extra flamey
Quote by GiantRaven

Eugh I hate album covers like that, theres too much going on in such a small space

What if it had a single, central subject, but was painted in great detail? (like the work fo Chuck Close posted above. It took me a while to realise that it wasn't a photograph.)

The thing about art is that, unlike music, it doesn't really have to make sense to be beautiful. Yes, you get atonal music, but many people, myself included, tend to find that difficult to appreciate. Whereas in art, you can create something surreal or abstract, and it will be understood.

Also, because vision is our primary sense, there's more we can convey through images than through sounds. If I could draw, I would.
Quote by Ikey
well he didnt do it for money(in fact in one of his pieces he threw gold he was paid into the river seine).
he was expressing what he thought to be the most beautiful thing- the void. he believed that this was the most beautiful colour and the best representation of space.
he also invented a way of holding a dry pigmant in resin so that the colour didnt change when drying.

Surely he should have given the money to a charity or something, rtaher than just throw it away.
Stupid garlic-chomping Frenchie.
I prefer visual art over music, for me most of the time going out taking photos or sketching/painting and looking at other peoples art is more enjoyable than playing/listening to music.
Why does not liking abstract art make you closed minded?

We've discussed it with music a billion times. Not liking hip-hop/dance/blues/shred/Radiohead/Muse doesn't make you closed minded. It just means you have different taste.
Quote by sashki

We've discussed it with music a billion times. Not liking hip-hop/dance/blues/shred/Radiohead/Muse doesn't make you closed minded. It just means you have different taste.

I don't mean people that don't like it, I mean people that go OMG WTF IS DAT ITS LIEK NOT ART ITS JUST SOME FUKIN TWAT PUTTIN SHIT ONNA PAGE.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by rabidguitarist
I don't mean people that don't like it, I mean people that go OMG WTF IS DAT ITS LIEK NOT ART ITS JUST SOME FUKIN TWAT PUTTIN SHIT ONNA PAGE.

Well, they clearly disapprove for the reason that they think it makes too little sense to convey anything.
If I dropped a toothbrush on a violin, is it music?
I enjoy paintings and drawing to an extent. I bought a poster of a painting I saw in Seattle for my room but I've yet to hang it up.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
here is a very good site with lots of docs/interviews http://www.ubu.com/
i also like kurt schwitters

and nam june paik

and of course Bruce Nauman
now extra flamey
Last edited by Ikey at Sep 11, 2008,
I love visual art.

Photography, in particular. Ask Kensai. I can give some pretty good critques.

I should REALLY be taking more pictures. I haven't taken any in like 6 months. I've gotten some motivation from a certain Mr. Bergstrom (), but haven't had the drive to get out and just take some picutres.

*Sigh*

Hopefully I'll get out of this funk soon.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
If I dropped a toothbrush on a violin, is it music?

if you intended to, i would say yes
now extra flamey
Quote by sashki

Wat?
Only the kickass ultra-detailed 16th century ones. Those are the bomb. Andy Warhol sucks.
Quote by HuckIt
I didn't find it that funny when I saw myself doing him in missionary position...

Quote by Oblivion_Rps
I was having sex with a female dolphin. In the dream I was like:
"YEEEEEEEAAAARGH I'M SCREWIN' A FEMALE DOLPHIN!!!" and when I woke up I was like:
"... wtf"
Page 1 of 2