So first off I would need the amp. 400$
A Bad Monkey Overdrive. 50$

And I don't know of anything else. Especially speaker types and cost. And tube types and cost. And someone mentioned "dummy insert jacks" what would they be for?

I guess left out important stuff =(
Used for?- Thrash, Classic Rock, some Metalcore
Where?- Bedroom. Can turn it up on weekends though
Budget?- 600$ MAX
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Last edited by Pinky19 at Sep 11, 2008,
can't help u much but i can say get a celestion v30 speaker.
Gear:
Fender Highway One HSS Strat
Art & Lutherie Cedar Acoustic
Line6 UX2
No amp ... Help me find an amp
wat are u wanting to do with it?
mines great an i haven't changed anything on it and the distortion is good by itself an im playing with a strat with single coils.
well the stock amp itself is ok - if you "need" to modify it then you probably aren't buying the right amp for your purpose.

what do you play
what is the useage for
budget
guitar
????

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Hit up the Valveking thread....

Heres a short list of stuff you can do but might not really need to do.. It all depends on your ear, the genre of music you play and personal tastes.

Bad Monkey
Eq Pedal
Noise Gate
JJ or Tung Sol preamps
JJ power amps
Vintage 30, Veteran 30 or Eminence Speakers
Patch cable for effects loop if effects arent used
Dummy plug in input jack
Reverb pedal
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Hit up the Valveking thread....

Heres a short list of stuff you can do but might not really need to do.. It all depends on your ear, the genre of music you play and personal tastes.

Bad Monkey
Eq Pedal
Noise Gate
JJ or Tung Sol preamps
JJ power amps
Vintage 30, Veteran 30 or Eminence Speakers
Patch cable for effects loop if effects arent used
Dummy plug in input jack
Reverb pedal

I have been. And get answers that are not that specific. I don't know what dummy input jacks are, which I asked for an explanation.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Quote by Pinky19
I have been. And get answers that are not that specific. I don't know what dummy input jacks are, which I asked for an explanation.

Its all explained in the thread but it does require some leg work on your end and a bit of reading.

When they say dummy jack they mean just plug in a 1/4 adaptor thats not connected to anything into the input not being used.

Example:

Check out the Peavey Ultra as a point of refrence... Except im using a cable connecting the amp to another amp.
to be honest, this is the kind of thing you could pour money into and still not be happy with the sound.
you'd be much better off just getting a good amp in the first place.
if your going modding the valveking and replacing the speaker and the whole valve set then it'll get very pricey
Ibanez, my question still has not been answered. WHY do you do that? And the store near me jsut got a 6505 so I might try then then get a used 5150, or try out that Bugera 6260 some day.

The dummy jack gives it more clarity and 'oomph'. Also, if you bought the Valveking used ($250) and the Bad Monkey used ($25?) you could save even more money for great speakers and tubes, effects and such...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'm happy with my VK with everything stock.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
I'm gonna try and get a 5150, but then it might not sound good at low volumes... Grrr

just crank it then.
Quote by dcdossett65
Life is too short to worry about this crap.

Who.

Cares.
It ain't worth it, mate
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Yeah, this is a better example of this: "You can polish shit, but it's still shit".

The VK isn't shit, but you'd be better off buying a better amp in the first place.
Quote by Pinky19
I'm gonna try and get a 5150, but then it might not sound good at low volumes... Grrr

You don't need to crank it for it to sound good.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You don't need to crank it for it to sound good.

I heard it was crazy fizzy

Quote by Pinky19
Ibanez, my question still has not been answered. WHY do you do that? And the store near me jsut got a 6505 so I might try then then get a used 5150, or try out that Bugera 6260 some day.

Blah semantics lol

Go with a Peavey Ultra, Triple or 5150 also yes Bugera's are a good option. Only issue your gonna have is getting a classic rock tone but everything else will sound fine at low volumes. A good classic rock tone is going to require you to boost the poweramps but that is out of the question for most amps in a bedroom environment anyway.
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Blah semantics lol

Go with a Peavey Ultra, Triple or 5150. Also yes Bugera's are a good option. Only issue your gonna have is getting a classic rock tone but everything else will sound fine at low volumes. A good classic rock tone is going to require you to boost the poweramps but that is out of the question for most amps in a bedroom environment anyway.

A 6505 is the EXACT same as a 5150, right? Meaning it will sound the same at all volumes, including low-ish ones, right?

Quote by Pinky19
A 6505 is the EXACT same as a 5150, right? Meaning it will sound the same at all volumes, including low-ish ones, right?

Correct 6505 and 5150's are the same amp just different name.
Quote by HighPotency
The 6505 has 1 fewer (power?) tubes i think. The 5150 has 6. I hear the 6505 gets better cleans than the 5150 too.

Your confusing a 6505 with a 6505 Plus and a 5150 with a 5150 II. Also the difference is an added preamp tube not a power tube. 6505 Plus and 5150 II being the amps with extra preamp tube and better cleans. Please dont post if you dont know about a subject. A sure sign is posting with the words I think in them.
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Your confusing a 6505 with a 6505 Plus and a 5150 with a 5150 II. Also the difference is an added preamp tube not a power tube. Please dont post if you dont know about a subject. A sure sign is posting with the words I think in them.

Ok mom

The 6505 is 1 fewer in preamp tubes, i got mixed up, my bad. Jeez. Some people on here i swear just love smacking down anyone they can to make themselves feel better...
Quote by HighPotency
Ok mom

The 6505 is 1 fewer in preamp tubes, i got mixed up, my bad. Jeez. Some people on here i swear just love smacking down anyone they can to make themselves feel better...

At least he is right. I think.

Quote by HighPotency
Ok mom

That wasnt a slight mix up, pretty much everything you said in that post was wrong. Which would have confused the hell out of the TS and could have cost him money if he purchased the wrong thing on your recommendation. Its just common since man, if dont know what your talking about dont talk about it atleast do some research first.
Quote by Pinky19
At least he is right. I think.

Peavey 5150/6505 4 6L6GC's and 5 12AX7/ECC83S's
Peavey 5150 II/6505+ 4 6L6GC's and 6 12AX7/ECC83S's (Better Cleans, Seperate EQ for Rhythm and Lead)
Last edited by IbanezPsycho at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by IbanezPsycho

Peavey 5150/6505 4 6L6GC's and 5 12AX7/ECC83S's
Peavey 5150 II/6505+ 4 6L6GC's and 6 12AX7/ECC83S's (Better Cleans, Seperate EQ for Rhythm and Lead)

What is the difference in having more in the preamp and things like that?

Look for an Ultra Plus instead. It's basicly a triple-x with a little bit less refined sound.

Edit: and very, very cheap used
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Last edited by bjoern_swe at Sep 11, 2008,
Quote by Pinky19

I thought it was explained fairly well in here.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=16238840#post16238840

It wasn't in the manual or listed as an option, we just kind of stumbled upon it.

The Bad Monkey (or any OD pedal) is not really a mod or a necessity it just helps the amp out, like it does for lots of amps. If I sell or trade my VK i'll keep the Bad Monkey.

I'm probably going to get a WGS Veteran 30 speaker but it's not required. It is $65 so after that I'm in for a grand total of $475 not including BM. An EQ pedal is another good thing to have but that is also true for other amps.