Page 1 of 3
I always thought of Ibanez to be more metal-ish guitars, but I see some punk, pop punk, and ska bands play them.

Reel Big Fish and The Offspring both use ibanez just to name two.

So any reason why they use these? What would be a good ibanez for punk, if it even really exists?
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
u no wht i agree personally, ive played ibanez and i like them "for metal"
nothing more
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
Quote by grifff
because ibanez are the shit

this is why^^^

the best for punk and stuff would probly be one of the S series guitars, they're built to be good all around guitars RG's are more hard rock and metal oriented
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by dreams broken
u no wht i agree personally, ive played ibanez and i like them "for metal"
nothing more

Never played an Artcore then?

The Ibanez range is generally pretty good, especially the HSS/HSH guitars which are pretty versatile.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
well i guess artcores r OK but it really depends on the amp
Quote by Jackolas
You are my favorite August 08er, sir!

One day, when the time has come,
The truth will shine, we'll never run.
We both know just how feel,
I'm praying to god that this is real.
I really don't believe in "metal" guitars. You can play metal on one of those stupid Hannah Montanna guitars. I've seen it happen. All you need is the right amp and distortion, tuning, and pickups. I think one of Slipknot's guitarists plays on a Telecaster.

EDIT: Don't believe me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbPPuvfM7c watch
Last edited by Soroki at Sep 11, 2008,
Reel Big Fish isn't metal? Have you heard them with Chuck Schuldiner on vocals?
two and a half men.
Ibanez has an insane range of sound. If you dont believe me, compare the tone of Noodles to Tom Morello.
But to get a really raw punk rock sound from an Ibanez Id imagine you would need to use a fuzz box of some kind. Or go all super DIY and readjust the wiring on your amp.
If you're set on an Ibanez something like this would be a good choice, humbucker in the bridge for drive and coil splitting to use it as an SSS guitar. The bridge isn't exactly a FR but would hold its tuning better than something like a Fender Synchronised Trem.
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Quote by Soroki
I really don't believe in "metal" guitars. You can play metal on one of those stupid Hannah Montanna guitars. I've seen it happen. All you need is the right amp and distortion, tuning, and pickups. I think one of Slipknot's guitarists plays on a Telecaster.

EDIT: Don't believe me? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilbPPuvfM7c watch

Which has emgs in it if im not mistaken.
Quote by Bloodavian
Its not about the Radio its about talent, the front man has a bigger vocal range than Micheal Jackson and he can sing from heavey metal to high pitched ...No.12 on the top 20 under rated guitarists of ALL TIME...etc

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by PenFighter19
Ibanez has an insane range of sound. If you dont believe me, compare the tone of Noodles to Tom Morello.
But to get a really raw punk rock sound from an Ibanez Id imagine you would need to use a fuzz box of some kind. Or go all super DIY and readjust the wiring on your amp.

something like a big muff? Ive only been playing for a year, my knowledge of effects, and things about the guitar in general are limited.

Edit:

Quote by roythereaper
If you're set on an Ibanez something like this would be a good choice, humbucker in the bridge for drive and coil splitting to use it as an SSS guitar. The bridge isn't exactly a FR but would hold its tuning better than something like a Fender Synchronised Trem.

Those look pretty good. Whats the price?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Last edited by David_Bowie=GOD at Sep 11, 2008,
"Which has emgs in it if im not mistaken."

You mean the Telecaster in Slipknot or the Hannah Montanna guitar? hahahah
Quote by Soroki
"Which has emgs in it if im not mistaken."

You mean the Telecaster in Slipknot or the Hannah Montanna guitar? hahahah

telecaster. lol

Imagine hannah montana playing heavy metal.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
telecaster. lol

Imagine hannah montana playing heavy metal.

Oh god.......just....no. Lol she would destroy the music industry in a fiery explosion. She is a horrid musician....
Quote by gopherthegreat
Who are you people?!

I clicked onto here from the main page thinking it was in the Electric Guitar forum >.> if you don't recognise me.

Unless you're referring to why there's discussion of Hannah Montana. That's a different topic entirely.
Call me Callum

Quote by Swap-Meet
Any guitar can do pretty much anything with the right effects, and shit....Marty Volume uses a ****ing flying V...

I really liek the shortscale fenders (Getting a Mustang in like a month )....Does Ibanez make any short scales by any chance?

they make the micros i think. And mustangs are great, prolly gonna want to put a tune o matic bridge on there instead though.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by Swap-Meet
I really liek the shortscale fenders (Getting a Mustang in like a month )....Does Ibanez make any short scales by any chance?

The Jetking maybe? I'm not actually sure what the scale is but as far as I can remember it's not exceptionally long, pretty comfortable to play regardless.
Call me Callum

and to that one link posted a while back, i ask again, how much are those?
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
they make the micros i think. And mustangs are great, prolly gonna want to put a tune o matic bridge on there instead though.

Uhhhhhhhh....Just cause Kurt Cobain did, doesn't mean you have to... Apparently it stays in tune really well with the stock bridge + I don't use the trem.

Quote by roythereaper
The Jetking maybe? I'm not actually sure what the scale is but as far as I can remember it's not exceptionally long, pretty comfortable to play regardless.

Meh, I may look into a non-fender / squier guitar once I buy Jag + a Mustang
To DavidBowie=God, the price in sterling is £290 (around $590 after a quick search on Froogle). EDIT: Sorry for taking so long to reply with that, I missed your edit.

To Swap-Meet, it's nice to know you're aiming high, I just wish Fender would make a Jaguar with two covered humbuckers in a colour other than black, the tobacco burst Jaguar is gorgeous.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
To DavidBowie=God, the price in sterling is £290 (around $590 after a quick search on Froogle). EDIT: Sorry for taking so long to reply with that, I missed your edit.

To Swap-Meet, it's nice to know you're aiming high, I just wish Fender would make a Jaguar with two covered humbuckers in a colour other than black, the tobacco burst Jaguar is gorgeous.

Uhh..you mean aiming high in terms of guitars? Job + no bills to pay = BLING BLING MO ****A'

Jaguar in sunburst :

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000038119.jpg

The all black Jag is not nearly as cute as the Sunburst, but sound + feel > color
Quote by Swap-Meet
Uhh..you mean aiming high in terms of guitars? Job + no bills to pay = BLING BLING MO ****A'

Jaguar in sunburst :

http://www.harmony-central.com/ProductImages/Large/000038119.jpg

The all black Jag is not nearly as cute as the Sunburst, but sound + feel > color

Yeah, that one you linked to is so close to perfect, just needs some pup covers :p regarding the job, hell yeah, I need some sort of income in the next year or University's going to cripple me if I want new gear at all. Still waiting for word from a couple of jobs, so maybe I'll see something.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
Yeah, that one you linked to is so close to perfect, just needs some pup covers :p regarding the job, hell yeah, I need some sort of income in the next year or University's going to cripple me if I want new gear at all. Still waiting for word from a couple of jobs, so maybe I'll see something.

You can buy pickup covers for like 5$ -_-

Pickup covers may look cool, but they just muffle your sound.
Quote by Swap-Meet
You can buy pickup covers for like 5$ -_-

Pickup covers may look cool, but they just muffle your sound.

Hmm, the problem is is that the pickups appear to be screwed directly into the scratchplate, I don't know too much about pickup covers bought seperately but I'm pretty sure you'd need to have them mounted onto a ring, which the Jag doesn't have. As for muffling the sound it doesn't make a difference if the pickups are high quality, Gibson used covered PAFs for years until... Eric Johnson, I think, took them off. They worked fine up until that point and plenty of musicians still use covered humbuckers.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
Hmm, the problem is is that the pickups appear to be screwed directly into the scratchplate, I don't know too much about pickup covers bought seperately but I'm pretty sure you'd need to have them mounted onto a ring, which the Jag doesn't have. As for muffling the sound it doesn't make a difference if the pickups are high quality, Gibson used covered PAFs for years until... Eric Johnson, I think, took them off. They worked fine up until that point and plenty of musicians still use covered humbuckers.

Trust me, go in GG&A forum, and ask the peopel there, they'll tell you that they do muffle the sound, anyways....it's your choice.
Quote by Swap-Meet
Trust me, go in GG&A forum, and ask the peopel there, they'll tell you that they do muffle the sound, anyways....it's your choice.

Yea, but GG&A is, dare I say it, full of elitists. It's all subjective anyway.
Call me Callum

Quote by roythereaper
Yea, but GG&A is, dare I say it, full of elitists. It's all subjective anyway.

How's it subjective :/?

It's a fact that they muffle the sound....Actually, not too sure if muffle is the correct word to use for it, but I know when you do take of the pickups covers, the guitar is clearer.
Quote by Swap-Meet
How's it subjective :/?

It's a fact that they muffle the sound....Actually, not too sure if muffle is the correct word to use for it, but I know when you do take of the pickups covers, the guitar is clearer.

Muffle isn't really the right word, it's bassier and less harsh. If you consider Joe Bonamassa, blues guitarist and notorious tone-whore has original covered PAFs worth a couple of grand in one of his LPs. Not to rely too much on "what the pros use" but I think that says something as far as the tonal quality of covered pickups goes.
Call me Callum

^Not clearer, harsher. Covers make the sound smoother.

EDIT: To Swap-Meet
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
^Not clearer, harsher. Covers make the sound smoother.

EDIT: To Swap-Meet

Meh, from what I've seen the majority of people say they're clearer, mustangs sound pretty awesome with pickup covers on though, no clue how'd they would sound without covers.

I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be hard to get covers for the Classic Player HH, just take the ones that are on the Jaguar HH, and put them on the classic player HH, and presto!

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR,

buy a jazzmaster, looks like a jag, without the metal pannels + it comes in sunburst + big ass white pickup guards :P
Last edited by Swap-Meet at Sep 11, 2008,
Fletcher Dragge of Pennywise plays a 1 and 1/4 size RG420 guitar custom built for him by Ibanez.
Anyone notice how off topic this got?

I think noodles of the offspring has his own signature model coming out.
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Quote by David_Bowie=GOD
Anyone notice how off topic this got?

I think noodles of the offspring has his own signature model coming out.
This is barely off topic. If the cuteness of kittens was being discussed, that would actually be a normal punk forum thread.

I think an Ibanez is used in early Jawbreaker.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433
This is barely off topic. If the cuteness of kittens was being discussed, that would actually be a normal punk forum thread.

I havent posted here a lot in a while, I forget what normal is here.

Edit: the punk & ska forum that is
Quote by Bloodavian

1-Bloodavian 0-Forkman.

^Fail^
Page 1 of 3